8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "The Maggie" on blu-ray.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Maggie" on blu-ray.
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 27, 2016 07:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks if there was one film I wanted to see restored its the Ealing film "The Maggie" filmed in Glasgow, the West Coast of Scotland and at Ealing studios itself way back in 1953-54.

Although many Ealing films are well known, this little "gem" was for many years, must be around 50 years, was simply forgotten.

Thanks to StudioCanal films and the "BFI" it was released onto Blu-ray in 2015. Although sadly none of the cast are alive today, it was a real joy to watch this Scottish gem again given a new lease of life and highly recommend it.
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 04:31 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing is, I've never seen it but can hum the tune. It was quite a hit in it's day.

--------------------
Dave

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my personal favourites,

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 03:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple of screen shots from the other night.
 -
from Left to Right Tommy Kearins, Alex Mackenzie, Abe Barker, James Copeland. On you-tube there is a interesting interview with Tommy Kearins made in 2003, he passed away in 2012.
 -
Well known American actor Paul Douglas in a scene with Tommy Kearins with James Copeland in the background.
 -
The Maggie itself
 -
 -

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of us in the UK, this film is being given a TV broadcast on BBC2 on Saturday 11th June at 7.30am.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 08, 2016 02:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, for your info, BBC 1 and 2 are currently available (since more than 20, if not 30, years ago) in Belgium. My TV provider offers them in the standard pack [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2016 03:47 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have realised it would in this day and age. Come to think of it, I was watching BBC1 / BBC2 / ITV / Channel 4 and 5 in Cyprus last month, although I am not sure if the signal is beamed across to New Zealand for Graham to watch?........ over to you Graham!!

--------------------

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2016 04:20 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a stunning print of this on 16mm and I bet its better than any blu ray copy

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 08, 2016 11:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin

Nope we don't get any direct link to BBC1 BBC2 etc [Smile]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2016 01:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the heads up on this Bluray restoration Graham I have ordered mine from Amazon UK where it is currently in their two for £25 promotion.

I added the four disk Masters Of Cinema release of Vertov's Man With A Movie Camera which is also in the deal (usually £24.99 on its own) so almost got The Maggie for free.

Links to both Bluray titles here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maggie-Ealing-Digitally-Restored-Blu-ray/dp/B00U3PW5T6/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1465453675&sr=1-4&keywords=Maggie

And:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Vertov-Masters-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B01BF2YMXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465453288&sr=8-1&keywords=man+with+a+movie+camera

Kevin

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2016 09:14 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome-looking screenshots, Graham -- the detail is simply amazing.

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2016 06:44 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi just got mine came in the post today will show it tonight with a few 16mm shorts

--------------------
kinema king

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2016 03:27 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched my "off air" recording from 11th June (see my previous post here).

An enjoyable film, granted, but still falls into the category of "Once you've seen it......!"

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC