8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Tape to use to hold down film leaders (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Tape to use to hold down film leaders
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 02, 2016 05:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if tape has to be used for whatever reason Adrian, Tom's advice there seems the best. Avoid any that leave residue.

Personally, I try to keep up with film purchases by scrambling around to find enough film clips for each of them, though this must of course, be far more difficult for 16mm than it is currently for 8mm.

This is a different scenario anyhow to the one we were initially speaking of.
That was regarding the use of tape at the core of a spool which from what I said, is completely needless.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 02, 2016 06:52 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i agree there, i never use tape to stick to the core, why would you need to do that? [Confused]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2016 10:42 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can always do what we did at the Cinema.
Simply tuck the leader down gently at the inside of the spool.
No tape needed.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 03, 2016 10:58 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew - I completely agree about avoiding a sticky residue, but if you see the first post of this thread, the objective of it was to try and find sources of non-sticky take in the UK!

I think tails are often taped to 16mm cores because the film is attached more easily than using the groove in them, although I still wish it didn't happen. Taping the tail of an 8mm film to the centre of a reel is bizarre, though, thankfully I don't think I've come across this yet.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 03, 2016 11:04 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run entirely tape free.

I got a really nice print from Derann once time and somehow a tiny little fragment of tape formed this perfect little pyramid and lodged on a guide right where it could gouge the film.

It was below the gate so the first time I watched the film it was perfectly OK. The next night I said "I liked that so much I want to see it again", and now there was a big green scratch. (I lucked out here: I could have ruined half my collection before I discovered this.)

-and of course this shut me down until I went through the machine with a flashlight and magnifying glass and found and removed the spike. Then I had to run some sacrificial footage to return the machine to the active list.

I treat the stuff like nuclear waste now.

(I guess even hobbies need a little stress to be worthwhile: you value what you earn!)

I like those little soft blocks that fit between the flanges to hold the leader down. Does anybody know who makes them?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2016 04:36 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said before you don't need tape at all.
Simply tuck it in to the spool.
I only tape my leaders down if I am sending a print to someone. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2016 04:15 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The second hand 400ft print of Chinatown (bought this weekend) has a strip of about 5mm wide tape fixed to the case. I though some prints came new with this and this seems to confirm it.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC