8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Beatles New Release ! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Beatles New Release !
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A project i have been working on with Ron Howard for a number of months now in collaboration with Apple Corps and Eatdesign doing the digital transfer on my archive. Will be finally be in screens for a one off showing on the 15th September.

http://www.thebeatlesliveproject.com/#home

http://thebeatleseightdaysaweek.com/

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 10:37 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - congratulations on completing this! I'm involved in a small community cinema in Croydon (The David Lean Cinema) that may well consider screening this, although it might have to be after 15 September.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adrian,it's been a labour of love but enjoyable to complete. Nice to know you're involved in small community cinema, with your screening at The David Lean Cinema. That might be still possible as the 15th of September will be a one off live screening of the event via the Odeon Leicester Square here in the UK along with selected cinemas across the country. But if you need any further assistance just let me know.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 11:00 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks exciting! WOuld love to watch it one day.

Paul played here(in Hamilton) last night!! Amazing playlist:
http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/6778635-rockingham-sir-paul-teams-up-with-the-argylls-to-give-hamilton-a-special-highland-treat/

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 22, 2016 11:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul will be singing until he has absolutely no singing voice anymore ...

and that's totally fine with me. He may not have the pipes he once had, (heck, I have a hard times with those high notes these days myself), but hearing him belt out those wonderful ole tunes is already welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 22, 2016 01:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm old now. Not just because my left knee needs exercise just to do it's normal knee job without pain, but because I remember a lot of the great Beatles songs from when they first came out.

It was the sixties! Nixon hadn't been to China, there was still lead in gasoline, a computer was something that nobody but NASA had and this wonderful thing called "The Transistor" was still new! (We had no idea what it was, or what it did, but it was somehow good!)

Every kid barely old enough had a "Transistor Radio". They were always described by how many transistors they had (apparently more was better...). I had one and heard so many of those great songs when they were number one on the charts.

What a pain that they are not only oldies now, but borderline classics. I was talking to one of my son's friends the other day. She is 13 years old. She has no idea who Lucille Ball was and she's even a little vague on Bugs Bunny, but she absolutely knows who the Beatles are.

To me that's what makes something a classic: timelessness. Assuming civilization survives another 100 years, they'll need to surf their 'net to find out exactly what a "Justin Bieber" was.

People will still know about Beethoven, and the Beatles!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am really looking forward to the release of this.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2016 07:41 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, can't wait to see!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 23, 2016 11:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great last line there, Steve! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 27, 2016 06:53 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to say that anyone in reach of south London who misses the initial screening will have an opportunity to see this at the David Lean Cinema in Croydon on Thursday 6 October (2.30 and 7.30pm). I'll add a link when tickets go on sale.

Robert - we are having difficulty establishing whether the cert is 12A and whether the running time is 162 or 180 minutes, so if you could comment on either, I'd be grateful.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2016 09:04 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall being 10 years old and my aunt bought my sister the Hard Day's Night album because she wanted it badly. I remember my aunt saying that 50 years from now nobody will remember The Beatles. She may have been wrong about that.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 27, 2016 12:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a big fan of the Beatles, having watched them develop from a little pop group in Liverpool, with appearances on David Frost's Saturday night show That Was The Week That Was, to their first iconic appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1963. I had just moved to Williamsport Pa the previous November, and was in a bar/restaurant at the time.As soon as the Beatles came on you could hear a pin drop in the restaurant.
But I lost interest and respect for the group when they started promoting the drug culture in the late 60's, and John Lennon just became very weird in his manner and behavior.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 27, 2016 04:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Blu-ray and DVD collector's edition by "Umberella Entertainment" of ..."A Hard Days Night"...looks and sounds great. I would highly recommend it...its really good [Cool] [Smile]

Even when the "The Beatles" went there own way, they still produced some brilliant music. Paul McCartney and Wings did the theme from "Live and Let Die", John Lennon with "Imagine" and many more, and who can forget George Harrison with his huge hit from 1970 "My Sweet Lord"...so much good music out there.

"The Beatles" in there day just produced one hit after another, anyway look out for "A Hard Day's Night" blu-ray believe me, you wont be disappointed.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2016 01:57 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Running time is 180 minutes, this is down to the initial added bonus material of the remastered Shea Stadium. Which wasn't going to be included in the final cut.

Also it's been passed as a 15 if this helps.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 28, 2016 08:15 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Robert, that's much appreciated. In view of the 180 minutes, we might schedule our screenings half an hour earlier than usual!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 02, 2016 07:05 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - there seems to be some uncertainty in UK cinemas about the certificate. Picturehouse have this right, stating 15, but most others seem to be saying 12A.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2016 09:02 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

As I have worked with Picturehouse before the passed certificate would be correct. I think the confusion lies in the one off live streaming on the 15th. Then additional streaming service from the 17th which I can only assume will not include the live streaming of the premier at the Odeon Leicester in London.

Officially the BBFC have not yet passed either showing which has not helped in all the confusion.

Hope that answers your question and concerns regardless in some way.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 02, 2016 09:26 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - sorry to ask another question, but just to make sure I'm interpreting your words correctly, are you saying the 15 cert applies to the streaming on the 15th but possibly won't to later screenings? Ours is a later one and the distributor said 130 mins, including the Shea Stadium footage.

[ September 02, 2016, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, you would be correct in your assumption. The later release would be a 12A with a shorter running time. Though the additional 30 minutes would be included from the remastered Shea Stadium which was added at the last minute before initial release.

[ September 03, 2016, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Robert Tucker ]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2016 03:50 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got my ticket..... Bowl Cd arrived this morning.....vinyl on order...roll on Thursday....the countdown begins!!!!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Dan Peterson
Junior

- posted September 13, 2016 03:24 PM      Profile for Dan Peterson   Email Dan Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Robert, I have been following the release of this film closely!
I'm relatively new to this forum and am excited that a member was involved in Ron Howard's production.
Very cool!
I would love to hear more details of your involvement...

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2016 02:14 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always considered myself a big Beatles fan. I have heard lots of stuff of theirs that Mr.Average won't have done. I have seen masses of footage over the years..... and looking forward to viewing this film, I did expected a lot of stock footage that is always repeated on the many Beatles documentaries that have been made over the years.

For once, it is a pleasure to be proved completely WRONG!

What a breathe of fresh air this film turned out to be! Absolute Beatles GOLD, so wonderful to see so much "new" footage being included in one presentation, and what a delight to see the Shea concert, afterwards, in all its glory on that huge cinema screen.I noted it was a 4K restoration done earlier this year.Does this mean we will get an official Blu Ray release,together with the main feature sometime soon? Congratulations to all concerned. Together with the live feed (never seen live pictures in a cinema before)Thursday night will live in my memory for eternity.

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2016 04:48 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a super 8 sound film of them at the Shea Stadium but the sountrack is compromised by all the screaming girls. Poor old George suffered a broken string on his guitar and it was harrowing to watch him trying to restring and retune his guitar while the concert continued. Probably something that ordinary fans would have missed had they not been musically incined, but having been in a pop group of that era I picked that up immediately, having suffered that misfortune several times while perfoming. Not nice trying to deal with that without a break in performance.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2016 05:22 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

Unfortunately Shea Stadium will never be released on Blu ray in it's entirety. This is down to copyright issues nothing more nothing less. Though Apple Corps likes to drag these things out. (please see below).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7510248/beatles-lawsuit-shea-stadium-footage

Just like the Washington DC concert this has not had an official release in it's entirety which includes Lesley Gore and the Beach Boys.

And for Let it Be the film this will never get a release. Including all the extra footage that currently exists in the archive of Apple Corps whilst Paul and Ringo are still alive.

Eight Days a Week will be available/released on 21st November Two disc deluxe editions for both DVD and Blu-ray.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2016 11:31 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - Thank you for all the information and great to know the main feature WILL be seen in my living room in the very near future.
But... oh... frustration.... Shea Stadium... no dvd release! Another piece of Beatles gold that us fans are being deprived of simply due to company squabbling.How often do we see snippets of film that we know belong to a much longer piece of footage and we cannot see it because of.....copyright.Yes, ownership is important... I wouldn't want someone else benefiting from a piece of work I had put time,effort and resources creating... but I just wish these people would get their act together and come to some agreement so that the people that actually give this footage value I.E. US,the fans,can finally see these nuggets of history that were created because WE were the ones that put the Beatles there in the first place. Thank goodness for last Thursday night's showing that escaped the latest restraints. Seems a pity and a waste that such a magnificent 4K transfer seems destined for the vaults....only to be "rediscovered"....at some point in the future.
The same applies to the "Let It Be" film.I had previously heard the rumour that it would not get a dvd release in the present Beatles' lifetime. However,correct me if I am wrong, this time its fate is in the hands of both Paul and Ringo themselves, as the rumour was that they consider "Let It Be" to be derogatory to the Beatles image. Come on,chaps,lighten up. This is musical history we are talking about here. Have a re-think and maybe..just maybe..we can all share in another memorable Beatles premier like we did last week.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC