8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » CHC Summer Sale weekend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CHC Summer Sale weekend
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is showing on their website as Friday 5th August But 2015, now this year 5th August is a Friday so I'm going. I need some time at the seaside anyway.

Anyone else from here attending?

|  IP: Logged

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2016 02:15 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Brian I will be going for the Friday, I believe Adrian Winchester will also be there and of course I'am sure Bob Nicholls will be there for the week-end, see you there

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 03, 2016 11:02 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'll be there for both days so I hope to say hello. I've never been to Cleethorpes before so I'm looking forward to it.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 03, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
you'll enjoy the weekend no doubt Adrian, but it aint Vegas pal, that's for sure!

Like many of our once bristling seaside town's, they are nothing like our childhood memories of them these days. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2016 03:09 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it definitely on,on the Saturday too? If so, I may pop across the bridge myself, and make an appearance. What time does it start on the Saturday?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2016 09:10 AM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Melvin, yes its on both days and will start at phils shop at opening time 10am.the address is Grimsby Road, its the main road through Grimsby, the shop is just about opposite the football stadium, look out for the floodlights as a guide..

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2016 03:13 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly i cant make this year as have to work ,and also save for up and coming events,harpendon,ealing ,blackpool .but its a good weeksnd and some great events etc at phils own house.its a shame but i just cant do them all.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 04, 2016 03:44 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You Chaps have a splendid time of it, and do report to us stragglers here in the US - Any RKO, keep me in mind - Cheers, Shorty

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2016 03:13 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I spent a VERY enjoyable Saturday in Cleethorpes this weekend,at Classic Home Cinema in the company of Phil,Bob,Brian and many more who were,like me, rummaging through what can only be described as the masses of 8mm and 16mm film that Phil has got on display in those rooms of his. It was sheer heaven!
Although I personally shy away from it, I was impressed with the amount of Standard 8 film Phil had in stock, sound and silent,features and shorts. I know a few of you are still very much into Standard 8 so check out Phil's website.
I can't believe this was my first visit there after collecting films for so many years and only living 45 minutes away. My loss up until now. Roll on the next open day!
I was pleased with my haul....12x 400', a couple of Tom & Jerry's and two or three freebies that were thrown in.

I urge anyone who used to make the journey's to Dudley on Sunday's in the past to the Derann open days, who have not been up here, to give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Cleethorpes is situated on the mouth of the River Humber. Our American colleagues have their "Cinesea" on their east coast.....this can be our "Cineriver" on our east coast!

Thanks for the hospitality to Phil and Co. and here's to the next one!

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2016 04:05 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm what Melvin said (I've only just got home, well had time to project one reel - see later).

It was a great weekend I bought the feature Calamity Jane for £165, several 400ft reels (4 for £25) and at last the final reel I needed to complete the Hello Dolly feature (reel 3) which must be from the same print as most of what I have due to it being marked on the sleeve as a check print and there can't have been many of them. There were 3 Derann Disney features which haven't made it to the lists yet, but I had too much to carry to consider any of them

I missed the visit to Phil's store at home but was invited to the meal in the evening (whip round for a massive lot of Chinese take-away) and a (DVD as Phil by then was too tired to stand by the projector) showing of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes film The Spiderwoman.

I'm going again.

Oh and as a freebee I got a silent colour Roadrunner cartoon, now for the fun of imagining the sound effects :-)

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 07:44 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was similarly impressed. I must have spent around 8 hours looking through the countless films - many as yet unlisted - in the shop and also in Phil's garage on the Saturday afternoon! I came back with a great haul of bargains and rarities and ALL of them looked in excellent or like new condition.

My Super 8 buys included:
'Revenge' Walton 4x400' perfect colour £65
'The Return of Chandu' 400' Niles rarity starring Bela Lugosi £12
A Thunderbird horror trailer reel (No.73) that I'd never come across before £8
'King Kong Vs Godzilla' 400' extract in which Kong battles the giant Octopus. Dutch release with English sound, great Agfa colour. Free (one of the gifts I received, having spent over £30, although everyone had a free short just for turning up)!

16mm buys included:
'Ballerina' rarely seen 1966 Disney live action feature partly shot in Denmark with the Danish Royal Ballet. Nice Agfa print. £30!
Two Popeye cartoons £12 each
A full reel of ads with P&D opening/closing £12
'Polar Express' scope trailer £10
There was also stacks of equipment and accessories and I picked up a rare Eiki extension scope lens holder that can be positioned further forward in front of a zoom. £25

Cleethorpes has an attractive promenade with sandy beaches and attractions like a fun narrow guage light railway that I went on yesterday, so this can also be an enjoyable weekend for families, so long as they don't mind the film collector(s) disappearing for many hours! Even the weather was ideal, with warm sunshine but without being too hot. It took me many years to finally make the trip, but now that I have, I can see why the regulars go back year after year.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 07:59 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you've sold it to me - I'll be there for the next 'un!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 08:28 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Melvin - Your "Cineriver" sounds wonderful - Cheers from Cinesea and Shorty

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - If you are ever in this neck of the woods, it is really worth a visit, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Just on a slightly different note... if any of you are also into model railways, Phil is also a supplier of that equipment,too. He had a fine display of locomotives,carriages etc in one section of his shop and the films etc in another.So, if your hobby list extends in that direction,too, you can kill two birds with one stone as that section is also very much worth checking out.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do want to visit, always have Blackpool in mind as well - Railroads, yes - Cheers, Shorty

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 01:06 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Phil and his wife Denise made us very welcome some years ago
when I hired a transit van and drove all the way down to Cleethorpes England from Aberdeen Scotland.
I picked up a 35mm Projector and 35mm prints Features and Trailers.
He gave my son a 16mm Elf Projector for free along with a couple of Walt Disney 16mm colour shorts to get him started.
We had a tour of his old shop then was invited round to their home to see his home cinema setup and his own collection of films and projectors which included an old sound on disc from the early days of cinema and of course his railway stuff.
A very kind and generous couple indeed.
I hope to visit again soon and see the new shop.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 01:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil did you proud there David, well done. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC