8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » BFI Archive Berkhamsted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BFI Archive Berkhamsted
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 02, 2016 02:44 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question of film storage was recently revived. Click below to see a day at the National Film Archive.
See the massive high shelves of films, all storage horizontally.
http://lomokev.com/portfolio/british-film-institute-bfi-national-archive-berkhamsted/

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 02, 2016 03:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a mighty impressive set of photographs you linked us to there Maurice with this BFI insight!

Thanks for sharing the link here. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2016 03:28 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazing!

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2016 03:41 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has the sentence "Since Shooting these images the main archive has been moved to a new state of the art facility that’s housed in a refurbished bunker that was used to store nuclear weapons."

I hope that means it would contain a nitrate fire if the worst was to happen, but let's all pray it doesn't.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 03, 2016 02:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a tour of the Berkhamstead premises in 1999 and was shown the separate outside stores for nitrate film, each one was relatively small with a non fixed roof, the idea being that if the contents exploded only the roof would be blown off!

As regards the large internal storage as shown in the pictures I was amazed how cold it was in there. I forget the actual temperature which was quoted, but not far above freezing, possibly not much more than 40F.

The projection room was able to run nitrate prints, they were Kalee projectors, these still had all their original fire-prevention equipment, including enclosed spool boxes.

The very interesting day also included a demonstration of repairing old tinted 35mm silent nitrate films which had severely damaged perforations.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC