8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Collector or Hoarder. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Collector or Hoarder.
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 04:38 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert ...now that is a coincidence is it not ?
David...believe me we are not alone.

In fact, I could see when I was reducing my collections (ps: I collect films, trains, LP/vinyls, old radios/electronics) those who bought from me was doing just the same, i.e in the phase of being a hoarder.... [Big Grin]

But since they bring money for me, I just let them.... I am happy, they are happy...everybody is happy... [Wink]

For example, Vinyls just make a comeback while I have been collecting for years. So I am more a cherry picker now in buying, but those new collectors just grab everything, and this is a big opportunity for me.

The same case with train stuffs, it is not easy to get this kind in Indonesia, so they just bought whatever is available.

Films is not some kind popular item here, so mostly I am selling overseas through Ebay. But there are alo new film collectors there.

Overall, by selling those stuffs from my small collection, I could roughly make US$12g (eqv £9,000) only for this year. More I made last year.

So my advise is not to throw anything, but sell it.

I know I am still rather young so have that energy to browse, advertise, do packing, and shipping, something that not everyone can do especially those on retirement age.

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 05:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The packaging and posting is the easy bit.
It's putting up with the ridiculous excuses for non payment and returns that would do my head in, at any age!

There are many time wasters in this hobby just as there are for many other non essential leisure hobby items.
Plenty of chancers and dreamers too!

I went through it all once selling all but one or two select items I kept back of my DJing kit.... Never again, and it was all Like new!

Another time,I put a brand new lovely bathroom suite on e bay once. Buyer MUST collect I stated.
I had people bidding from London who couldn't speak a word of English, Kids screaming in the background when I phoned them to say I hope you're collecting it all the way from London!

They didn't even have a bloody car! They were expecting me to deliver it free!!

No Thanks, the names Hunt not ....!

I can fully understand why collectors at times hand their entire collections over to dealers for a song.
They'd rather take buttons than a cardiac arrest no doubt!

David was giving his stuff away and from the limited numbers where he posted the advertisement, even that wasn't enough to tempt anyone, as they needed to collect it. [Confused]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 06:50 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, people like Steve Osborne of the Reel Image do buy entire collections. I know it will take him many months to go through one particular collection, but he is performing a service. Those films will be sold to living collectors who will appreciate them and keep them in good shape and,hopefully, share them with others by screening them. Otherwise, those collections might just end up sadly in the bin or the city dump.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 06:55 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And to think...somewhere in a bin in a galaxy far far away could lie a non faded Super 8 mint condition print of Grizzy Adams! Or Enter the Dragon Scope! [Embarrassed]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 07:22 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure you are correct there Andrew.
However the time factor involved was very tight indeed.
I never want to repeat that experience.
I think this is my final house move in my lifetime.
Short of winning Millions via the National Lottery I
think I shall be moving out of this one in my " wooden overcoat".
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Winbert that is even more of a coincidence as I too collected Vinyls which I still have.
Also into model railways and vintage hi-fi equipment , comic books , books and vintage magazines.
There are times when I think I have been burning to much candles at the same time.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 08:43 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, there are many who haphazardly will collect every single title a partcular outfit manufactured, and in any condition - For me, being eclectic and of the unusual, my directive is to find key titles in a nice box (I term them "darn-near mint") - For instance, Castle Films had twenty westerns, well, it took a long time and I located all of them, but with some sport-reels, cartoons and such, I'm not as eager - As for the older companies; Mountain, BreakSpear, Regent, Walton and such, those I will search for in earnest as they have varying degrees of rarity, offer the collector a choice of seldom-seen items in other gauges usually and bring a contrast to the similar titles released by other companies in pre-print materials - Archival, many of the earliest and first Single-8 releases were struck away from good 16s and 35 materials, which is why many of them stull are bright and have sharp density - Since 1932, we have enjoyed Std 8 and many rare films were fortunately printed in this gauge for home-use - Take most any Blackhawk, even earlier (BreakSpear as example), had the earliest Vitagraphs which I've never seen - Britain had a treasure of offerings, so God Bless it I always will say - Many choice films in Std 8 were not always made available in Super8, as by 1965 new films made more money and so forth - Well, not to ramble on and on - My nickel on it, Shorty

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 10:34 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was never a hoarder,unless I found the films in a dustbin or they were given to me for free! Even if I was offered big collections,I managed to buy only the titles that interested me.I always buy what I want and nothing more.The (big) exception was last year when I was offered two collections for free (Well,I did pay the postage!).One was for a lot of a hundred +plus cartoons and the other for several hundred (yes!) original silent features and shorts.And these are the only ones I haven't yet finished watching and cataloguing.
If I will buy a complete collection,I will at least ask for a title list and see if the majority,and in regard to the asking price,are to my liking.
Tom,why don't you just make a list of the things you want to throw out,before the boot sale?

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 04:24 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Panayotis...Good to here from you on here.
Sorry I deleted some of your stuff by mistake on that other forum. Hey the guy did over react though considering it was done at the request of the former members who did own the copyright on
the stuff they posted. I then get booted off my admin position.
Not fair or just considering I helped set up the forum and was a
founder member. However I digress.

Several hundred films to watch eh !
I am struggling to think of 20 films I actually think are worthwhile keeping in my collection these days.
I don't think I have enough life left in me to watch hundreds of
films ever again due to the time I have to give to my other interests.
For me to even consider keeping hundreds or thousands of films it
would merely be hoarding them which is another reason why I have had to dispose of most of my large collection.
I just don't have the time anymore.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 05:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis can of course, upload his own personal photographs again should he so wish David.

I am certain this was a genuine oversight on your behalf David while deleting upon their own request, other people's uploads.

I hope Panayotis views it this way also David. [Wink]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 07:30 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew
I don't want to get off topic but it was unforgivable the way I
have been treated. A genuine error and I am booted out.

Never mind I am now giving my collection some real attention now that I have slightly more time and have made up my mind which way I am heading now. No need for me to have hundreds of films most of which I now consider run of the mill dross and fodder.

I will be keeping only those which I consider Classics Of Cinema.
Most will be from the Silent Era and Early Sound periods 20s/30s/40s I think. Maybe a couple of 1950s or 1960s or 1970s but that will be it.
So no films from 1980s upwards >>>>.
That's me sorted after all this time.
So no stuff like Airplane and Die Hard or any of that period will be on my shelf.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 07:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you David, and if you have many of those later type low fade colour films for sale in the future, like the titles you mentioned there,I am certain these will fetch very good prices indeed for you to further enhance any new purchases and supplements you may be thinking of for your new pursuits ahead.

I wish you well David in your clear out and subsequent new ventures. [Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 11:50 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,I don't have hundreds of titles to watch as the collection came in monthly parcels so,I had time to watch the films,more or less. There remain about ten features and a few shorts I haven't watched yet. And of course there are quite a few titles I already have so,there will be a sale after I finish going through them all.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 03:40 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis...I must have misread that you still had that amount to watch yet.
It is a good way to watch them by breaking your viewing down into
blocks whether monthly or weekly.

I don't even have the time for that these days.
Are you a dealer or just a collector who buys job lots of films then sells on the titles you don't want ?

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 01:56 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I stated that clearly,a few posts above,and in the other forum. I am not a dealer and I do not buy joblots.With the two exceptions that I mentioned above,which were offered to me.They did send me their lists.Since they came from the US and Canada I had to pay the postage,of course.For the 122 cartoons,the postage was 103 euros.That comes to 0,84 per reel.Even if I threw the films and kept just the reels and boxes,I wouldn't be at loss either! For the other collection, postage was an average of $ 150 per 25 kg parcel,by USPS,that came to me in less than a week's time. There were about 10 to 12 parcels sent in the course of 14 months. Of course there are many duplicats that I already have. So, I will upgrade mine if they are better copies,and sell the rest,to offset the expence.Now,I;ve said it all!
P.S. ...and I didn't pay any customs charges,either!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2016 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I guess i have to consider myself a collector, as I continue to collect by selling prints that I no longer desire. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC