8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » WFRR Technical discrepancies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WFRR Technical discrepancies
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 07:27 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to purchase a DVD of Who Framed Roger Rabbit to obtain a 2.0 stereo digital English language track from it in order to copy this over to my film print which is currently recorded in German language.

IMDB puts the original theatrical release at 104 minutes long while when seeking out the exact replica DVD release I need, I can somehow only find one's termed "special edition" that for some reason,somehow seem only to run for 99 minutes?

Does anyone actually know what the differences are here and can anyone advise me please of which version I require for the Replica of the Super 8mm Derann feature release?

[Confused] [Confused]

I have seen discrepancies in DVD versions before,where a certain DVD version of Beauty and The Beast had an extra scene cut into it over and above the original theatrical release which was the same version Derann obtained their negative of from Disney.

This, at the time, did cause me a little inconvenience and extra work at the time as I recall when transferring that one over from German to English.

I'd like to ensure I get the exact same version of DVD now as the actual film if at all possible this time to avoid such a dilemma this time.

Thanks for any assistance with this in advance. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 07:50 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I know this may seem obvious, but it isn't just because the DVD runs at 25 fps and not 24 fps is it?

Have you checked the run time on the Blu-ray version at 24 fps?

EDIT:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Who-Framed-Roger-Rabbit-Blu-ray/7849/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 08:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great point there Rob thanks. An obvious one I'd completely overlooked!

Thanks indeed and I will check up on that Rob. [Smile]
I will have to do the maths to see if this is all it is.

I would still be curious to find out if "special edition" purely means just the inclusion of extras on the side menu, or something else maybe?

I really want to make certain I get the exact correct version of this one for when I make a start.

Also, reluctantly, I think I will have to purchase the 25fps DVD rather than the Blu Ray purely because a 2.0 English Stereo track is seldom seen in English on the Blu rays I currently have, I've noticed.

It's no big deal 25fps using the methods I use, just more a case I know I would gain greater satisfaction screening the Blu Ray come the time, than I ever would a DVD if I could stumble across a Blu Ray version that happened to include the desired 2.0 stereo English Audio track I need for this project.

[ August 09, 2016, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 09:17 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this Andrew;

http://www.paradiso-design.net/index_en.html

Put in 99 mins on PAL, gives film as 103.8

Think that's the answer!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 09:21 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Rob, and yes I'd already concluded the same! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Doh..where was my head at? [Big Grin] [Wink]

I am really struggling to find ample detailed specification on the UK version of the 25th Anniversary Blu ray release.

If this also contains the DVD version as a two disc special, as the US version does, I am certain it will serve both purposes here and cover all of my desired requirements for this disc set.
I just cannot find out for certain if it contains a English Stereo 2ch track on the DVD. Arghhh! [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC