8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » New film cleaning device on eBay UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New film cleaning device on eBay UK
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2016 11:59 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies if this has been sighted previously but it's new to me. Thoughts?

eBay Link

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2016 01:15 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it had separate cleaning strips it would be better. I bought a ECCO cleaner ages ago it was really for 35/70mm film, but of course it does 16/8mm it uses felt pads the dock the fluid that slowly drips on them and two bandage like that touch the actual film. Surprising how much dirt comes off.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2016 10:48 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wondered with super 8 is there any risk of the magnetic sound striping rubbing off.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2016 02:22 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paste stripe is quite thick so I think only a negligible amount would come off each time it was cleaned having repeatedly cleaned computer tapes and seen how little is removed. Laminate stripes may suffer more if the cleaning fluid affects adhesion to the film base.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2016 06:59 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the film o clean machine is still around, I noticed on wittner's web site only the cleaning tape and some other adapters are available. I have not seen this machine before, seems simple enough, I wonder what the cleaner is though.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2016 07:12 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I messaged the vendor about how it works, and if there was a risk of scratching, here's his reply:

Hi, l have used the cleaner on my films for some time with no problems. it comes with two extra foam sets and so long as you keep the sponge clean, I can see no problem, This micro foam was developed to be used for washing babies, In fact Kodaks new film cleaner uses spinning sponge disks.
The sponge can be washed to remove the dirt, as the instructions, Jim.

I must say at that price i'm tempted.

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2016 07:50 AM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to discourage anyone, but I have a major concern with any cleaning machine that keeps the pads stationary while dragging film through it.

When you clean film with rags, typically you soak the rag, pull some film through, check the rag for dirt, rotate the rag, repeat, etc.

This keeps the 'cleaning media' stationary while pulling film through it. I don't care how 'wet' those pads stay, eventually if you have dirt building up on those pads you will potentially (if not definitely) scratch film!

One of the major benefits of the Film-O-Clean was that the media was always moving as was the film. That is, the cleaning media never stayed stationary -- you always had fresh, clean media as the film advanced.

Even the seller stated "as long as the pads are clean". Imagine when cleaning with a rag how often you 'rotate' it. What a pain it would be swapping out the pads in this unit with the extra clean set, then having to stop, wash both, let them dry, and continue. Seems like a LOT more work than using/rotating a rag, and more likely to damage film, too.

Just some food for thought....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 12, 2016 08:36 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks interesting but I agree that some reassurance would be needed in relation to David's points. And it would only save time if the solution is added to the sponges far less frequently than you would add it to a cloth. And how do you apply it to the sponges? Other factors incude: what is the solution provided, and would it work equally well with other types? I presume FilmGuard might be out of the question as it might apply too much.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2016 09:12 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the "film o clean" sold out I wonder if the 35mm version would work with S8 and 16mm. The large drive reel turns very easy with little effort needed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted September 16, 2016 06:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the Kelmar 35mm versions are very easy to modify to run 16mm or 8mm.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC