8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Sully

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sully
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 25, 2016 09:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we went to see the new Tom Hanks movie: "Sully". It is really great, different than a lot of them you run into these days: quiet yet still very dramatic.

You would think it's about the forced landing on the Hudson and it is, yet even more. It's just as much about the aftermath, especially the investigation and hearings that followed. It's also about a very private professional man being suddenly made a celebrity when he'd just as soon go home to his family and have his life back.

On a personal note, took the Circle Line tour a few weeks back which included the site of the incident. I'm not sure if flying to New York is the kind of thing many of you would do to prepare for watching a movie, but it definitely enhanced the experience for me!

-So this was an excellent movie: I give it four tray tables fully upright and locked!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 04, 2016 02:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went to see it on Saturday. A really superb film, and very tense even though you know that everything turned out fine and nobody was killed. I found the scenes of the NTSB hearings, using the Airbus 320 simulator, to be very interesting. Hanks is the perfect actor to play Sully, just an amazing performance. And what an amazing guy and true hero Captain Sullenberger is.
Five stars

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 04, 2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the moment in the hearings when he said "Let's get real here." and showed them how their flight simulations were an utter crock.

It's easy not the get into trouble if you know it's coming! ("OK...the deer will run across the road in 30 seconds, try not to hit it this time." or "If you say that to her, you'll be sleeping on the couch for a month.")

My impression of the whole thing is even if we assume they really proved a glide to a runway was possible via the simulations (even though they really didn't): he didn't have access to the simulator at the moment and was stuck to choose the most likely landing to succeed with no second chances if he changed his mind.

-He still did the right thing in that case.

It's better to choose what should work over what might work.

(This is why we want a warm body at the controls!)

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 04, 2016 04:12 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My agent is forever trying to get me work

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2016 04:28 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have watched around seventy or so movies in the cinema so far this year. Sully was one of the best. Tom Hanks was great. Clint Eastwood continues to prove himself a great director.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2016 03:43 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
?? I'm sorry, Joe, but what does your response have to do with the topic thread??

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 05, 2016 04:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-he's just kibitzing,

I can't get too upset over it, I've certainly done it to him a couple of times!

"I'm looking for shorts"
"It's February: it's too cold for shorts!"

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2016 04:51 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve -- I'm not referring to your posts or your "turn-of-phrase" posts. [Smile] However, I've noticed over the years that this other type of extraneous "look-at-me" interjection into threads is used to continually call attention to one's self and/or fish for compliments.

Anyway, bringing it back to the topic of the thread -- Clint is one heckuva' director. For this reason, I highly recommend Sully.

[ October 05, 2016, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: John Hourigan ]

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2016 10:22 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this is not an interjection- I worked as a background actor on Sully for one day. This was on a NY pier. We waited for two hours on a ferry at the pier to go onto the Hudson. The crew decided to let the background take turns going on breaks on the pier. I got off for a break- When I came back, the ferry had left and they were shooting without me. When they get the OK to go, they can't wait. So, I missed out on acting in a scene with Tom Hanks, but I walked past Clint Eastwood twice during lunch.
I haven't seen the movie yet.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC