8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » External power supply

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: External power supply
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 06, 2016 01:56 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago I found a good use for one of the three old "Movieland" Elmo slide projectors.. were six. After 20 years of use they were well and truly worn out "scrap"

Anyway after converting one for use on the Bolex M8 I thought why not do the same with the remaining two slide projectors. The transformer is ideal with its 24v or 22v high or low switching for a 250 watt lamp. To buy a transformer like this would be expensive so folks don't throw away old slide projectors that were rated like this....
 -
you start with one projector as above photo...

Then you remove the bits you don't want with a screwdriver and wire cutters....
 -

Then you land up with something like this...on the assembly line..
 -

I measured the output voltage at either 22volts or 24volts they were "spot on" as selected on the original low and high switches.
 -

[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2016 05:33 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

That's absolutely amazing. I would love to see some followup pictures of you installing the transformer in another projector whenever that takes place.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2016 09:49 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

This is just an excellent idea !!!!

Slides projectors are coming into "Second Hand" Market for few money, with many interesting things inside.

As their transformer seems to be only devoted to Lamp power (Single Coil 22/24V), a "Standard" small electronic power regulation can be added for Motors & Amplifier

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC