8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Don't you just LUV auctions like this ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't you just LUV auctions like this ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 12, 2016 12:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another silly seller ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUCK-ROGERS-vintage-color-super-8-film-5-inch-reel-SOUND/311670633122?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc% 3D38530%26meid%3D64e74ad9fc804ab694937637787a5f80%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D222276103562

Title says "Vintage color"

description says "Film looks fine, but will have red tint" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 12, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's me...but...isn't this just the seller being honest?

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2016 02:29 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's all subjective. The condition is described as "Very Good" and if a film has gone red, I don't know if that's accurate or not. At any rate, the seller is telling you what you're getting and not trying to hide anything that I can tell.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2016 09:41 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buck Rogers? What is the content? Is it animated or live action? What are its origins? There seems to be no description of contents.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2016 10:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hazard a guess, William, that it is the Universal 8 200ft version of Glen A. Larson's production from the late 70's with Gil Gerard.

But don't quote me on that!!

If it is, like most Universal 8 releases it will be faded. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 13, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob's right, it's the 200ft edition. I used to have that and I remember that it had a neat ending card on it, which seemed to indicate that this was potentially an extra long trailer reel, but I'm not totally sure.

I just thought it was funny, unless the seller assumes that "vintage color" automatically means "red". [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 16, 2016 01:19 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also suggest that when it comes to film, "condition" and "colour" are two different things. It's quite possible to have a film in excellent condition with faded colour. As long as the seller isn't obviously trying to deceive, then it would surely be up to the prospective buyer to ask the correct, knowledgeable questions.

BTW, I'm not the seller, nor do I know the seller.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2016 01:58 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, when I first read it I thought the same thing. Then I decided to give the seller the benefit of the doubt and assume that "vintage" was intended to describe the age of the film rather than the quality of the color. [Wink]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2016 03:06 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe at the time of release some reviewers said it was a promo reel, possibly to sell the TV series that followed.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC