8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » eBay running slow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eBay running slow
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2016 02:43 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice that eBay is running slow recently? It even slows this site down while running in another tab. Not to mention the occasional bogus message to upgrade firefox that only appears when I'm on eBay.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2016 03:41 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not noticed it running slow. I have however got the Firefox upgrade pop-up twice. Can't recall if I was in Ebay when that happened.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2016 04:06 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try chrome and see if that is the same.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2016 07:25 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks --

Tried Microsoft Edge and it is running fine there now -- but also running fine in Firefox now, too.

What I was finding was that when looking at the detail of the page of a film, it was very slow to scroll the page, even after the page was fully loaded. Like some kind of script was running that was slowing down the browser.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2016 08:24 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe,
This can sometimes happen if your DNS gets backed up or slow or wont reach a site at all at times...For example, yesterday i couldn't get to ebay or kijiji(local buy and sale) and i realized after trying again again at different times that it was the DNS.
I change the DNS entry on my main router into the house from the standard ones the ISP provides(automatic DNS) to manual DNS and it became wicked fast for me...

There is a couple different programs you can try to find the best ip address pointing to the faster DNS server near you by using a method like this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1890089/find-fastest-dns-server-configure-windows. html

Do try this on a day when you find ebay slow and see the difference... If you are fast again today, it is most likely the DNS server your ISP is using freed up a bit, but they tend to get boggled down alot.
8.8.4.4 is a good one to try, that is Googles DNS and is pretty fast near me. Good luck and i hope this helps a bit.
ps: you can always revert back to 'automatic DNS' if you don't find a faster one, but it is worth trying!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 22, 2016 02:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that some sites in the U.S. were running slow due to hackers.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 03:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And from the description this morning it was an attack on one company's DNS servers, who provided access to Paypal, which Ebay uses a lot.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 22, 2016 06:10 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum has been unaccessible yesterday for several hours. Probably because of the problems on the US Intenet.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 22, 2016 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that they are trying some different things, upgraded and such.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 03:35 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mathew, I'll try that the next time.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC