8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » From The Original Analog Masters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From The Original Analog Masters
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2016 09:31 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the members of this forum will get a kick out of this, due to the similarity to discussions involving the source of film prints, DVDs, etc.

I have an old CD set of Benny Goodman recordings. On the cover, it says, "Digitally Remastered From The Original Analog Masters." Now what would that mean to you?

The enclosed booklet explains further. They are broadcasts recorded over the radio on acetate discs. So were the CDs mastered from those discs? No. Those discs were transferred to tape for the original LP release and destroyed. So were those tapes used? No. Those tape masters deteriorated, but had been copied sometime in the '50s. These copied tapes are what was used for the CD masters.

Talk about false advertising! Amazingly, the CDs sound pretty good considering the source.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC