8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Boxed 'New' Fumeo 9131 on Ebay (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Boxed 'New' Fumeo 9131 on Ebay
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 04:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks interesting - a 'new and boxed' Fumeo 9131 but before bidding please read the decription which states - 'defective ' grey smoke comes from machine when turned on':

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391619301229?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bet Bill is dreading the thought of this turning up in his workshop if one of us on here buys it!

Kevin

|  IP: Logged

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 05:03 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like a very high price for a projector that is sold as faulty!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 05:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin it has been on ebay all the time your internet wasn't working, around a month or so now.

Can't sell it so far. 100w lamp and faults on the board's.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 05:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realise it had been listed before - the 100w lamp is mainly due to its telecine design, just need to upgrade to HID with external power source for more light and (the less simple bit) sort out the smoke plume!

I offered up to 500 Euros but got rejected - surely it is still worth that being the most modern (1990's or newer) design and all metal guides and gates?

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 05:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It is perhaps to someone, but to me, I'd rather have Alessandro' s machine if I had £1200 burning a hole in my pocket right now.

Maybe that's just me?

Send you those files again today Kevin btw...speaking again with you, just reminded me oh and a manual for Ali! 😂😂😂

--------------------

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 07:43 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks a little like Classic Home Cinemas S8 Super 8 prototype which came out in 2002. Apart from the said model did it ever go into production and is the advertised one based on Classics effort. I seem to recall it was selling for around £2000.

--------------------
Dave

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 07:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
This ones better Dave (if working).
Possibilities for Stereo by the looks of things and from memory may record??

No models of the CHC / Fumeo project were ever released for sale. Insufficient interest sadly.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 09:23 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Issue of smoke might just be a defective capacitor.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 09:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit more to it than it Maurice no doubt or else I'm sure it would have been sorted and then probably not even offered up for sale.

The circuit board on this beast is highly complex with many IC's if you glance at the photographs on the advert for this.

With smoke bellowing out from the machine, Lord only knows what damage has resulted to these complex circuits.

I am certain, as Kevin suggests above, this is one project that even Bill would not want placed on his doorstep! 😂😂

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 11:59 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely Fumeo projectors.

" Tools not toys " ... sheer bliss for the professional. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly not...in this particular case David! [Smile]

Not unless you own a pyrotechnics company at least! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

But agreed, in the main on 8, very robust machines apparently with superb durability,excellent gentle film handling qualities and possibly to some, only let down by poor aesthetics, none dc electronic drive for the most part, and not enough high spec machines produced for Super 8mm use with full recording facilities and stereo capabilities.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 12:54 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the reel capacity on this?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 01:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know because it doesn't say except to say a 800ft reel is included as was originally in the accessories.

Looking at it, I'd guess 750m. But if not at least 360m.

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 01:50 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a chance it may be only up to 800ft as I recall the Classic version had extra small triangular extensions added to the feed and take up mechanisms to enable higher capacity spools to be used.

The 100 watt lamp will also likely be diffused by a thick opaque glass block to further reduce hot-spots and lumens for telecine use - however the rest of the mechanism is rock solid metal construction Fumeo all the way - looks like a DC motor too Andrew as I suspect it will be quartz-locked to the three set running speeds shown.

Worth no more than £500 with postage really though as it could be totally fried electronically - could always buy it to 'do a Wittners' and pop the various mechanical component parts into their own individual bags, then charge £200 for the motor, £150 for the reel spindles, £150 for the gate, £200 for the cover, etc. etc. the potential profit margins would be huge.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone else has one Kevin, I agree!

Not seen many if any of these before.
As you say Kevin, I am sure this one will have the desired precision drive at all speeds.
Shame all models didn't do likewise.

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see it is definitely the sort of projector you should meet in the dark. Nice bit of damp on the box so definitely stored somewhere dry NOT. I think a badge name of "Franko" for Frankenstein rather than Fumeo would be more fitting.

100 watt bulb, 800ft reel capacity , a carrying handle that looks tiny and flimsy all in one. What no film trimmer even Cinerex had them. Makes you wonder what the film path would do for your films and we may never know what the sound reproduction was ever going to do. Wonder why it never sold?

Gentlemen I give you the cinematic Spruce Goose that never got off the ground.

Have to admit that the pics are the best I have seen usually this baby was photographed with a layer of Vaseline or in grainy black and white.

Considering it never sold this could be a world one off the seller is actually offloading it cheap someone contact Ripleys Believe it or Not.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 06:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No trimmer needed Mike it is a manual threading machine - not a one off by any means these sold in large numbers to telecine professionals back in the day - certainly not one of your favourite brands of projector by the sounds of it - have you ever owned or used a Fumeo or are you simply passing on hearsay knowledge?

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 06:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen many around though Kevin?
I can't actually recall seeing too many if any before for sale.

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 06:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were never sold openly to the public for use as cine projectors Andrew - they would have been marketed directly to AV companies for professional telecine use - still ideal (if working, we don't know if this one is fixable or a permanent door stop) for upgrading to better illumination and for the safest film path design. The high Buy It Now price was bonkers and lower offers were rejected so I wonder if an off-Ebay deal was agreed as the seller ended the sale early?

Kevin

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2016 07:37 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin

My experience with Fumeo's was at a time when Derann obtained a batch of brand new ones and advertised them for sale. A collector I knew bought one and I was interested in an Elmo ST1200 he was willing to sell to reduce the cost of his Fumeo. I did see the Fumeo in action and it was impressive much more complex and professional than the model being sold on Ebay. I got the whole talk about it being a real projector made for professional etc etc. I think the price was round £2500 mark.

Well to cut a long story 1st Fumeo blew up couldn't be fixed by experienced collectors went to Derann they couldn't fix. I'm not sure if they replaced with 2nd Fumeo or he had actually ordered two. When they worked they were impressive. Anyway 2nd Fumeo was fine for a month or two then went the same way as first. I know he got a refund for it and it was a door stop for over a year before Derann arranged for it to be collected.

Moral of the story Fumeos and big Elmo's are not reliable. Never met a collector yet who had a trouble free one. Stick to Sankyo 800, Bell & Howell DCR DCM & DCT or Elmo ST 180 and they will give you a lifetime of reliable service.

Actually the Fumeo in question looks very like the one Classic produced certainly not worth more than the spare parts.

For some reason it reminds me of Robert Donat and the Magic Box is that deliberate design.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2016 08:01 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there you go.
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones as my Fumeo 9119
has never given me any bother in all the 15 years I have used it.

Watch this the bloody thing will probably blow -up on me now
I have said that....hahahahaha !!!! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2016 08:09 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David maybe your training and insight has given you the advantage of being a professional and managing to avoid any mishaps. Notice it is a Fumeo you have and not Elmo GS1200.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 19, 2016 08:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
He has or has had both Mike.😂😂

All the projectors you mention btw are not without their very own unique drawbacks, just like all have.

The ST 180 is not renowned for being at all kind to film
The Sankyo 800 is noisy and can display more than its fair share of electronic issues and weak links.

The bell & Howell models had soft cam issues.

They all have inherent faults by design unless regularly maintained and parts changed when necessary.

Incidentally, Ian and Arthur @ Perries ran a Fumeo to test all prints through for 20yrs.
He told me they never had an issue with it!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2016 09:48 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew

I know Sanyko's are contrary. If there was any kind of sound fault on a film they would pick it up yet other projectors played fine. All three of my Elmo ST180 were bought new by me in 1986 & 87 so the only use they got was me and with cleaning the film paths after each show I never had the scratching problems of others. I actually thought the Bell & Howells were the easiest on film and with a decent lens and 150 output on the DCT they compared well to the bigger machines and were thankfully much lighter.

Ian was using a Yelco when I visited to test filmscbut he might have been trying to sell it to me.

Each to their own.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2016 09:50 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do indeed still have a GS1200 which I very rarely use
these days.

By coincidence I bought my Fumeo 9119 from Perry's Movies from Ian. It may be that very machine.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC