8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Reminiscing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reminiscing
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 03:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Christmas approaches, I think back seventy years to Christmas 1946 as if it were yesterday. That was when I had my very first projector. It was a few days before my twelfth birthday and my Christmas present (it's also for your birthday!) was a 9.5mm Hunter. I can still smell that large resistance unit as it reduced the 230 volt mains supply.

The cine shop in Bristol would not let me join their hire library explaining that the Hunter had no sprockets and it was their policy to protect their prints from possible damage, although they had been quite happy to sell the projector to my father.

New films to purchase seemed unavailable and the only film we could find to buy was a second-hand copy of M/5024 - "Tenth Olympiad", a record of the 1932 Olympic Games held in Los Angeles. I showed it time and time again!

So, for seventy years I have been collecting films gradually extending from 9.5mm to 8mm & 16mm. For fifty of these years I was a cinema projectionist, starting in 1952 with nitrate, and working for Odeon and Classic I saw many changes through the years until finishing in a five-screen Odeon multiplex.

Amongst the changes were:-
Large projection staff on duty reduced to single manning
Introduction of anamorphic CinemaScope
Carbon arcs replaced by xenon lamps
Introduction of 70mm
Valves in amplifiers replaced by transistors
Change-overs replaced by a tower and one projector
Intermission 78s replaced by LPs, then CDs
Introduction of non-rewind platters
Sound on disc, again! (DTS audio on CD-Rom, sync controlled by time code on film scanned by LED readers)
Clear exciter lamps replaced by red
Dolby Digital readers attached to projectors

Whilst with Classic I became a stand-by projectionist for their south-west cinemas, this was to assist when regular staff needed time off for holidays.

I have often been asked what are my favourite projectors if I could keep only one of each. For Super 8 it has to be the FujicaScope SH30 (mag & opt), for 9.5mm it is the Buckingham RM1, and for 16mm, the Bell & Howell 655QE with its ELC lamp conversion.

Films to keep are 16mm "Mary Poppins", "Sound Of Music" and "West Side Story" (IB Tech/Scope). And, as many as possible of my rare 9.5mm sound features.

I must admit that I have far too many films and projectors, but, as I live alone they are all my companions and provide hours and hours of enjoyment.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 04:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You are doing remarkably well Maurice, you really are.
I had no idea you were now into your 80's.

When I think how my own mother, now of a very similar age, spends her days galavanting here and there still.
One day Chester, the next Southport by rail etc etc, I think it's truly remarkable how the well preserved members of this particular generation have continued to enjoy life to the full well into their senior year's.

You have a peaceful very warm and very merry Christmas Maurice.
You are an absolute credit to your generation and an example to all slightly younger ones, regarding self preservation and inner strength, just as my own Mum is.

I hope you continue to gain huge enjoyment from your films and projectors for many many years to come!

Hopefully, I may just be joining you soon in the SH 30 appreciation society! Lol.
I never realized previously, that they have built in pulse sync facilities. Something not highlighted in the Super 8mm Data specifications.

Lamps are becoming increasingly expensive now though I've noticed given their unusual rating of 21v 150w

[ December 21, 2016, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 05:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Andrew, for your very kind comments. I don't feel my age. Yes, 82 next week.

The A1/266 (DNF) lamps are a bit expensive but that's not really a problem. The price does vary quite a lot between the various suppliers.

Little is heard of the Fujicascope Sound SH30, so, for those who are unfamiliar with it, here is a link to a recent eBay seller's listing which contains some superb photos, mine doesn't have the cardboard box, but does live in a black case. It's very similar to those from Elmo which house the ST1200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252421887320

--------------------
Maurice

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 06:05 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, thank you so much for sharing your recollections, may you have a very happy Christmas and a wonderful birthday.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 06:19 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Stuart, and my best wishes to you at Christmas.

One advantage of the A1/266 lamp is that it has big side pins which have a better capacity to carry the large current than the 15volt 150watt A1/232 (EFR) which has much smaller pins.

See attachment.

https://www.medlamps.co.uk/osram-93631-dnf-a1-266-21v-150w-gx7-9.html

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 07:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep up the terific,informative work Maurice throughout 2017 and you have yourself a very happy birthday in a few days time.

82 years young!!

My Mum is 82 next year also.

[ December 21, 2016, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 11:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You wear you're age well, Maurice. I would not have been able to tell you're age by you're photo!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 05:05 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to you. I was born on January 4th and suffered the same fate as you did regarding the combined Christmas/Birthday gifts.

I had close to 100 16mm projectors at one time. They were of many different brands and models. None of them had a red exciter lamp. What models had them and approximately when did they start using them?

[ December 21, 2016, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 22, 2016 02:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry
I was referring to all the changes through the years in my cinemas, of course, the change to red exciter lamps referred to the 35mm projectors. In my particular case the projectors were Italian made Cinemeccanica Victoria 5.
Here is a link to show similar projectors being removed from a projection room to make room for new digital equipment.
http://cinelog.org/cinelog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Projectors.jpg

--------------------
Maurice

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2016 03:48 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice although I am some 20 years your junior I can
relate to the changes you have seen as a cinema projectionist.
It appears we have a lot in common. I too worked for THE ODEON
and the ABCs.

When I started my 3 and a half years apprenticeship in THE CAPITOL cinema Aberdeen we were still using Westar projectors
with carbon arcs and 4 Track Stereo Mag sound and of course reel change overs.
We used the Westrex valve amps sound system.
Other sites were using RCA sound systems and Super Simplex
machines , Kalee , and Philips DP 70s /Cinemecannicas.

I remember the introduction of the " tranny " amps and the non
- rewind platters and Xenon lamps.

I worked in the industry right up till the coming of Digital
Projection and the demise of the film era and demise of guys
like us.

In fact I was the one here in Aberdeen who showed the first Digital shows.

During the crossover period we were running both Digital and
Film shows in different screens in the Multiplex.

One sad thing over the years though was the demise of Screen Tabs
and Masking and that big one ... PRESENTATION.

Like you I got into the business because of my hobby ... Film
Collecting.

Like you my old "Chief" was in his 80s but he passed away
a couple of weeks ago.

Still on a positive note I have very happy memories of him.

From one fellow PROJECTIONIST to another...

On a more upbeat note .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY and a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

May you have many many more birthdays and health too.

Davy

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2016 11:26 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, thanks for that clarification. Obviously, I know nothing about 35mm projection.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC