8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » George Michael Has Died

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: George Michael Has Died
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 26, 2016 03:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who grew up or partied during the 1980's among UK Pop Culture of the day, you simply cannot help but feel affected today by the very sad and even more shocking news today.

Anyone who has never had an opportunity to have sampled the serious side of George's back catalogue, look no further than "A Different Corner" or albums like "Listen Without Prejudice" or "Ladies & Gentlemen".

George was a truly fabulous songwriter and artist/ vocalist alike.

Yes he lived like many of us in our younger years, very much in the fast lane and yes, he lived the kind of lifestyle that we would previously see associated with people like Freddie Mercury, another genius of stage and song.

Still , no one would have ever predicted such a talent would only live for 53 short years.

All too many this year, for anyone's comfort zone, both of fame and fortune, but also closer to home for many equally.
2017 cannot arrive quick enough for many of us.

R.I.P. Georgios Kyriacos. 1963 -2016.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-xzyD00_fI

[ December 26, 2016, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 26, 2016 01:57 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpBUCjH950

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goroyZbVdlo

[ December 26, 2016, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2016 05:48 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in college in the mid 80's when both George Michael and Prince attained massive popularity. I went from being this extremely shy and awkward high school kid to... well, someone quite a bit less shy and awkward.

Their music was part of the backdrop for that period of my life. There were many exquisite dances to "Careless Whisper". I have some very fond memories, thanks to George.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 26, 2016 06:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tom, for your valued memoirs there!

You are the first non UK resident to respond to this news all day on two global forums.

You both prove, there are people out there on these places that both have a pulse, and have had a life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPWHkK-_a_A

If you are 50 or just a little less, it is impossible to not have been affected by the sheer loss felt this year from within OUR pop & screen cultures.

From Colonel Abrams,Pete Burns, to Bowie and Prince and now unbelievably sadly,...George.

2017.. bring it on, it simply cannot be any worse than 2016!!

[ December 27, 2016, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 26, 2016 09:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKqMNDoR4o

The back catalogue is literally endless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKqMNDoR4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDxzQJaA228

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2016 01:27 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if George hung on to have one "Last Christmas", one of the best known of Wham's songs, and to die on Christmas Day makes things very poignant. I loved his music, with or without Andrew Ridgley and he certainly will be missed, what a horrible year for music legends dying.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2016 02:37 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe people do have a life and don't spend their time on the Internet Andrew, it is Christmas after all and a busy time for most visiting family and friends.

I'm not a fan of George Michael but it's sad he's passed away, I'm sure many on this and other forums are saddened by his death, the list of big name celebrities this year that have died has been unbelievable, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2016 03:43 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, I had a whole day away from the internet for Christmas Day.

Then to add to the year's sadness George died and actress Liz Smith died on Boxing Day (though with her being 95 that was a little less of a shock)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 27, 2016 06:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes fair point Gentlemen.

It was a strange one for me this year, hearing the news break in the middle of a night shift, but of course, as Mark says, most people had their own agendas these past couple of days, outside of the WWW of course.

This is exactly how it should be, and yes, with the news also of Liz Smith on the same day, it really has been the worse year on record for the loss of our celebrities. [Frown]

Roll on 2017

In the words of Dame Helen Mirren earlier today
"I think we can all agree that 2016 has just been one big pile of ****".

[ July 04, 2018, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 28, 2016 09:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And may I just add, just got a whole lot worse!

Sing it George!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=john+%26+elvis+george+michael+the+record&view=detail&mid=B84C8BE44E794C0FA04EB84C8BE44E794C0FA04E&FORM=VIRE

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2016 04:19 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dame Helen Mirren is wrong.

Every year is one big pile of **** !
2016 is no exception to that fact. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

[ July 04, 2018, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 29, 2016 12:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you have to keep in mind that the "Hollywood elite" are quite annoyed that a certain lady was not elected president, that stings.

I was never a big fan of this artist (though a late teen as of the early 80's) but I think that it just wasn't my style of music. He certainly has his following.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 29, 2016 01:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
He does indeed Osi and as they say, there is no accounting for taste with these things.

My measure of any great vocalist is that they simply sound every bit as good "live", as they ever do in the recording studio.
In fact, moreover, the studios can do little to improve on what they already have to offer.
George was one such artist where this rule most definitely applied.
Personally, I always felt George had the voice of an angel, or at least the male equivalent of one anyhow.

One man's pill....once again here.

Believe it or not, I've heard knowledgeable music people try and convince me Lou Reed was a great vocalist. Go figure?? [Big Grin] [Wink]

[ December 29, 2016, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC