8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is it me or? I cant be the only one (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is it me or? I cant be the only one
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 30, 2016 06:43 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me or are there more idiots listing on e-bay who know nothing about this hobby?
There have always been the odd funnies where the listing price is simply laughable, but i took a look recently and noticed the sellers pollpott2020 & toolstoystins & vladimpailer68 all seem to taking the p**s with there listings. I'm not sure if they are forum members or not but if they are i think they should be ashamed of the prices there listing 400fts at and even 200ft silents starting in excess of £35. Who the hell are these morons? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 07:06 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

I would say your one word assessment of "moron" sums them up. They are likely to be someone who has acquired a collection of super 8 and think they have found a pot of gold. Think Del Boy with a lobotomy. This is widespread throughout ebay at present because they keep offering 100 free listings every day to anyone who sells. You only pay fees when you pay. If these clowns were paying 10% of their buy it now prices when they list they would soon reduce prices or disappear back into the swamp.

Mike

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 30, 2016 07:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike, I did wonder why ebay had turned out more than it's typical fair share pile of crap this past year.

The free listing point you make, does of course answer this conundrum. I wouldn't know, i hardly ever use ebay to sell anything. [Wink]

As things stand these days, I won't be buying much from there either.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 09:27 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,
You have matched my sentiments exactly. I recently put out a 'frustrated' post saying the same about shipping cost...but really there are too aspects..those who grab money from shipping and those who elevate their prices...many times a listing has both. For example, i would LOVE to buy some more Little Rascals for our collection...but when i see an episode(not rare) being listed for 40+ Canadian and then another 50$ to ship I just pass on through. This is why i feel that some seller truly are not looking to sell, either that or they are in so much Debt that they are trying to get us to pay for it!
Not me! I hope they are not forum members, or like you say, shameful!
I have a pocket full of money I cannot spend under their terms!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 09:47 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are 400ft titles being listed for £100!!!
no idea what planet they are on.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 10:12 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I saw Frankenstein at £100. You could have bought it for around £15.00 upto £30.00 for a Mint copy. Now realistically the most should be £30.00 to £50.00. £100 for a untested copy is way over the top but you do have free shipping.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 30, 2016 10:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does the "completed auctions" side of this look?

Are they finding buyers at these prices?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 10:40 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He selling a lot of other stuff getting about 60 sales a month and his feedback is private so it is hard to tell what he is shifting. I remember seeing the Frankenstein digest a couple of months ago so it has been around for awhile. Everything from 35mm trailers to home movies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-8mm-Fil m-THE-BRIDE-OF-FRANKENSTEIN-B-W-SOUND-400FT-/222359428847?hash=item33c5a79eef:g:KpEAAOSw14xWKIos

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 11:21 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom / Mike / Steve

I have been observing at least two of these sellers for a little while. One of them, at least,for over a year. I notice that the repeat listings he does have gone on...and on...and on...and on... at the same ridiculous price. Hasn't it dawned on that person that he ain't going to shift any of them at that price.... but still they are relisted without a price reduction. When will some people learn?

I agree with all the sentiments expressed by everybody on this thread so far. The only comment I must make is regarding the 100 free listings per day that is currently in operation on Ebay UK.
Mike, unfortunately, this is a double edged sword. I agree that this situation does encourage the "clowns" to enter the circus ring and are allowed to run riot with their unrealistic prices, but for someone like myself, who is a regular seller of all sorts on ebay, not only films etc (at reasonable prices,I might add, when I do list any) this policy is a godsend. I currently have over 300 realistically priced items listed which would be impossible if I was charged 10% up front for them all.... basically because even these non film items may have to be re-listed several times before they are sold.

There is no ideal solution. The likes of you and I all know what price to pay for a particular film... we are collectors... we KNOW! We have just got to grin and bear it,I'm afraid, until these "morons" finally DO get the message and do something about it.... or Mr.Muppet comes along, not knowing the value of items, and does us all a favour,except himself, and actually parts with his hard earned cash.Job done.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 12:12 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If prints at these prices are selling, then it's either to complete novices who know nothing about this forum or complete idiots with plenty of money and no sense. The sellers are nothing but money grabbers who usually 'have no projector so can't try it'or hide behind 'no returns'. It cheapens the hobby and puts an artificial value on titles. Reminds me of Dyson cleaners. Ten or less years ago no-one in their right mind would have paid £300 or anywhere near it for a cleaner. £50 seemed expensive. Now everyone's jumped on the bandwagon and prices all round have shot up. Hopefully, things will settle down and we'll see a return to more justifiable prices.

--------------------
Dave

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin I know what you mean about eBay. Items that would have sold within days can be on their 2nd or 3rd time round at 30 days before they sell. Global shipping has really killed it for buying from US. They even charge for customs clearance and you can still get hit with no negotiation uk post office /hmrc. You can see an item with buy it now of £10 with shipping of maybe £48 00. Even when looking to buy on eBay the choice, variety and quality of items has dwindled dramatically.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 30, 2016 01:29 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the sanity check chaps, i thought i was going barmy.

It is ridiculous. I have to say the following on a brighter note, I have bought some good items on ebay, (had one or two duff ones but i never pay over the odds), but also as an occasional seller i have always said, at least list it at a reasonable start price, then, if it does start taking off, it is up to the buyer as to what he/she wishes to pay. If someone wants to pay over the odds then fair cop but these listings are simply nuts.
As some have said already, they are so moronic they simply keep re-listing and not getting the hint that they are way over priced. I almost guarantee one or more of them look on here and watch us [Mad]
If you are one of them and reading this please join in and explain so we understand what your thinking. I could do with a laugh. [Big Grin]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 01:43 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should try selling these dealers a print of say for example

'Pluto's Christmas Tree' Super 8mm 50 foot Colour / Silent
for £20.00 in order to see their response.

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2016 01:53 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some crazy folk out there ,theres 150ft colour silent remi films for sale at £17.50 .i have over 100 still sealed so maybe im sitting on £2000 .no chance they will never sell for that so ive listed 4 for £9.99 buy now the mad thing is watch mine not sell but the £17.50 does ,ive seen many auctions go for more than stuff which is on cheaper at the same time why anyone would do that is beyond me ,i sell on ebay regular but never at stupid prices always reasonable start if people go mad then they made the price not me ,oh and i always add screen shots because i have GOT A PROJECTOR .

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 07:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think this is his biggest overprice http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-8mm-Film-UN-CHIEN-ANDALOU-SALVADOR-DALI-LUIS-BUNUEL-B-W-SILENT-/222359428846?hash=item33c5a79eee:g:JDUAAOSwqu9VJj3C. £300 for a less than 400ft silent B&W film, I might think of selling my copy if I could get that, but his has been ther for as long as I can remember his listings so..........

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 07:42 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Brian but if you have some idiot out there with more money than sense he might actually sell it at that price.

Alternatively you can get the blu ray of both for £10 from Amazon without the scratches.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LAge-dor-Chien-Andalou-Blu-ray/dp/B004LNSFMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1483190966&sr=1-1&keywords=UN+CHIEN+ANDALOU

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 31, 2016 09:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Or just buy the real deal, without scratches!

I agree with earlier comments though, there has been very little quality film products offered on Super 8mm on Ebay Uk these past six months.

E bay postage charges from the U.S. in particular, now prohibit all but the very wealthiest of film collectors from even bothering to look anymore.
I stopped looking regularly some 18 months ago now.

I am pleased however, that I got what I got, when I got them, before these money grabbing rip off changes.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 31, 2016 09:25 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This blokes been re listing un chien andalou time and time again, prices vary from £75 to its current 300. Yet another moron who doesn't seem to get it. I think its been on and off ebay by the same seller for around two years. [Big Grin]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 31, 2016 09:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Whilever it continues to be free to list, nothing will ever change. It's simply one click of a button to re advertise without changing anything, including the price of the unsold goods!

The free listing facilities don't do anything to entice me personally to begin selling with them again, nothing at all.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 31, 2016 11:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, you have the occasionally, highly overpriced 400ft or cartoon, but as a general rule, the "morons' don't know what they have, and most of letting films that are worth 50, 100 or more, for mere dollars, so I'm a happy man in general! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 12:25 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, The prices asked for 30 and 60ft 9.5mm silents with running titles , particularly the short extracts are equally laughable. Not to mention incomplete or broken ACE and Bingoscope projectors!!! [Roll Eyes] Ken Finch.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 02:18 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, yes that is the other side of the coin. I bought a film camera (Canon Range Finder) a couple of months ago for $10 that I could easily sell on Ebay for over $100. Now it could have turned out that the camera wasn't completely functional so I was taking a risk. However for $10, it was one I was willing to take. What is a bit problematic for somebody who's not into cameras as a hobby or a profession, is that another camera that may look very similar might only be worth $15 in good working condition. In fact I just sold another camera for $25 that by most practical measures is much better than that Range Finder, but they simply aren't in as high of demand. Who knows, in 5 years, no one may want Range Finders anymore either. My point is that pricing things correctly for vintage stuff takes a bit of insider's knowledge.

I'd guess some of the inflated prices are due to the fact that some old films sell for a great deal of money but sellers don't understand that their particular films just aren't worth as much.

I'm willing to blame eBay too for some of its policies. I just listed an item on eBay for the first time in probably a couple of years. They've gone to great lengths to make things easier than ever but I believe this can result in higher prices. I was curious about shipping to Canada in particular since Matthew's post from awhile back.

First thing I noticed that when allowing eBay to calculate shipping costs for me was that it selected a package size that was about double the weight of the packaging I actually used, - and I packed it well. The second thing I noticed that while eBay does encourage people to allow International buyers it attempts to make that easy through it's "Global Shipping Program".

By checking that option, the seller calculates nothing as far as international shipping goes. The seller actually ships the item to a place in Kentucky and eBay handles the rest. A little ironic since shipping to Kentucky is probably as far or farther for me than shipping to many Canadian locations.

I tried to lookup my item on eBay.ca and put in a Canadian postal code but it hasn't shown up yet. I'm curious to what the shipping costs will turn out to be.

[ December 31, 2016, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 31, 2016 03:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what often happens is that people learn that a Super-8 feature can go for several hundred, but that single reel of "Gone With The Wind" they have is really only a digest.

(-a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!)

-I mean, why shouldn't it be the whole film? It's bigger than a DVD and about ten times as thick! For all they know it probably has bonus selections once you put it in the player and access the main menu!

Then again you have the folks that like to think every Mickey Mouse cartoon they stumble upon was once the personal property of Mr. Walt himself...

I remember a discussion well off-Forum of whether a Super-8 sound print of "Steamboat Willie" was a priceless artifact from the ancient past. I had to tell the poor guy Derann was still printing as many as people would buy, and his film wasn't "rare", just "used".

Sometimes we forget we live in our own little world and our customs are strange to outsiders!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 04:07 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sometimes we forget we live in our own little world and our customs are strange to outsiders! "

[Smile] Yes Steve, I think that's true.

Some of the high prices undoubtedly arise from lack of knowledge. At the same time, I'm sure there are those sellers who are more deliberate about their choices and don't mind if a buyer pays way more that what a print is worth. And perhaps even those that over-price out of ignorance aren't entirely innocent. I'm guessing most of them didn't pay anywhere near what they're asking, if they paid anything at all.

Even for me, someone who likes to think of themselves as ethical, if I'm selling something on eBay, it's because I hope I can get a better price than what I could if I were to sell locally. There's a profit motive. For example, the lens I've got listed on eBay now was part of a lot of 3 I got from craigslist for $20. I bought them knowing that they were worth more than what I was paying.

The seller may have been well aware of that fact and just wanted to sell quickly. But I wasn't going to actually volunteer that information to him. So, isn't there a certain level of dishonesty in that?

One of the lens has a stuck aperture so I'm sure in his mind that required a significant price reduction. But still, the other two were fine and even the busted one was probably worth more than $20 to the right person. I'm hoping I can fix it and sell it for $75 to $100.

Sometimes I look at craigslist listings and think: "Geez, if you spent 10 minutes cleaning that up or bothered to take a decent picture, you could ask for a lot more".

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 04:52 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a universe far away and The Jedi Council. They think you calculate the value of 8mm by the size about $1.00 a foot Bargain or what !!!

They have also got the 1978 prices of Star Wars films when issued by Portland Film for each version 200 400 black and white Colour silent and sound and decided in their own reality that the real price in 2016 should now be waited for it possibly 1000% more!!!! Deranged or what. If this is what is being talked in the Star Wars universe no doubt it is dripping into the bigger public perception of what super 8 is worth hence the eBay madness.

Another price list from 2005 shows what they think certain films are worth. No idea of what gauges they are talking about. There is even some copy and paste quotes from Osi Osgood and Adrian Winchester are quoted and referenced by them.

--------------------------------------------

I will have a look through the boards but there was a thread made about film reels quite a while ago

edit: Just had a look it depends what it is cause the one posted on the boards was a film reel one of its kind and the person had someone offer them $2500 but then reading my price guide I have got the following

20th century fox
theatrical trailers
ESB.........$350.00
ROTJ...... 350.00
star wars......625.00

jef films
theatrical trailers
esb...... 675.00
rotj....575.00
star wars.....1,300.00

ken films
star wars selected scenes 8mm
b/w silent 42.5 metres......17.00
colour silent 42.5m..... 35.00
colour sound.... 42.5m..... 80.00
colour sound 91m..... 38.00
colour sound plastic case (han/chewbacca)....... 45.00
colour sound plastic case (movie art)...... 25.00

the empire strikes back selected scenes 8mm
colour 17 mins part 1 $65.00
colour 17 mins part 2 $65.00

As you said it was 8mm so really I suppose it will have some referance on there to tell you how long the reel is in metres and if it is colour or has sound so there is a rough estimate to how much to pay. Make sure you pay a bargain price for it and let us know how you got on [Big Grin]
skywalker_1982, Sep 4, 2005 at 11:05 AM #4

The best versions of Star Wars you can buy on eBay
comments
by Ross Miller and Chris Plante Dec 11, 2015, 11:07am EST

tweet

Linkedin

In just over a week, your local place of cinematic worship will be filled with screen after screen preaching the good word of the Force Awakening. That leaves you plenty of time to seek out the best versions of old Star Wars movies to catch up. We went to the depths of eBay to weigh our options.

Let us be clear, these are the legal options, so certain — and arguably superior — choices aren't included.

For those who want the most original way to watch the first Star Wars
If you're looking to experience the true Star Wars in its original, virtually unaltered form, the best option is to find an old film reel. The original 35mm reels are extremely rare, but you can find a handful of high-quality 16mm versions if you're willing to pay nearly $5,000. That's less than one dollar per foot of film reel (by about $50), which is a small price to pay to see the opening crawl say "Star Wars" instead of "Episode IV: A New Hope."
If you're feeling thrifty, you can probably find a more beat-up reel for closer to $1,000, but I'm sorry, why are you settling?
16mm original uncut Star Wars: $4,750
For those who want the most original way to watch the "first" Star Wars
We're not sure why you'd want to watch a 35mm version of Episode I: The Phantom Menace, for a variety of reasons. Maybe it was the first time you visited the local theater. Maybe you met your true love in the popcorn line on premiere weekend, and now that you've found success as a finance person / legal person / doctor person, you want a room dedicated to that moment. I don't know. Someone recently bought a 35mm print for almost $3,000, and now I just need to rationalize that fact somehow.

Of course, a true completionist will want to find one of the original digital projectors and video files that showed the film; The Phantom Menace was the first full-length film to be screened to the public in digital. Episode I opened in digital on four screens, so best of luck finding one of the "original" digital files or projectors.
35mm Star Wars Episode I: $2,795

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC