8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Kodak Bringing Back Ektachrome (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Kodak Bringing Back Ektachrome
Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 08:30 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news that they will be re-releasing this film.

Here is some more info as to apparently why the camera didn't come out in the spring as expected:

"So what was the hold-up? Kodak promised me it wasn’t about manufacturing delays, but that as they heard feedback from potential users,they wanted to add in more features . One of those features is a new scroll wheel that lets you easily choose what speed you want to record you film in the camera and a trigger button on the top for users who want to record while moving quickly. The LCD screen is larger too."
http://gizmodo.com/kodak-swears-its-not-giving-up-on-that-digital-super-8-1790907907

The way i read this is that, if WE are the potential users, they it is us that caused the delay- he hee....
It also looks like they are only making 2000 of the $2000 cameras to start..... Still TOO much money KODAK if you get to reading this!!!!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 09, 2017 12:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great thing on another whole level. I see, on ebay, that some folks are selling the last batches produced of Ektachrome for 75 dollars! (gasp), so it should become, at least, alittle more affordable, eh?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 09, 2017 04:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Brian for that intriguing audio link. Clearly the Kodak team are really fired up about this new camera, and the re-introduction of Ektachrome Super 8 film. This is a really big deal for them - and for us. I cannot wait to start shooting S8 reversal color film again, and I wish Kodak every success in this exciting project.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2017 09:26 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is too late and expensive for me now at my age. I very much doubt if it will attract much interest from home movie makers as we are very much now in decline and the younger generations are hooked onto mobile phone and the social media. As I understand it, The film is returned as a negative, together with a DVD or whatever digital format replaces it, requiring editing on a computer and screening on a TV or video projector. Why bother! Amateur movie making has become very frustrating thanks too the constant changes of formats and planned obsolescence. ken Finch.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 10, 2017 10:04 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Ken, but when Kodak bring back reversal Ektachrome we can all still use our existing S8 cameras, and screening the films on S8 projectors, just like the old days.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2017 12:44 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Paul; when the new Kodak camera was first announced it seemed that the trend would be to emulate professional work flow by originating on a film negative and then editing digitally.

Not that I'm against this but it will be expensive and in fairness to Ken, there are indeed a lot of HD options out there which can be manipulated to make it look pretty much any way you want with relatively cheap software.

But to reiterate Paul, this announcement of the return of reversal Ektachrome film stock is the first new consideration of a shoot and PROJECT stock.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2017 04:05 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear on another forum that during a Kodak podcast at CES this week they are also mooting bringing back Kodachrome. Now that would be something special.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC