8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Last UK ABC cinema closes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Last UK ABC cinema closes
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 06, 2017 08:27 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sorry to hear the news yesterday that the UK's last ABC-branded cinema in Bournemouth had closed, although I was surprised that one still existed. This story indicates why it was still called an ABC despite being owned by Odeon. Any nearby collectors owning Derann ABC dayset reels would have felt the logo was still in use!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-38500616

[ January 06, 2017, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Don Sykes
Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 09:13 AM      Profile for Don Sykes   Email Don Sykes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This must have been called the WESTOVER when part of the ABC chain. I remember articles about it appearing in the staff magazine ABC News in the fifties and sixties. Shame it has gone. I Worked for ABC for more than twenty years finally at the ABC Sheffield. This theatre boasted the UK's largest screen at 65' X 30'. 70mm looked superb. Happy days.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember seeing Earthquake (1974) in 'Sensurround' there and in the 1980s my first taster of 70mm with Brainstorm (1982), Indy II and III, and Star trek II shown, amongst others. The sad story does not end there as the Odeon, a few doors down, though it was called the Gaumont when I lived there, is also going to close within a few months. Again this was a large cinema and when the ABC was refurbished and fitted out with 70mm, the Gaumont also had a refurbishment and boasted a 'Cinerama' screen around the same period (late 1969/70). Ice Station Zebra ran (35mm) on its opening night. Both cinemas are to be replaced with a new, single Odeon multiplex in a different part of town. I expect in 20 years time the screens will be converted in to shopping units!

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

I echo your memories of the ABC in Bmth. I too got a taste for 70mm here and at the Odeon at Lansdowne (Chitty) and Gaumont. I too saw Earthquake at the ABC and took my Mum along, she complained it was too loud, I loved it!

I also saw The Exorcist here with a buddy at the tender underage of 15 ( we were turned away from Boscome for being underage and were very surprised to be let into the ABC Bmth) we were made up but the cinema was packed and we had to sit 3rows from the front! A lady in front of us had a towel on here lap in case she was ill! St John ambulance were in attendance at every screening and the atmosphere was electric. We sh*t ourselves but sat it out to the end but for at least 3mths after I couldn't walk anywhere dark without being terrified of my own shadow. That'll teach me! A great publicity stunt by the ABC, it really hyped up the experience,

Golden days,
Rick

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 03:46 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky-
Thats funny about the St john Ambulance. I have heard about that but thought it was just a London/ west end thing and did not realise that the stunt took place in Bournemouth. I am younger than you and saw Earthquake when I was 7 but still remember the excitement I felt at the 'serious' sensurrond warning notice at the start of the film. My younger sister started crying because my parents had teased us about the seats shaking during the presentation. They were magic cinemas, from my 1970s viewpoint, but now the magic has long gone from cinema visits.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 05:02 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last official ABC has now closed..... just as the first "unofficial" one opens in Stoke! Please refer to the "That Really Impressed Me" post!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2017 02:21 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something funny here but please correct me if I am wrong.

This is the last of the "second wave " ABC branded cinemas to
close.

If memory serves me right did the "first wave" of "original" ABC cinemas not demise in the late 1970s/1980s with the EMI takeover and the then later CANNON CINEMAS take over later to be sold to PATHE/MGM CINEMAS ?

Then return as ABCs with new owners using the brand.
Some later to become part of the VIRGIN chain.

Then another takeover by the ODEON chain.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 03:03 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes David, it is a 'second wave' branding. It was branded at various times as a Cannon/ Virgin/ MGM cinema during the 1980s/90s (approx). It got back its ABC brand when the cinema was brought by its Odeon rival.
The competing Odeon itself is only another minutes walk away on the same street and to avoid the confusion of having two Odeon cinemas on the same street the ABC brand came back for the cinema in question. Bournemouth now has three Odeon owned cinemas, one just closed, one new one being fitted out and one in still in operation for a short period until closure.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 04:53 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin thanks for your reply.
It seems my memory was right after all.

So really there is nothing to grieve about at its closure then as
it was a rebranding job as an ABC after all.
[Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC