8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Outdoor movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdoor movies
Ronald Green
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 06:57 PM      Profile for Ronald Green   Author's Homepage   Email Ronald Green       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wanted to show outdoor movies for my neighbors in my backyard. Please tell me the rule of thumb on protecting the projector. Does it need to be under a overhang or can it be out in the open?

Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 10:37 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do it mostly with a digital projector and don't protect the projector. I live near Seattle and despite our reputation for rain, we do have quite dry summers. I guess it depends on the weather. I know Florida gets a lot of afternoon/evening thunderstorms so you should take that into consideration. Right now it's 34 degrees F with a chance of snow so I don't think I could get many neighbors over for an outdoor movie, I'm mostly limited to July and August. It's a lot of fun, my neighbors look forward to it every summer.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 11, 2017 03:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a nice patio, and I'm a fan of drive in theaters, so we thought about giving this a try.

-Just my kid and me, see! We have all sorts of adventures on bikes, in canoes and out on the trail: when it comes to the Great Outdoors, we are the go-to guys...or so I thought!

One summery Saturday night, just for an experiment: one table, one ST-1200, one outdoors oriented film, one crappy tripod screen (...seemed about right).

The first thing we learned is it's best to start around dusk. Not coincidentally this is the mode of operation also favored by mosquitoes.

Lesson Learned #1: bring some personal insect repellent.

(Avon Skin So Soft is our own favorite.)

We also learned why people like houses so much: It turns out the weather is not always our friend (-who'da thought?!) . There we are maybe 4 minutes into Journey into Spring when I started to notice little dark circles appearing on the patio brick.

-makes sense: the sun sets, the air cools, it drops below the dew point and suddenly you have...RAIN!!!

Just ponder the physics of my situation: I am there with a machine that has a white hot GLASS light bulb inside, and the tiniest droplet of that cool rainwater will send blazing hot shards of it moving in a hurry! Just dumping the beam won't help enough: the bulb will stay hot several minutes!

We talk about various good things about these machines: quality of sound, ease of focus, kindness to film, etc. If another quality is how comfortably it can be stuffed under your shirt to run inside the house, the Elmo ST-1200HD fails miserably!

So yes:

Lesson Learned #2: Working under an overhang is just good planning. I'm lucky I didn't wind up with a spindle scar!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2017 06:09 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector doesn't HAVE to be under an overhang, but Steve is definately right about the rain! I typically set up my large screen near a barn during the day (luckily, under an overhang, as it is a pretty large screen). I then set up the speakers near the barn, and the projector stands. I wait until I'm going to give it a go to bring the projectors themselves out. Once the films are done for the night, I wait about half an hour,then carefully move the projectors into a small garden shed 10 feet away for the night. I've only had rain once, and got to do the quick equipment shuffle under cover. I have toyed with idea this summer of putting some kind of camping canopy over the projectors as an insurance policy...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2017 10:09 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our climate is dry, so as long as there's no significant wind, projectors can be outside with few issues. I've even had them outdoors shining through a window to an indoors screen when the exterior temperature was 45 degrees.

My favorite is the late summer season because many insects are "burned off" and the sunset is a little earlier. And the arrangement: the screen is hung from the shed (stable, tied-down, and less likely to be affected by a breeze), and the projectors are indoors shining out through a window, audience on the patio. They can see the retro technology with only a little projector noise, which I think is just right, and at the end of the show only the screen needs to be brought in.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC