8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Greatest Show On Earth To Close

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greatest Show On Earth To Close
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 15, 2017 09:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 146 years "The Greatest Show On Earth" is to close. The circus run by Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey will shut in May.
Its famous elephants were retired in May of last year.
This takes me back to my first year as a cinema projectionist when in 1952 we screened the famous Paramount film of the same name made by Cecil B. DeMille.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38627073

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 01:58 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without elephants, the circus is not the same. Two years ago my wife and I got to attend the Carson and Barnes circus. They were down to a couple of elephants from the previous time we'd seen them when they had around twelve. Sadly, the days of traveling circuses are just about over.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 02:20 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have mixed feelings about it. You'd be hard pressed to find any kind of show that has that sort of history. At the same time, the animals featured in the show had a pretty horrible existence and I have no interest in seeing another circus like that.

Cirque Du Soleil is a more modern traveling show. One problem with all of them is that the ticket price has put them out of reach for many people.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 17, 2017 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite sad. The lack of elephants largely killed them off, and that's from the person who actually owned the circus these days.

... but he had a second point in that in large part, young people are more interested in what's popping up on thier danged phones, than a live performace in front of them. A lot of adults are like that, I've noticed it in my own home. My family will be only half watching something and only look up when something explodes or a loud bit of audio happens, and they completely miss the story of something, and then, after the film is done, they say "I didn't get it". Well, duh, you maybe watched five minutes of a two hour film!

Hence, audiences watching 5 minutes of a two hour circus performance.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 17, 2017 12:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last show ever is actually local for us: Nassau Coliseum.

-where we have seen Billy Joel, the New York Islanders and Ringling Brothers a couple of times!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 01:10 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have outgrown circuses to be honest. Their treatment of animals was disgusting and disgraceful. Clowns I never found funny. My Dad used to pay attention to female trapeze artists when they appeared on television in Billy Smartts Chistmas Circus Specials but that a different story.

Can't stand Pantomines either at least US are spared them. A special UK torture.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 17, 2017 01:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Modern life is enough of a Circus all by itself!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 01:26 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are enough clowns about outside the circus Steve.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 17, 2017 07:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local news says that the final show has sold out and tickets are already being scalped in the thousands!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC