8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » La La Land

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: La La Land
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 22, 2017 02:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went to see La La Land last night at the new Epic Cinema. Very enjoyable movie, with lots of music and dance. Reminiscent of the great Hollywood musicals of the past, but comparing it to those films makes you realize just how amazing those golden age musicals really were, and what incredible talent made them possible.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2017 07:04 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul, the old Hollywood musicals are truly timeless. Still great to see something fresh. I would be happy if they just made one more new musical each year.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2017 10:16 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Those old Hollywood musicals were miracles of the studio factories. So much talent in front of and behind the cameras combined to create truly breathtaking films.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 24, 2017 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be curious to see "la La land", as, after about the mid to late 60's, it seems that movie producers were making musicals more for "social commentary' than for actual entertainment, and they (the films) suffered for it. That doesn't mean that there is no room for social comment, of course, but musicals were best when they were just happy, joyful, bubbly fun!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2017 02:00 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I start screening it at my cinema this Thursday, nice to hear you enjoyed it Paul, I am looking forward to watching it myself! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2017 10:42 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over hyped again!
Don't expect too much when it comes to the singing and dancing talents and it's def a film in two halves, the first being Hollywoodesque, the second being more about the Jazz music...although it wraps up nicely at the end.
Overhyping really is detrimental to ones enjoyment and I like to avoid all of the over publicity if possible because I'm invariably expecting just too much!
Give me Kelly and Astair anytime over Mr Gosling!
Enjoy and keep your expectations low!

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 12:55 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it last week I agree with Ricky. I don't think it deserved all the awards. Ken Finch.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 30, 2017 06:56 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from seeing La La Land. It was the last movie on my list. I've now watched all the movies nominated for Oscars this year. Despite Gosling and Stone being excellent actors expecting Astaire and Rogers performances would definitely be setting the bar too high. Both actors did a terrific job considering they are not singers or dancers and kudos to Ryan Gosling's piano playing. This movie is more of a homage to the old style musicals and should be enjoyed in that context. It's popularity is a good sign that this type of movie is well received even to a younger audience.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 31, 2017 12:55 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are very few new movies these days I enjoy, for various reasons.
I did enjoy this one, but if I never see it again, that'll be fine too.
Should we really be comparing it to the 40's and 50's musicals? It certainly tipped a nod in that direction, but that's about it. On it's own, it's a nice movie, I found.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 05:38 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you enjoyed it, we did this week, but what about the quality of presentation?
All the quality of picture gone that the musicals of the 50s and 60s had with roadshows in Cinerama, Toad-AO and 70mm.
We saw it at the IMAX Bradford the sound was excellent but visual terrible. Won't be going to digital IMAX again.
The IMAX people should be ashamed in getting rid of 70mm horizontal projectors.

--------------------
Regards,
David

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2017 02:17 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone able to comment yet on picture quality?

--------------------
Regards,
David

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 22, 2017 01:07 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to see this on the big screen since well...its shot in Los Angeles and I heard it made Los Angeles look great! Well it did! I enjoyed the film but...it is way overhyped. The story is pretty typical. Its interesting the way it was shot, very whimsical, and you can tell a lot of work went into making this film. I mean..how can you film on an LA freeway during rush hour? Incredible!
The music was good, everything was good.. but 14 nominations? Not for me.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2017 09:13 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say Big Screen did you mean that in the usual way or was it IMAX?
I'm after reports on picture quality as I was very disappointed with digital IMAX.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 11, 2017 11:38 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No IMAX here. Just bigger than my 40 inch tv or my 10 ft super 8 screen.
After having seen it a 2nd time.. and a 3rd I like it much better after the first viewing. Its pretty incredible visually and I can see the work that went into it. I also like the music and it reminds me a little bit of "Grease". Set design, costumes, and the fluid camerawork is what I started to notice the next few times around.

[ March 12, 2017, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Alan Rik ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC