8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Downfall on blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Downfall on blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 01:28 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an amazing German film production, filmed in Russia. "Downfall" retells the final days of the Second World War with Germany as recorded in the diaries of Adolf Hitler's private secretary, Traudi Junge. The film starts with a introduction by Traudi Junge herself which recounts, not just her life in those final days in Berlin, but also the the final Downfall of the murderous regime itself.

The Language is in German with English sub-titles.. highly recommend it.

Traudi Junge
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 02, 2017 03:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

Did you know that the film is the basis for a YouTube phenomenon?

If you look in YouTube under "Hitler Rants Parodies" there are (approximately) 60 zillion short videos based on this film. Apparently there is some app available to select scenes from the film and add (fake) subtitles. (German speakers won't be fooled for a minute!)

I will grant you: comedy featuring Adolf himself is hanging it out at the edge of good taste, but some of them are really funny!

-it may be your only chance to see Hitler try to order a pizza!

I actually went through this in the opposite way: after I saw a bunch of these parodies I sought out the full feature!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 04:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.. I never new that was on you-tube and will have a look.

The thing is, that this film unlike anything I have watched in the past, is that near the end this "frail old man" still had so much control, and the willingness of his regime to obey him, even if it meant the destruction of the German people themselves.

Its certainly a slice of history showing us even right to the end how he managed to ruthlessly manipulate people.

Its scary stuff....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 02, 2017 04:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you read biographies of a lot of the biggest tyrants in history, it's not at all unusual for them to say the people they ruled weren't worthy of them when they came close to death, and they deserved their own destruction as well.

Stalin said this too, and as he lay dying he kept fading away and then all of a sudden he'd open his eyes and stare and the people around his bedside would jump back in fear.

-it's all they'd ever known.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 07:04 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve one of my favourites is the 'Kodachrome' downfall parody.

Great feature film as well. Very atmospheric.

Graham S

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 02, 2017 09:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, Graham!

Thanks!

Hitler can't get Kodachrome!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 09:44 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Graham..that was very well done [Smile]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 10:03 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham Ritchie have you seen the pm I sent you? (Not referring to this topic)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 10:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill I have sent you a reply [Smile]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 10:47 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it! Thanks, and sorry for the interruption.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 11:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Bill...thanks again [Smile]

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2017 10:49 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, Saw it some months ago and I have to agree that this is a brilliant film. Steve, I watched your Kodachrome link and not only did it make me laugh, but made me want to watch the film again. How I envy the clever people who think these things up!!!

--------------------
Dave

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2017 11:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Parodies range all the way from stupid to brilliant, because many different people make them. Some of the more interesting ones get very creative.

Some of my favorites are where Adolph contacts a call center because he's having trouble getting on the internet, and one particular one where he's upset because he found out he's actually been dead for 70 years.

There are a lot of interviews on YouTube from the people that created "Downfall" saying how hard it was to portray people who were war criminals who deserved no sympathy, but thought they were heroes (even martyrs) who did.

(It's complicated...)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 26, 2018 04:14 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its been over a year since I last watched this movie, but tonight I watched it once again. Without a doubt its gripping stuff, so if anyone has yet to watch it, I would certainly recommend it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC