8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Napolean 1927 - DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Napolean 1927 - DVD
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 11, 2017 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought the BFI 2016 restoration 4-disc set of the 1927 French film of "Napoleon" by Abel Gance.
Can somebody please explain the following from the package:-

"DVD9 x 4:25fps. 5.1DTS-HR (48kHz/16-bit) and PCM 2.0 stereo (48kHz/16-bit)".

If you have this set I would be interested to read any comments.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2017 03:38 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The audio systems are quite normal and every day things. You have the choice of 2 channel stereo or ,DTS 5.1 (multichannel), all obtainable on virtually every DVD players output. If using an external AV amp, the sound will be decoded quite normally, just like any other DVD, depending on your set up. A TV will just reproduce the two channel sound. The PCM (Pulse code modulation) 2channel sound indicates that it is a high quality recording, higher than a CD, though in reality the DTS will sound better if if you have a multi channel set up and the audio quality will still be good and probably limited by your audio equipment's performance anyhow. I always go for the multi channel choice.
The DVD 9 means it is double layered, common for long films and again quite normal,
You have written DVD9 x 4:25fps, but it should be DVD9 x 4, 25fps. So you get 4 discs I presume.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 12, 2017 05:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Martin, for your comprehensive reply.

Yes, it is a 4-disc set. From what you said, the BFI printing appears to be incorrect regarding the audio. I copied it exactly as written.

I use a Sony Freeview disc recorder (includes hard-drive) for playback to my Panasonic 50" plasma. This has many speakers in it.

Each disc has a menu which includes Set-Up, this offers 5.1 audio or 2.0 audio. Regrettably, the former is set on each disc and at this setting there is no sound on my TV. It is therefore necessary to click on the 2.0 option to receive the sound. Very annoying to have to remember to go to this option as each disc is changed.

However, the sound is very good with its specially written orchestral score. It is a silent film with appropriate tinting.

http://shop.bfi.org.uk/napoleon-dvd.html#.WKBAT0xFDIV

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2017 06:06 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure Maurice! Actually the audio is correct but what did confuse me was the '4:25fps'!
Some players have the option to automatically select the 5.1 track over the stereo track, and others do it the other way around. And then some discs, like 'Under the Skin' prioritise the 2 ch PCM over the 5.1. Its the same with Dolby digital vs DTS, so I find myself always going to that part of the menu on a DVD/ Blu-Ray every time. Its really annoying to start running a film and find that the preferred format is not playing!
You may find hidden on your TV and player the options, if you have not already tried, to force your equipment to play all audio 'folded' to a 2.0 signal, to make things simpler.
I hope you enjoy the viewing of your copy!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC