8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm Kinoton in UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm Kinoton in UK
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2017 04:57 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice-looking 35mm projector set up for home use with dinky little lamp house. EBay UK :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinoton-35mm-Cinema-Projector-Ready-To-Run-in-The-Home-YOU-MUST-WATCH-THE-VIDEO-/201816431770?hash=item2efd325c9a:g:D7IAAOSwB-1YoE8k

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2017 08:38 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And be sure to watch the video on the auction.I watched it through the link on a Facebook page [Smile]
Owning this would be awesome!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 12:12 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How heavy is a 6,000 foot reel of 35mm film?

Trying to imagine the expression of my wife's face if she were to come home to see that in the living room. [Wink]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 13, 2017 02:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A spool with 6000ft of film on it is relatively easy to handle, although I have never weighed one.

--------------------
Maurice

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 13, 2017 02:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A full reel of 6000ft of 35mm film can weigh up to 15 kilos.
This is a great set-up, the Kinoton FP series are fantastic projectors, I run a FP50 at home.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 13, 2017 06:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the lamp on a Kinoton projector pulsed on and off and so did away with the need of a shutter.
If so, how does this eBay offering manage?
Or, am I wrong?

--------------------
Maurice

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 08:41 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't very often get envious but.........this is a dream machine.

--------------------
Dave

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 13, 2017 09:40 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, all Kinoton are regular projectors (ie - lamphouses + shutter), some can be adapted to the pulsed lamp system which was invented by Philips (early Kinoton machines are Philips machines), the later models of the "E" series had a microprocessor controlled shutter and intermittent system for optimal light throughput and steadiness.

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 09:44 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The great thing about this one is that it would go flat up against a back wall and not take up too much space. I have a pedestal 16mm machine and the same is true, because the reels are above and below and the back is flat it can take up less space than a portable with a 2,000ft reel on the rear arm. This is true of my set-up, the 16mm pedestal lens is six inches further back than the lens on my Eiki NT1s were. 35mm spools and storing the films, now that is a storage problem. Getting hold of good 35mm prints and storing them would be the issue for me. Mind you there are plenty of trailers.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 13, 2017 11:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way to store 35mm features is on 6000ft spools as two, or maybe three, would hold the film, as opposed to a stack of 2000ft cans.
However, the price of the large spools would increase the cost of a feature.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 11:55 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming these things get bolted to the floor. Otherwise it looks like they could topple over pretty easily.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 13, 2017 03:17 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They weigh 240 kilos so believe me, they won't topple easily. The top part is almost empty (these models have a free spinning pay-off axle).

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 05:25 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great machine but what a shame its so noisy! I think i'll stick to my Hollywood Star - the quietest 16mm projector ever made and to be honest 16mm most probably gives the optimum picture quality for home presentation. If you've got a dedicated projection booth then this is fantastic realistic opportunity to get into 35mm, but not for the likes of most of us. I once had a Simplex portable 35mm sound projector in its own blimp/case and when running the projector was barely audible. Wish I had kept it.

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 06:04 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a beauty!

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 06:05 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a beauty!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC