8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Fixing Sountracks on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fixing Sountracks on Super 8
Gilbert Lambert
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2017 02:58 AM      Profile for Gilbert Lambert   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear friends collectors of Super 8, I can see great movies sold in Super 8 in Spanish or Italian. Some are black and white. If it's original black and white , meaning we won't have fading problems in colours, why are they not considered good enough to redo the soundtracks in English ? I wish I could do it, a movie is a movie, as a real movie fan, even if the movie is not a Gremlins or a Back to the Future , it's an addition to a collection . right ? Or am I missing something ? If the movies are complete, sound can be taken from a DVD to give it an English track ? Can I have your opinions please? Thank you, Gilbert

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 19, 2017 03:18 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gilbert, i agree with you very much, whilst i try and keep quality films in our collection i like to add things i like, weather or not they are full classic films or modern blockbusters. Every addition grows our collection, we obviously only buy what we like to watch.
On changing soundtracks, there are many people on here with the skills and equipment to do this. I have never really had either the equipment or the time but i have to say i wish i did. There are many films with foreign language soundtracks that we would love to own but haven't been able to simply because we do not re-record or have decent enough equipment to do so.One such movie is the 3 x 400ft cross of iron which often comes up in German.
I watched a fellow collector help me one evening re-record my 400ft copy of Young Frankenstein to English on his GS1200.
The result was out of this world & he made it look so easy but i was fortunate enough to have to CD soundtrack which was already edited to the 400ft edition.
[Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 19, 2017 03:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider any film worthy of the effort Gilbert time permitting.

I didn't know that the act of recording soundtracks onto films WAS left exclusively for the later prints by collectors?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Gilbert Lambert
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2017 04:17 AM      Profile for Gilbert Lambert   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks my friends, some days ago FIVE DAYS IN A BALLOON popped up in Italy , complete, only first 400ft faded, the rest seemed excellent colour , for 40 euro only. Some black and white Italian movies are often on sale , originally in Italian, and today we know that on DVD there are sometimes dubbed in English versions available even if the original sound was in another language. I'm following these sales since a few years and I think our collections could be extended by at least 100 titles if we could change the soundtrack. Some 6 months ago I passed on a collection of at least 50 complete features in Italian for only 400 euro for all ... that's 10 euro or 10 dollars for 1 complete movie. Those prints will be dumped more and more from now on , as they are found in the attic by the younger generation and considered worthless ... I found a Ben Hur in 35mm Technicolor considered worthless ... with only 18 minutes missing , beautiful , no vinegar , if I could find a sound person here where I live with time on his hands or somebody with low income, maybe a handicapped person, in a wheelchair who needs or wants an extra little job or income from home, I would gladly give him the job and start buying the prints and the DVD's. I'm seriously considering doing it. Every print saved is a new collector's item for somebody out there, God Bless, Gilbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 19, 2017 04:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Defiantly agree with you Andy on this, i would love to re-record many titles over the years, it literally is not having the right equipment to do the job properly or ,(over the years,) the time.
Having seen what Mr Clancy did for my Young Frankenstein, this was fantastic. The sound is definatly better than what many films came with as standard. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 19, 2017 05:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And 99 times from 100, always will be Tom. for the 1/ 100 that isn't, it will not be any worse, it will simply mean that the magnetic properties of the stripe isn't good enough to squeeze even more from it in terms of its frequency response etc.

[ February 19, 2017, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 19, 2017 08:23 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gilbert, if you are a French-speaking Belgian, I recommend you Jean-Christophe (another Belgian member from this forum). He can dub your films in French and has a good reputation for that. I brought him two films this morning in a Film Fair in Waremme and may be able to pick them back dubbed in French next month at the Ternat film fair. If you're a Dutch-speaking Belgian and/or want your film dubbed in English, I would suggest you to contact him to ask if he has the soundtracks to do that.

--------------------
Dominique

Gilbert Lambert
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2017 09:22 AM      Profile for Gilbert Lambert   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Dominique , I know J.C. , he did one some 5 years ago for me. From German to French , The Marketing 3 Parter with Belmondo and Raquel Welch ( L'Animal ) - Here I'm talking about the complete Italian and Spanish titles that show up - In the past I bought some films from JC as well. He is very reliable and an honest gentleman. Can you send me the dates of the next two film fairs in Belgium. I have no idea where they are. I speak fluently Dutch and French, I was raised in both languages in Oostende as my father was from Liege but came to live in Oostende in the fifties. I tried to contact JC lately after he asked me to contact him, but no reaction, maybe my email got lost. I surely want to meet him in person. Thanks Dominique.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 19, 2017 12:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gilbert, for sure your e-mail was lost otherwise Jean-Christophe would have answered you. The next Belgian Filmfair I'm aware of is at Ternat (Kloosterweg 1 1740 Ternat) on the 19th March (http://boursescinema.yolasite.com/agenda.php)

--------------------
Dominique

Gilbert Lambert
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2017 02:19 AM      Profile for Gilbert Lambert   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Dominique, thank you very much , I'll try to make it. Easy from where I live, it's only 100 kilometers. The other one in Roubaix seems great too. God Bless, Gilbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC