8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Black Stallion Returns.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Black Stallion Returns.
Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2017 11:23 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a manager/operator at a second run twin theater(remember twin theaters?) when on a particular Thursday night, the NSS( National Screen Service) driver dropped off a print of The Black Stallion Returns at my theater. I wondered why since that film was not on my weekly film schedule. Now, this was the Thursday before Fathers Day, to which you're probably thinking," What does this have to do with the price of eggs in China?"

I'll explain: on the Saturday before Fathers Day, Rich,head of the mall's maitenence said to me ,"Are you ready for showing the Black Stallion Returns on Fathers Day?" When I asked him what he was talking about, Rich told me that my theater chain had put an ad in the local shoppers paper saying," Treat your Dad to a movie. Free showing of The Black Stallion Returns on Fathers Day at 10:00. Rich also let me know that the district manager told him to tell me not to open the concession stand because we were showing a free movie and nothing more. It would have been nice if the district manager had told me himself on,oh,I don't know, Thursday when I received the film?

Anyhoo, on Fathers Day my audience consisted of about ten people. That was sure worth getting up early in the morning, driving a half hour to work and opening up the theater for ten measly people. And for free to top it off. Just think of what would have happened if I had never been told. Talk about a lack of communication!

[Mad]

--------------------
Joe

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 12:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good story Joe..

I ran an old 35mm print of this film at home about a month ago. The sound quality was not the greatest, other prints have been fine, however it was still enjoyable to watch. I posted a video of that night on Vimeo..

https://vimeo.com/200520183

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 05:07 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed that Graham, Thanks.

Wish there was an affordanle, small, portable 35mm machine.

Oh Dear !!!! Good job there is`nt.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 12:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a beautiful film! This was actually released on super 8 and on low fade film stock! The prints I have seen are VERY good!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a super 8 print of THE BLACK STALLION. A Red Fox release on pre-striped Kodak LPP. I was not aware that the sequel was also released on super 8 ?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 12:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark

Alexander I also have a Super8 copy of "The Black Stallion" and its an excellent print.

Osi are you sure "The Black Stallion Returns" was released on Super8? like Alexander I have never heard of it on 8mm...

I took a couple of screen shots of the "The Black Stallion" on Super8 last year when I ran it through the projector that night.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 25, 2017 11:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I was referring to ther original "Black Stallion", i was slightly confused by the title of this series of posts, "The Black Stallion Returns", I thought it was a play on words.

(didn't like the sequel) ...

And boy! I wasn't wrong on the color on "Black Stallion", was I?

You're a lucky man to havr that print. Red Fox films certainly did a really good job with most of thier prints!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 25, 2017 02:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This particular print of "The Black Stallion Returns""was the last film to be shown at the Odeon cinema back in 1983 before it closed for good as a cinema. Sadly due to earthquake damage the building sat for years open to the weather.

In its day as a cinema it was really nice, so in a way I am lucky to have this last print. Although not as popular as "The Black Stallion" got that on 35mm as well by the way [Wink] "The Black Stallion Returns" I dont think was a bad sequel to the original, anyway here is the original paper cutting of the Odeon last screening. [Frown]
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC