8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Well, THIS person has a low opinion of super 8! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Well, THIS person has a low opinion of super 8!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
look at this auction ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JERRY-LEWIS-is-THE-BIG-MOUTH-Never-Released-Rare-Super-8-Print-color-sound-400ft-/182454110422?hash=item2a7b1cc8d6:g:0T0AAOSwax5YrfnG

Down below in the description, he states, "All Super 8 fades", and then explains further.

Apparantly, he's never heard of Agfa, L.P.P. and, in most cases Fiji film (well, none of my fuji prints have faded yet).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 12:20 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I am the reason for the disclaimer. I purchased a U8 digest of THIS ISLAND EARTH from him, described as having good color. I could see that there were already a couple of other buyers watching the item, and it had a reasonable buy-it-now price, so I rolled the dice. The color was pretty bad, so I returned it. He sent a message saying that unfortunately, all these Super 8 films fade. I did not engage.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 12:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh ...

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 06, 2017 12:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed a Blackhawk 'Rascals in front of my son's Cub pack a few years ago. The Scoutmaster introduced me with a "faded and scratched" announcement.

-am I ever glad I chose one of my best Blackhawk prints that night!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 01:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not wrong Marshall, although I suspect he won't be around to see the LPP ones fade!,😁😁😁

Just like I won't and maybe our kids won't hopefully!!

Many may have another 70 or 80 years left if kept in ideal conditions. Maybe even longer, who knows?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 02:07 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention B&W films on silver particle (not dye based) stock. How long does it take them to fade?

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 02:46 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because in B&W films, negatives and photo's the image is made out of silver-halide particles and no dyes are involved, the image cannot fade.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 03:06 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I meant.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 12:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is ...

... i've had more of a problem with "disinegration' with black and white film than color. Yeah, some prints color fades over time, but the black and white film stock will actually fall apart or even get that strange "spotting" (I don't know what it's called, but it's a slightly bronze "growth" on the film ... little dots).

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 02:02 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that's due to inadequate fixing or rinsing of the film in the labs.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 03:03 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pure Black and White film stock.
Mmmmmmmmm !!! Lovely.

You should see Black and White on "nitrate" stock dangerous to
run but absolutely wonderful.

I think I still have some somewhere among my 35mm films.
That's whats worrying me. I have misplaced it.
Perhaps a fire waiting to happen.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 04:36 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimy this guy certainly doesnt know about super 8. This film has been on 8 for years, here is my review on this very forum, look at the colours in my print.
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000581

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 05:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the color of this print had been like Tom's since the beginning.

Only at that time film was being sold (circa 1970s) this type of colors was a norm, so we did not have any problem with it.

Today, we are trained time by time with picture quality and we are now kind of an expert. Therefore, our eyes will say that this type of color is the fading ones.

This type of phenomenon happens many times with sound, picture and color quality.

I do really remember when the Super VHS was introduced in an exhibition and I said to myself that was the ultimate quality that people could get.

Then we got Laser Disc, DVD, and now BluRay.

With my habit to watch BlurRay, when I return to this SVHS, I talk to myself.....

what sort of picture quality is this!

[Wink] [Big Grin]

So it is just like that!

--------------------
Winbert

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 03:39 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think all we collectors who bought any print of any film on 8mm
should be getting our money back.
After all we did buy them for life not expecting them to fade.
Its a pity that the distributors are no longer with us as I for one would be making a lot of phone calls and writing a lot of
letters to them complaining demanding a refund.

We were 'duped' as they knew they would fade over time when they sold them to us on the film stocks used for printing them.

WHAT A SCAM !!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 04:18 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only LPP went back 5 years further, all those lovely digest`s etc and would have kept prices sensible as well .

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 09:04 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody Nora David, if you'd like a refund for all your Super8, God help anyone who ever sold you a VHS Video Cassette.

Nowadays a DVD, in 10 years time maximum!

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 11:19 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cor blimey Andrew.

I would only want a refund for all my faded prints.
All my VHS has been binned because they were cheaper and
not worth the tape they were recorded on.

Either way we were had ... BIGTIME !!! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 04:30 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we start a class action for refunds I would like to have my viewing time back as well I watched either crap movies The Rose 20 minutes Hawk the Slayer 90 minutes soft print plus many others.

All in all can I have 12 years 3 months 4 days 16 hours and 17 minutes plus £12.56 for the petrol going to watch crud films in other home cinemas.

I'll let you off all the thermofilm because I think the second penis is handy and glowing in the dark is fun.

I'd just like to say Santa Claus 🎅🏾Santa Claus 🎅🏾Santa Claus only 9 months to go

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
We were never "had" David. Some simply want things way beyond what is technically possible given their time period of release.

If you have even a modicum of "feel" for this aspect of life,

There are no complaints!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 04:40 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was had. I only bought The Rose because I was promised rock n roll and sex got Bette Midler singing still traumatised 😥😥😥

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Should have looked at IMBD of the day Micheal. [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 04:44 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look folks nothing last forever certainly we dont, so why worry [Roll Eyes] you got pleasure out of those films at the time and for many we still do. I would never think of fading prints along the lines that I have been "had" after all look how many years its taken for them to get to that stage.

Films are not a $$$$$ investment, any one thinking along those lines is crazy, enjoy them while you can.. you cant take them when you go, after all there are still lot of films that have not faded...I have heaps...enjoy [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 04:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Graham and I'm certain the people spending over £1000 on Star Wars etc, feel exactly the same.

It's merely a calculated 10 year investment and a good one at that if you love film and these type of films!

Good on you I say!!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 04:48 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There wasn't an Internet then Andy. All we had was Page 3, Benny Hill Show and Pans People.👀👀👀👀

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 04:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved Pans People but even back then, there was still a way to research the film "The Robe".

I knew even back then, it was never one I ever desired!😁😁

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC