8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » B737 Tailcam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B737 Tailcam
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 15, 2017 03:28 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came across this neat tailcam footage of the approach into Queenstown airport here in the South Island. In the past I used to fly down there quite a bit. It was always an interesting approach as you were well and truly flying down in the mountains at either side. Around this time ANZ were having engine troubles with the turbines, anyway it was not a approach to have any engine failure thats for sure.

Thought you might like to see this its pretty good.. [Cool]

https://youtu.be/H_igeYs1eSU

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 15, 2017 10:45 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible video Graham! Thanks for posting it.
Kudo's to the pilot - I would hate to fly into there at night or in heavy overcast.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 15, 2017 11:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of a landing some years ago.
After the touch down and reverse thrust, the passengers all broke out with clapping.
The pilot's voice announced:-
"Thank you. But I don't really deserve your appreciation. The auto-pilot landed us".

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 15, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of those auto-pilot landings some years ago. It's a good thing the pilot told us after we landed!

-another time, another place:

2003: we've flown all the way across Siberia from Moscow towards Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk in the Russian Far East. It was this rinky-dink Russian domestic airline flying these Brezhnev era airliners. There are small domestic animals running around the cabin. The food is just beyond description.

We are on approach: Yuzhno is under heavy cloud cover, and we break through under a thousand feet up. At that instant the pilot realizes he's a lot closer to touchdown than he wants to be. Of course he can circle the city and then make an approach, but obviously this is a man on a schedule.

He went into this steep dive: maybe figured he'd do some kind of carrier landing. I swear I heard that shrieking sound that you always heard in war movies when a plane goes into a dive, but it turns out only dive bombers make that sound, it was probably just me being terrified.

He leveled off to touch down, but suddenly figured out at the speed he was now going he'd overrun the runway and take out half the city, so he pulled up.

-at the bottom of this not very subsonic parabola, I looked out the window and saw buildings going by in a blur.

We regained altitude, circled around and landed in the normal style. Nobody applauded, or particularly even spoke. I think I learned the Russian for "Jesus Christ! when we came to a stop.

-next time I take the train! (It's only 5 days!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 15, 2017 04:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would fly anywhere in Russia Steve.The Russians just do not have a good air safety record, and neither do their aircraft.
That's one good thing about the USA. Our airlines, and our aircraft, probably have the best safety record in the World. Flying here is about as dangerous as playing chess! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2017 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still prefer to fly Quantas like Rain Man. I agree with Paul about Russian and at the time I flew Eastern European air flights. Never was as relieved to get off one of their planes in my life they are death traps waiting to happen.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2017 05:19 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still prefer to fly Quantas like Rain Man. I agree with Paul about Russian and at the time I flew Eastern European air flights. Never was as relieved to get off one of their plans in my life they are death traps waiting to happen.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 15, 2017 06:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a very dangerous time of our lives, Paul. We were attempting to embark upon the seas of Parenthood!

When we touched down that day, Steven was still in an orphanage. The next flight he was aboard with us!

When we first went there to meet him there was a blizzard between us and JFK. Normally you'd never catch me driving in something like that: something about being motivated!

I went to Siberia twice on business about 5 years ago: two flights, both Aeroflot.

-Boeing and Airbus: no livestock in the cabin!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 15, 2017 07:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, that is an inspiring life story about you and you're wife adopting Steven.
As far as aircraft go, I have flown thousands of hours on many airlines, and I always feel noticeably less safe if I am NOT flying on Boeing planes. I still feel the Boeing 747 is the best commercial aircraft flying today. I have flown Airbus many times but they always seem far less sturdy than Boeing's and I do not trust their fly-by-wire computing system which can override the pilots decisions. The move to all composite fuselage and wing stuctures by Airbus (and unfortunately now by Boeing) is IMO a disaster waiting to happen, as they fail instantaneously, and if there is a fire they will burn like a blowtorch due to all the epoxy resin.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 15, 2017 08:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The airliners we flew from Moscow to Sakhalin were Ilyushin Il-62s (Ca. 1963-1974) and the airline was "Домодедовo". The in flight meal had a certain...road kill quality and the in flight movie wasn't.

I'll take Aeroflot anytime rather than do that one again!

What's no kidding sad, is I flew to Houston in February and there is no joy in it anymore. By the time you get through Security you feel like you've had a colonoscopy, the check in was like cattle in a meat processing plant and the flights are packed. (-Of course we wound up in the same row as the screaming baby!)

-it's a shame, I used to love flying.

As far as the adoption, for better or worse he's a teenager now...mostly better...but there are times!

(This is how I repay my parents for when I was the teenager!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant story Steve..

Paul I agree regarding the 747. Air New Zealand used them on the Auckland to London return run for over 30 years with only one stop in LA either way twice a week. The flight time was around the 24-27 hour mark, 15 hrs alone was the Pacific leg...The 747 was an excellent aircraft for those long haul journeys, although in saying that it was always a relief to get off.

https://youtu.be/BblfunEtAac

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 07:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness Virgin Atlantic still fly 747's between the US and the UK. The main reason I know longer fly British Airways who use the inferior 777 and Airbus.
There is something uniquely comforting about flying the four engine 747, you just feel the solid design and sheer power of the aircraft, and its ability to handle just about any emergency situation.
Plus its a lot roomier than the competition.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 07:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, these days more than ever before, when I'm boarding, I feel somewhat reassured by seeing 4 engines instead of two!

The world is a very scary place nowadays unfortunately.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 16, 2017 09:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is while I've easily been on over a hundred flights, but since most of 'em have been domestic hops (very typical: New York Laguardia-Dallas on American Airlines), I've almost never been on a 747.

One time: Lufthansa, JFK to Frankfurt.

It seemed like a flying apartment house compared to my usual MD80s and Saab turboprops. It seemed to scare turbulence out of the way too!

The Ilyushin Il-62 is a different kettle of fish altogether: if you push the back of the seat in front of you forward, it tips over flat!

-you can put your feet up if nobody's sitting there.

-not much good in a hard landing of course...

An old friend was once in the Air Force and flew aboard MATS (Military Air Transport Service) airliners. Their seats face the back of the plane, much safer!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 02:13 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I was on a 747 was a "Pan Am" flight from London to Seattle in late January 1975. What stood out was the perfect conditions over some stunning scenery of ice and snow, as the flight path to Seattle went quite far north.

It was a very relaxed flight and the cabin crew were great. When we were about to land at Seattle, a cabin attendent approached me and mentioned that she would take me and another person to the gate to show us our connecting "Pan Am 707" flight leaving later that evening for the journey south across the Pacific. She was lovely and so helpfull... you really could not ask for better service than that.

Shame that "Pan Am" went under [Frown]
 -
Can anyone remember this? [Smile]
 -

How times have passed.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 09:08 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah the glory days of flying, when the flight attendants always looked immaculate, and the customers put on their best outfits for the special occasion.
Now its like a cattle car, with slobs in shorts munching on buckets of stinking popcorn! [Frown]
How civilization has degraded.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 08:22 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think I have ever come across an airline using there mechanics for an add, good on "Pan Am" for doing just that way back in 1975 [Cool]
 -
The last time I saw one of there Pan Am 747s was when one was diverted here due to weather, while I was doing tarmac duty a long while ago. The 747 looked rough, that must have been during there decline.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC