8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Rule #1? Glad you asked. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rule #1? Glad you asked.
Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 18, 2017 03:00 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I contacted a few people yesterday regarding this topic. I now feel it's worth addressing the entire membership.

This Forum chugs along everyday, questions are asked, views are expressed, films are bought, sold & reviewed. Months can go by without an issue. However, there seems to be an uptick in callous remarks here lately, so I'd like to remind all members of the 8mm Forum's first rule.

Personal attacks are not allowed. Period.

For a film forum, there are surprisingly many issues where we disagree with each other. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Arguments will happen. The object is for us to express ourselves and remain civil while doing so. Here's the cliche, but it's true: We can disagree with someone without being disagreeable. I may be in the right about a particular topic, but if I'm rude about it, I'm wrong. There's no need to be dismissive and there is never a reason to make a disagreement personal. It really is a matter of respecting both yourself and your fellow film folk.

Located in the explanatory paragraph for rule #1 is this sentence:
If you are unsure that your post will "read" properly towards another, please consider using "smilies" to assist in expressing your intended tone.
This only works when there is no real harm meant. News flash: Adding graemlins to a sentence whose sole purpose is to denigrate doesn't make it any less nasty.

As moderator, I am herby revoking Forum Rule #18:
Always get the last word in.

Okay, there's no such rule….but a few seem to believe that there is. While discussion & debate are good, this is not a competition. You may have used all the facts at your disposal, endowed your sentences with extra flair and you even get that special feeling that your latest post closely resembles poetry, however there remain those who will just not leave the dark side. Feel free to walk away. There are other lonely topics just waiting for some attention.

I look forward to your replies, however I make two requests. Please avoid naming other members if you feel the need to do so. This is not about one or two people in particular, this is about a trend. My second request? Civility. Thanks.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 18, 2017 03:23 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"We can disagree with someone without being disagreeable"

This sums it up.
Thanks Doug.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 18, 2017 04:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good Doug, however there has been the odd topic in the past, that in my view, has been started with the sole purpose of stirring things up "Sanity Clause" being one.

I understand peoples passion for film collecting and projecting films and I think thats great, but just dont take things to serious....life is to short to go down that path.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2017 04:23 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am glad to see this "trend" getting addressed as this is really why I don't bother much with this forum anymore. Kevin's post in the "Speed" thread sums up my feelings on the matter and as much as I'm sure things will quiet down, they (I know, no names) will be back and it will be the same old, same old. [Smile]

I hope it is different.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2017 05:19 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug
While your principles are commendable I have a problem with some members promoting themselves on this Forum without the opportunity of disaffected members voicing their opinions concerning a bad experience. I agree that sometimes the exchanges go beyond the bounds of common decency and as a moderator it is your prerogative to intervene,(and a great job of it you do), but let us not have a restrained and too regulated posting system that prevents members from revealing their experiences, whether altogether true or not. We all deserve a freedom of speech and opinion. Accused members have the right of reply and it is up to the collective membership to make a determination. My opinion is that this is the way to uphold the respected values of this Forum. In addition to the invaluable information and advice posted, we also deserve to know about the wrongdoers.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 19, 2017 03:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dog, the Cat and Mouse agree
To live together peacefully
With this Truce we won't tinker
The one that does is a STINKER

"The Truce Hurts". Tom & Jerry cartoon. Released 17 July 1948.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2017 08:22 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent post, Douglas. I'm a member of several local Facebook forums and everybody's polite and there's no aggro apart from one site. Ironically, it's the one for the village where I live where a few just mock legitimate concerns posted. The worst guy was banned but another clever dick's heading the same way. I'm sorry if my recent post about a rusty 16mm projector on eBay broke the rules and so was deleted. It wasn't meant as a plug but just to illustrate the absurd prices being asked over here.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 20, 2017 01:59 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sorry if my recent post about a rusty 16mm projector on eBay broke the rules and so was deleted. It wasn't meant as a plug but just to illustrate the absurd prices being asked over here.
Will your post was not deleted, it was moved to the correct category, i.e 16mmforum, since previously it was in the 8mmforum. You can still follow your post here:

16mm Projector for Sale on eBay

Don't worry about a crazy listing, in fact we have a sticky post regarding it here:

eBay Oddities (Please post all funny eBay links here!)

So next time I suggest you to post any Ebay funny links there.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 08:33 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that, Winbert. I hadn't realised that there was a thread for eBay oddities. I like a good laugh.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 09:36 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, depending on the subject matter I have seen a increase of bad behavior on some forums where it's become like Kindergarten. Sometimes it becomes necessary for the moderators to step in, but it rears its ugly head again in time. While the Internet is a wealth of information for film collectors it also makes it too easy to misbehave. I find it annoying and tiresome especially when threads are hijacked and I avoid certain topics altogether that are known hotbed issues.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 05:25 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,
well said and spot on! things have been getting unpleasant here recently and it has to be said,often from UK members.
its a great hobby,but only a hobby,there is no need for this vitriol.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 06:27 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and not only recently, Ged from Derann said he didn't post here anymore due to similar things happening to him.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 07:02 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a lot of people like Ged and others who don't bother posting on this forum anymore. I also know people who can't be bothered to go to the many conventions (BFCC included) because of members of this forum who like to be in a clique.

Happy Days!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 21, 2017 11:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE that post Maurice! [Smile]

I agree as well, Doug. Sometimes people do need to be called on the carpet, but I would also suggest that, before a person do so, along with the rules you (Doug), have mentioned, make sure that you have you're point factually grounded ... in fact. No gossips, no "well, he said" ect ect.

... and , (I have to admit that I have done this before, once in a long while), give you're situation enuf time to resolve before going "mad" on forums, I mean, even as the situation is in play.

However, there is good thing about venting about problems on a film forum. Sometimes, it's that extra bit of pressure that might just make a buyer/seller of films, that wouldn't automatically do the right thing, do the right thing, because it's out in the open.

Just do it in a civil manner. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 21, 2017 01:43 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Sanity Clause was a good posting really, i see what you say about not criticising others, fully understand that, but views must be allowed to be expressed as long as the rules are kept. [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 21, 2017 03:05 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great replies!

Rule #1 allows for posting difficult experiences with other members (buying/selling, etc.). The problem is that the issue can easily get obscured by insults & name calling or can go off topic by others joining in with comments that don't always apply to the case at hand.

If you should find yourself involved in a film/equipment transaction gone bad, post about it by stating the facts. If others can add something that's truly relevant, they should join in. Hopefully a solution will be reached.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2017 03:30 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The moderator of the silent film boar Nitrateville posted something similar last winter (or the year before). He linked it to the end of winter and people getting a bit grumpy because of a lack of sunlight! I liked that observation.

Patience people, spring has just officially started. Days are getting longer. Time to start thinking of outdoor film parties! Blow the dust of the bbq!

Happy days!

- Rob

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should add one thing Doug.

This is a film forum, 8mm to be precise.

Apart from the rule#1 you cannot attack a person, members are also not allowed to insult this hobby, just because (e.g) you quit from the hobby or you are no longer able to fullfill (read: buy) more stuff in this hobby.

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 21, 2017 04:34 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm puzzled if Ged said factors had caused him to stop posting here. Much as I'd welcome his posts (although I see his very interesting writing on Facebook), a search indicates that he only ever posted two (completely non-controversial) messages here.

I'm just as astonished if there are members here who avoid going to conventions because there's a clique of members attending. As someone who goes to many of the conventions, I've never spotted such a clique, but even if I did, I don't see that it would make any difference to my experience. It's easy to spend too much time chatting at conventions, and too little looking at dealer stalls, so not being in a clique would be an advantage!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2017 04:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Doug has clearly stated in the first time:

quote:
Please avoid naming other members if you feel the need to do so
No matter in a positive or negative way.

Ged has been mentioned although not meant in a negative way, but I can see this will become a way to sound the negativity.

A name should not be named. So I hope Doug can rectify this please.

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2017 05:50 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
What utter rubbish! I can think of no other platform that would hesitate to help other readers to avoid a bad experience than by highlighting their own. We are a Forum primarily dedicated to help others in enjoying the pleasure of film and if a seller/ dealer ,albeit a member, transgresses the basic sensibilities that a normal person expects, then we need to know. What are you afraid of? Ooh - we must not upset anyone?
There is a famous quote that that is becoming ever forgotten because of all the ridiculous political correctness that is forced upon us these days - 'Evil thrives when good men do nothing' Speak out and be damned with the consequences.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2017 06:17 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, Doug's statement (which I repeated) was meant only to this particular thread. He says

quote:
I look forward to your replies, however I make two requests. Please avoid naming other members
This means, please do not naming a name if you want to reply in this thread.

For other bad experience with a seller, Doug says

quote:
If you should find yourself involved in a film/equipment transaction gone bad, post about it by stating the facts. If others can add something that's truly relevant, they should join in. Hopefully a solution will be reached.
And I fully agree with it.

--------------------
Winbert

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2017 06:31 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused why eBay disputes are brought here. I think it is best to allow eBay to settle those rather than this forum.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 21, 2017 10:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Tom will have to disagree regarding the topic "Sanity Clause"

Quote from a certain member [Roll Eyes]

""Yes Sane=Rational/Sound Mind and all that psycho-babble while the West sit back and spends hundreds or thousands of pound or dollars on prints in order to be ENTERTAINED in our own home"".

This person also continued his rant with.."...

Quote.. ""While other starve to death along with their children due to famines or war by the greed of the Western Word"".

End of quotes..

Well if that person was so affected by all this on the forum then he should SELL all his films, instead of threatning to later burm them, and donate all $$$$$ from the sales to a charity....but I bet he wont.

This kind of thing being stated on the forum really does tick me off....hence my view that the aim of that topic was no more than stirring...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2017 02:29 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
Obviously I misunderstood your post. My apologies and thank you for clarifying it.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC