8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Pathe KOK 28mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathe KOK 28mm
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 03:19 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to share and hear your comments. I got this from the BFI, Hertfordshire a few years ago and although not cheap it is better than anything else I have seen advertised, especially as I includes a 28mm Charlie Chaplin film.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332189476233?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

|  IP: Logged

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 05:57 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW I would love to own one of these,such a rare film gauge!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2017 09:13 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton
Yes it's a real historic machine. They were designed to be independent of any power supply because in those days electricity was not supplied to households or even public halls or buildings. To overcome that problem the projector incorporated a dynamo which operated as you cranked the handle to run the film. At the correct cranking speed the dynamo produces approx 6 volts to supply the lamp - ingenious! Pathe Freres were fantastic innovators of cine equipment and film of that time and this is wonderful example of their work.

[ April 21, 2017, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Terry Sills ]

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2017 06:02 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely magnificent machine Terry. I have a similar one, but the case is more faded and battered, and the lamp house missing, so I'm very envious! Must be the pride of your collection.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 04:19 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Chris I do Love this projector. I have not seen better, but I would consider a deal with your Butcher 35. Let me know what you think!

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's so tempting, but I have to keep hold of that Butchers, though will certainly let you know if I ever change my mind. However I did used to have another, minus metal cover and lamp house, but otherwise in nice condition, which I sold to a friend. If you might want one, I can give him a call and see if he'd consider parting with it.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 01:16 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
Can you send me a photo of your Butchers? I would like an idea of the missing parts.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 01:44 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, here's mine. His is pretty much identical as I recall but lacks the tiny lamp house. It's similar to one from a KOK or a Pathe Baby, and I assume some previous owner removed it to fit a much larger one off a slide projector. (Both of ours have the handles, not shown.)

-

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 06:58 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a picture of my Pathé KOK 28mm projector. This one was manufactured for the USA market. The threading diagram was moved to under the take-up reel, and a switch was added (at the factory) to allow the projector's dynamo to either power the bulb, or turn it into a motor that plugged into 110 volt 60 cycle to allow the projector to run off of wall current. Not pictured, but I have the original cloth wrapped power cord that would run between the wall outlet and the 2 prongs that are pictured to the rear of the switch.

-

28mm film has 3 sprocket holes/frame on one side, and 1 sprocket hole/frame on the other, so it could not be threaded flipped around.

I also own a German Ernemann 35mm silent projector that is almost an exact knockoff of the Pathé KOK, except that it is 35mm instead of 28mm.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2017 02:05 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the picture Chris. I remember seeing one at the Clevedon museum where one of the helpful staff demonstrated it working. Lovely little 35mm machine.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC