8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Worst Money-Saving Botches

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worst Money-Saving Botches
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2017 01:21 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen anyone else really ruin good cine stuff by botched repairs caused by trying to save money. I saw a collector ruin a decent 16mm print when he emulsioned the rusty reels rather than replace them. The paint never dried but it ruined the sides of the film! Or the other guy who sprayed the whole of the insides of a decent Bauer projector to quieten it down rather than pay the £50 to have it fixed.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have specific examples but some repairs are definitely the result of short term thinking. Since much of the equipment we use is now very old, we have some insight into what lasts and what doesn't.

So I do cringe a little bit when I see some modifications being made that will address a particular issue in the short term but in 10 years will cause more problems than they solve.

But for a lot of people 10 years is a long time for a piece of equipment and they don't worry about what may happen after that. When I make a repair, I try to make it keeping the next owner in mind.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 04, 2017 04:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a machine once where the seller replaced the power inlet. He connected the white wire, he connected the black wire.

-he left the green wire dangling.

This was kind of a shame: the green one is the only one of the three that's there to save your life!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2017 05:49 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not so much on 8 and 16 but on 35 yes I have seen many cheap fixes and botches made to save a buck here or there.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 05, 2017 02:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many 16mm Bell & Howell users think that replacing a cracked worm gear will be a simple task, but they end up with problems. Even if the worm change is successful they probably do not know that it is necessary to set the mechanism for correct auto-threading.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 05, 2017 04:03 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be about 20 years ago but I threaded up a super 8 film and sat down watching to then suddenly hear this dreadful noise as something went through the gate.

Tuned off the machine and looked at the film.

Instead of a splice someone had used 2 metal staples to splice the film, and there were more further on.

Amazing, not least as the obvious noise etc and the film path and so on.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 05, 2017 04:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Been there Mark! [Big Grin]

Luckily it was coming off the spool towards my cleaning cloth on my editor during cleaning and thankfully, before watching it.
It got completely entangled in the cloth due to the staple!!

As Clouseau himself would say,..
"You Idiot, You Stupid Stupid Fool!" [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 05, 2017 07:16 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly different but I worked at a video store and once saw a rental retuned that the customer said wouldn't play. They were right . The previous customer broke the tape and "fixed" it with a big thick piece of gaffers tape!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 08:24 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon - putting film on a reel with wet paint is stupidity on a scale I've rarely come across, or did the collector actually paint the reel while the film was on it?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 09:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy aluminium ones only. No rust and no hammerite or vinyl silk emulsion required! 😀😀

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC