8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » OK, I am totally confused ... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: OK, I am totally confused ...
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 10:17 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a reel fan of something- regardless of the pacing- you will enjoy ANY new information/footage of the film that you love. I get it. I really love Cinema Paradiso and the theatrical cut is the best one but I saw the special edition which added another 20 minutes or so a few years ago when it was released In the theatres for a limited run. Glad I saw it but the pacing was uneven. It was obviously released for the fans of that film. Same with Dances with Wolves uncut version.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, unless the footage cut out was cut out for a very good reason.

One film that was helped immeasurably with the "directors cut' was "Highlander 2". The first 90 minute cut wasn't horrible, but the almost two hour directors cut, with fixed up special effects and such, was much better. it wasn't a perfect film to begin with, and isn't perfect now, but the directors cut was a big step up.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 03:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Sentry guns this in the Super8 print? as I cant remember seeing it on its film release to the cinema back in the 80s. Its certainly in the directors cut... [Cool]

https://youtu.be/elJ3t6AOPJc

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2017 03:23 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Joe the original cut is superior. Why do directors indulge themselves that way. Whilst the extra scenes added to the story it disrupted the flow and in my opinion weakened the film. Too long can be too much. I think Aliens was the most expensive feature I bought new at around £240 mark with discount as opposed to £300-£310 list price from Derann. Great movie and miles better than Ridley Scott's Alien which he yet again revisiting 📽📽

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2017 03:45 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ May 13, 2017, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 04:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats just it the original cut for cinema release was cut again, forced on to James Cameron because of studio pressure to reduce the running time.

I remember watching Blade Runner at the cinema and its the only time I felt like walking out of a film as I thought it was boring. But jumping forward to Ridley Scott and his return thankfully, to the film for a directors cut its brilliant.

Quite often the director is under pressure from the studios, so the film is not released as they would have wanted. Thanks to the market in home entertainment they have managed to return and get it right. Lawrence of Arabia is another I can think of, that was cut back over the years. It was only after the studio wanted to re-release it they asked David Lean back who sorted things out.

Anyway this is how the Alien got to the base in the first place [Wink]

https://youtu.be/iusPorC4wZE

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2017 04:41 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ May 13, 2017, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 09:28 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Graham. Very nice.. I've never seen that before.
I am a die hard "Aliens" fan! [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 10:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan your welcome [Smile]

Bye the way if you have 50 minutes to spare and have not watched the 2016 reunion on you-tube is a must to watch. One such story as to how both Bill Paxton and Michael Biehn told, that they were not allowed to watch it at the press screening, so with the permission from the cinema projectionist watched the film from the projection room [Big Grin] ...lots of good stories told on this you-tube video..

https://youtu.be/iqRjzU-G_ow

[Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC