8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Star Wars Restoration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars Restoration
Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2017 07:18 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has been posted here before but it has some history of how they restored the original Star Wars before it was re-released.

The Secret History of Star Wars

|  IP: Logged

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2017 08:55 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing. I had never seen this before. Some of my favorite parts of the article...

quote:

"George Lucas loaned YCM Labs his very own personal Technicolor print, which still looked the same as it had when he put it in storage some twenty years earlier. "George had a private [Technicolor] print in the basement of his home," Gagliano notes. "For the color timing he told us to go for that look: 'That's the Star Wars I made,' he told us." [34]"

quote:

This is another undoable element of the prequels--filmed on 1080p HD, they have, at the most, less than half the resolution of the 35mm original trilogy, with some arguing that 35mm resolves 5000 lines, meaning they have just under 1/5 the resolution (Phantom Menace was shot in 35mm, but then scanned in 2K--which is still an improvement over the following two films)

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2017 03:30 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 35mm print I saw at the Elephant & Castle Odeon was far from perfect on original release in 1978. The 70mm print at the Dominion Tottenham Court Road was so much better that I only went to 70mm showings of the rest of the series.

It would be interesting to see how the Derann release compares now with the restored version as far as fading and grading (or color timing) go.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 17, 2017 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I read of these "restorations", it makes me double proud of the fact that a completely, un-restored in any way shape or form, feature STAR WARS is on super 8 ...

The rare 1977 unrestored STAR WARS Super 8 Cineavision!

and besides that ... on L.P.P. film stock! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC