8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 16mm film screening in South London tomorrow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm film screening in South London tomorrow
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 27, 2017 07:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone within reach of Purley tomorrow (Thursday) would like to see a rare licensed 16mm presentation that's part of Purley Festival, you have the chance to see THE LONG DAY CLOSES (1992), directed by Terence Davies. Print hired from the BFI. A short support programme will feature an outstanding 8 minute 1986 animated film from New Zealand: THE FROG, THE DOG AND THE DEVIL, which was nominated for an Academy Award. Refreshments will be available from 7.30pm and the show stats at 8pm. One of the projectors will be an Eiki imported from the USA that's virtually unknown in the UK! Tickets are £5 and can be bought in advance or on he night. Full details and a location map: www.davidleancinema.org.uk/event/the-long-day-closes/

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2017 04:10 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A film well worth seeing. The B.F.I. told me they don't hire 16mm anymore. Obviously they do and I wonder what else they have available. Adrian, hope the show's a sell out. How about a picture or two to make those of us who can't make it drool?

--------------------
Dave

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2017 05:27 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have got a 35mm copy of THE FROG, THE DOG AND THE DEVIL a great cartoon! made by local producer/director Hugh McDonald who also made the great 3 screen short for expo 70 THIS IS NEW ZEALAND, and I believe A TRAIN FOR CHRISTMAS but I may be wrong, they where all funded by the then government run New Zealand National Film Unit.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 28, 2017 08:42 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.

David - I wonder if your query to the BFI may have been after a long-standing staff member known as "Mr 16mm" retired about 3-4 years ago, as I suspect some staff then lacked knowledge of the exact situation. If you might be interested in hiring something in future, contact me and I'll advise you of a good contact there, and I can comment on the likely cost and the murky subject of what they actually have! I'll see if someone can take one or two photos, although my flash won't be much use in the hall we're using.

Patrick - a 35mm print of this theatrically-released short was a great find, although I also consider myself lucky to have found a superb 16mm print, especially as I hadn't previously come across this excellent film. Anyone who would like to read about and see it can do so via www.awn.com/animationworld/keep-it-motion-classic-animation-revisited-frog-dog- and-devil but what you see won't compare to seeing it projected on film!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC