8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » New member -- introduction (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New member -- introduction
Jason Patnode
Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2017 08:30 AM      Profile for Jason Patnode   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Patnode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself. I'm a VFX artist by trade and have worked on a wide variety of films over the years. These days, though, I mainly work in digital and have been missing the look and feel of film. I thought it would be fun to get some old films and watch them as they were intended to be; projected on a screen. I stumbled onto this site quite by accident during my searching around. It seemed like a great forum so I joined up.

Looking forward to geeking out over old films.

Cheers,
-Jason

--------------------
Jason Patnode

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 03, 2017 08:47 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the 8mm Forum, Jason!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 03, 2017 08:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Jason
We are a friendly bunch.
What gauge of film will you will collecting?

--------------------
Maurice

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2017 11:11 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason, You're in good company here. Hope you get as much fun out of collecting as all of us here do.

--------------------
Dave

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 03, 2017 12:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Jason !

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 03, 2017 12:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, of course! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2017 02:04 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Welcome Jason! Wow I wanted to be an effects artist when I was young, but never pursued it. My Idol was Douglas Trumbull. It would be interesting to hear more about the films you have worked on. Again, Welcome to the Forum.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 03, 2017 02:36 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WELCOME JASON! [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jason Patnode
Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2017 04:10 PM      Profile for Jason Patnode   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Patnode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Maurice, I'm mainly trying to stick with super 8 for now. I just picked up an Elmo ST-1200 HD off eBay. It needed a few fixes but, it's running strong now.

Burton, I worked at LucasFilm for years. That was right at the start of the prequels so it was pretty much all Star Wars all the time. That included a lot of work on the video games, which was a blast. One early movie I worked on was so bad it had the dubious honor of being turned into a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode.

--------------------
Jason Patnode

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 04, 2017 02:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason
If you are considering collecting full-length features you will be better off using 16mm.

--------------------
Maurice

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2017 07:41 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Jason. [Razz]

--------------------
James Wilson

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2017 09:55 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
welcome Jason [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
kinema king

Jason Patnode
Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2017 04:29 PM      Profile for Jason Patnode   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Patnode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up Maurice. I was looking at some eBay offerings and there seemed to be way more choices on 16. I have an old 16mm projector hiding in my garage. I'll dig it out and see if it can be cleaned up.

--------------------
Jason Patnode

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 05, 2017 02:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason
As you live in the US you will have, and have found, that there are countless offerings of features on 16mm, also many interesting old TV shows.
This was my reason for suggesting using 16mm.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2017 01:12 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Jason,

Though I haven't seen him in a number of years, Mike Nelson of MST3K fame was a friend of a friend. I've played some low stakes poker with him a few times. He's a great guy and though it's not exactly what people strive for, having a film skewered by the MST3K bunch isn't the worst thing.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2017 06:38 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason! Welcome to the forum.

One thing you might be interested in seeing on Super 8 is the Star Wars pod race extract from Episode 1. It was released by Derann but rarely comes up for sale. It is something to look out for.

Jason Patnode
Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2017 06:09 PM      Profile for Jason Patnode   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Patnode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jason. I'll keep an eye out for the pod racing scene.

Tom, your poker story is awesome. And it's good to hear that Nelson was a good person. The movie I worked on was Quest of the Delta Knights. I love that mst3k ribbed it. Still one of my favorite movies to have been involved with.

--------------------
Jason Patnode

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2017 08:46 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bid you..velocome, Jason.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2017 02:44 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2017 09:35 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Jason!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2017 07:33 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, once you dig out that 16mm projector and feed a good quality print through it, you'll be amazed at how great film can look. Then you'll land features and want two projectors for seamless shows. Then you'll be buying adapters and cables and related electronics so you can match all the audio up and play it through your home theater receiver. Then it will be a new screen, and then finally a dedicated closet-turned-booth so you can leave your "toys" set up all the time.

Sound fun? Proceed.

And welcome!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 08, 2017 08:33 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason...and the Argonauts - Hello, I'm Shorty, anything you want to learn in the gauges of Super and Std 8 and original boxes, don't hesitate - Cheers

Jorma Julku
Junior

- posted August 06, 2017 01:10 PM      Profile for Jorma Julku   Email Jorma Julku   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone! I'm a new member from Finland. Yes I was and still am
super 8mm fan and collector. don't know any collectors here in finland but now I think I'm in a good forum!
My dad workmate's son introduced me to super 8 in late 70's. I collected films till about 1988 from Derann and other places.
Greetings from Finland/Scandinavia.

--------------------
Jorma Julku

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2017 02:51 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason, It's true that 16mm has practically everything, but some Super 8 features will be half the cost as 16mm and half the storage space. If you want to know if any movie was released on Super 8 and how good the printing quality, many here can tell you.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Jason!!!

may you find many a friend in celluloid, as well as the always handy dandy help that can be found on here!!! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC