8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dunkirk Imax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dunkirk Imax
Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2017 02:09 PM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and the other half went to see Dunkirk at the local imax cinema and I have to say it was absolutely stunning. The cinematography and sound were amazing. This really is a true cinematic experience that you can not recreate in any other medium. Long live 70mm imax.

|  IP: Logged

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2017 04:20 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great to hear Phillip! Thank you for sharing. I hope to catch a 70mm showing in NYC soon. How did you feel about the story and character depth? I've heard mixed reviews on those aspects.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2017 04:23 PM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it today in glorious 70mm (not imax) at kinepolis Lille (not far from dunkirk). As you wrote it's stunning.
After the presentation i stayed in the booth (operator is a friend) to take some pictures of the print. The good news is that after a week the 70mm presentation is sold out every evening. There are approx 400 seats.Long live 70mm !

Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evan, it's not a film about individual characters, it's about the event itself, at the end both me and my wife had tears When the small boats showed up. There are some shots in this film that will live long in memory, Bruno you are a very lucky man.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2017 10:09 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruno, please post pictures here!!!

Saw this with my family this morning in 15/70 Imax. All of Phillip's comments are spot on. This is not an historical documentary so much as an experience, and if you go to the DunkirkMovie website, or just read up on the war beforehand, it won't give away anything that happens in the plot but may make you better appreciate the scope of it all.

Congratulations to Nolan for doing something uniquely powerful with Imax film that simply can't be recreated any other way. And to Fotokem for masterful lab work.

DON'T MISS THIS!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 28, 2017 04:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this in Imax/70mm. What an incredible, brilliant film.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Rodney Bourke
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 05:51 AM      Profile for Rodney Bourke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 70mm Imax Film Projector has returned to IMAX MELBOURNE thanks to Dunkirk, the Results are amazing, Melbourne Museum Precinct, Rathdowne St, Carlton VIC 3053
Phone:(03) 9663 5454
https://imaxmelbourne.com.au/session_times_and_tickets/?movie=802

also see

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/dunkirk-christopher-nolan-70mm-imax-movie-theater-locations-1201850899/

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2017/dunkirk/index.htm

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 20, 2017 06:50 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found on the link Rodney gave above in Australia the cost od watching Dunkirk in 70mm is between $28-48.

What is in your place?

--------------------
Winbert

Rodney Bourke
Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 08:24 PM      Profile for Rodney Bourke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunkirk 70mm Imax
is still playing in Melbourne
on FILM.

see

https://imaxmelbourne.com.au/session_times_and_tickets/?movie=802

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 09:24 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so NOT fair! [Smile]
In addition to other sci-fi features and 1570 documentaries, they're also playing Nolan's other 1570 masterpiece, "Interstellar," which my family and I have found holds up much better on repeated viewings than "Dunkirk."

Perhaps the only place in the world with such a lineup?

Rodney Bourke
Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2018 12:04 AM      Profile for Rodney Bourke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes Not only Dunkirk Tuesday the 10th April

but Interstellar this Friday,

all in glory-as 70mm IMAX Film

in the land Down Under.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2018 02:17 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a film based on true events. Mixed reviews?? They either have no sense of history or they were watching a different film. A brilliant film, scenes of which were shot in my home town of Weymouth, where some of the rescue boats embarked from.
I have some amateur 16mm footage of the making of The Cruel Sea, also shot in Weymouth harbour. Fortunately the colour has held up and it is in excellent condition still.

Rodney Bourke
Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2018 10:40 AM      Profile for Rodney Bourke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunkirk still Screening in 70mm

in Australia

https://www.palacecinemas.com.au/events/dunkirk-70mm-advanced-screening/

also in 70mm
showing at Sun Theatre

https://www.suntheatre.com.au/

The Hatefull 8
and
Lawrence of Arabia

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC