8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Why Doesn't The Picture Fill The Screen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Doesn't The Picture Fill The Screen?
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2017 12:35 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just got home from Dunkirk. Not literally,of course, but a presentation of what I can now call a magnificent film.

One major gripe, but nothing to do with the film itself.

The film was projected in the same ratio as the shape of the screen.No problem,you would think. BUT..... they insisted on projecting it as a smaller image therefore not only leaving a huge gap on either side of the screen, but also above and below,too. Why,oh why do they let this happen? Has it got anything to do with screen size limits of 4K before image deterioration starts, or is it just laziness?
I would be curious to know.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2017 02:06 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a article about it varying in aspect ratio. One major problem I find the last time I went to the videma was a total lack of professionalism.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 24, 2017 02:53 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Professionalism and presentation are not words in modern cinema technology.

--------------------
Maurice

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2017 04:17 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, Where did you see it? Was it film or digital? The last time I saw anything like that was at a Cinema in Laughlin, U.S.A. All three of us were watching 'The Ring'. We never saw the censors certificate and the picture started on the tiled ceiling!!! They finally got it on the screen when a lady with a bamboo cane appeared to pull curtains to cover the blank screen either side. No-one ever believes me but it actually happened.

--------------------
Dave

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2017 05:12 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave - It was at my local Vue cinema and was digital.

David - What an appropriate word. "Videma." Yes, that's what it is nowadays.My "man cave" is probably more of a cinema than the local "cinema." At least I am using real film even though I can only fit two or three comfortable Ikea reclining chairs in it! AND I make the picture fill the whole screen!..... even though it is only academy ratio most of the time!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2017 12:40 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the 2.2:1 image has been put inside the flat 1.85:1 container so when projected none of the image area is cropped off, most theatres screens would end up having black space on either side of the screen as well as the bottom, I am screening it at my theatre and even though I have zoomed the image out to fill the screen the best I could there is still black space around the image area.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2017 05:03 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, either this is a lack of knowledge of setting up to run the DCP, a lack of concern, or lack of ability to make the equipment fill the width.

Which is why directors should think twice about doing weird ratios for digital projection.

The reverse is possible. I saw one of our last local screens running Jurassic World (odd 2:1 ratio) from 35mm. It was an old cinema with a common height screen (so far so good). But it was released on 35mm as cropped "flat." So this cinema could only fill half its screen! Had it been released as scope with black on either side, or more sensibly, straight scope, then of course the whole screen would've been filled.

However, many digital cinemas are now "common width" so that scope is letterboxed and small, PLUS they use no masking or curtains. I can do that badly at home, thank you, that's just awful!

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2017 09:48 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lack of caring.

In February I went to see THE FOUNDER which was in scope. It shared the screen with another movie that was flat. As a result, the movie I went to see played letterboxed within a 1.85 frame.

Having been scope, it didn't fill the screen until 2 months later when I ran the Blu-Ray at home.

So sad.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2017 10:33 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. Apologies for the late response to this posting. I have been having a very hectic time of recent weeks, including the birth of 2 new grandchildren in the past month involving making 2 more "memory boxes" and family movies to put in them and copies for other family members. There have also been holiday "sleep overs" with trips to the beach to bury me in the sand, and film shows in Grandads cinema. Regarding presentation of films in different aspect ratios, I have always found the presentation in the multiplexes appalling, None of the screens appear to have any masking, or if they have, are not used. However, this is not the case in the little independent "Kavenagh" in Herne Bay. It has 2 screens and the masking is always used and in one screen, behind closed curtains. With the other screen the curtains were removed but the whole screen edges are lit with blue coloured lights so there is never a blank white wall between films. They also now produce their own daysets for trailers and local adverts. Just like the "good old days"!. Ken Finch.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2017 09:23 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me I think there are way too many aspect ratio options available in digital cinema these days and quite often films are not presented correctly due to the limited technical ability of present-day cinema technical staff. Digital presentation has dumbed down cinema technical staff, the majority of who are completely out of her depth... but, or more importantly, cheap to employ!

Deluxe produced a technical paper for the presentation of Dunkirk and no doubt it flew across the heads of many cinema techs!

http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/site/dlxportal/docs/projectionistletter_dunkirk_usa_20170721_170358.pdf

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/dunkirk-imax-theater-comparison/

There are far too many aspect ratio options available to Directors today and I believe many of them adopt non-standard ARs just for the kudos.

Let's be honest, film presentations were not always spot on back in the day, particularly in the later decades, and projectionists back then only had a mere handful of aspect ratios to deal with! So, what chance has a modern 'projectionist' 'button pusher' got of getting the presentation right... and they don't have to change backing plates, lenses, etc!

What a mess modern cinema has become.

Best,
Rick

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2017 02:42 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are dead right there Rick. Amateur movie making is even more of a mess. It seems that there is no standard frame size or format these days. Cameras and recording systems are obsolete as soon as you leave the shop!! No consistency or backwards compatibility. Trying to make a video from shots taken from different cameras, tablets, mobile phones etc. is a complete nightmare. It is rather like trying to make a film from footage from different cine film gauges and colour stocks. Ken Finch.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 03:41 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was at a Widex where they were screening winners of their widescreen amateur film competition. One had obviously been made with the one-off design Cinemascope lens for 8mm which has a 1.75:1 compression ratio to give 2.35:1 on-screen from the 4x3 frame. They tried projecting with both their standard anamorphics (2:1 and 1.5:1 compression) and it looked wrong with both.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC