8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Farewell Glen Campbell ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Farewell Glen Campbell ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2017 12:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family and I pulled out our "Glen Campbells Greatest Hits" album and listened to it this morning. The man had an incredible run of hits thruout the 60's into about the mid 70's, as well as a short livd film career, (most notably as "Le Beouf" in John Wayne's "True Grit"

But his strong suite was his music. He was once part of the Beach boys when on tour in thier early days, (a little known fact) before Glen became famous on his own.

In these last years, Glen had been suffering from Alzheimers (I believe), but did have a nice long life of 81 years.

Goodbye, sweet singer! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 09, 2017 02:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes he had suffered for years from this dreadful disease apparently Osi.

Very sad news this today and I for one, loved his music.
Truly a man with an amazing voice and plenty of natural talent.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 09, 2017 02:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went to his concert here in the town hall back in the 70s. On stage he came across as a very down to earth person, plus a brilliant and talented musician which he was...sad to hear of his passing.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2017 02:47 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought his last album "adios" last week from HMV and it came with his greatest hits as well. Listening to both it was hard to distinguish any real diminishing quality in his voice. I advise you all to get a copy and listen to the lyrics - beautiful - especially the title track.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it was ever released on DVD, but there was an awesome concert that Glen Campbell did with the royal philharmonic in England, many years ago, sometime in the early 80's I believe, and they did together some truly beautiful renditions of his songs, especially the fully orchestrated "Galveston", which was a show-stopper. Just beautiful!!!

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2017 11:17 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was one of the highest paid session musicians and in high demand, hear him on "something stupid " Sinatra, and "I'm a believer" the Monkee's to name but a few, he was a true star of country music, RIP Glen Campbell.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2017 11:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is that very song! I found it on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ROkV4wda4U

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 11, 2017 04:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

I still have the double album of that concert with the Royal Philharmonic "Capitol Records" dated 1977....its very good.
 -
One album I came across lately in a second hand store, was this one from back in 1973 called Glen Cambell...I remember Hank Williams...its very good and well worth searching out
 -
 -

The one thing I remember about seeing him live, was how engaging he was to the audience and spent considerable time between numbers to talk about his life and his music quite different to what you saw on TV at the time..as I mentioned before he came across on stage as a really down to earth person.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 11, 2017 05:17 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Osi, I had forgotten how much I loved Glen's music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6J99mWFqMU

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 16, 2017 03:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always been one of my favorites:

Wichita Lineman

-then again how could I ever not like a song involving troubleshooting!

This song has an interesting back story. Glen Campbell had some studio time lined up and nothing to record. He told the composer he needed something really quick. Unbeknown to him his housemates had painted his piano green the night before and he found himself composing on an instrument that was still tacky and smelled of wet paint. He sat there tuneless and maybe a little overwhelmed by volatile solvents: all he could think of was this lineman he saw out in the middle of nowhere years before and how lonely he looked hanging up there. He was running out of time so he hand carried the draft to the studio and told them he didn't have time to write a third verse, and he didn't think any of it was very good.

The band liked it, Glenn Campbell improvised a bass guitar solo to cover the missing third verse, and everyone went home happy.

-and that's how you create a classic (...sometimes)!

You have to wonder if that unknown lineman got home that night and said to his wife "For some reason I feel like I did something really important today...but I have no idea why!".

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2017 08:06 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of his greatest songs and has a great guitar solo - Wichita Lineman [Smile]
Here's my favourite - Galveston - which also has a great guitar solo (and the video is in stereo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEjjrFzwRlQ
That video seems to have been removed?

Here's the same video but in (faded) colour ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDRXADEJuKo

[ August 18, 2017, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Clinton Hunt ]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2017 09:10 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that Galveston song.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Jorma Julku
Junior

- posted August 17, 2017 09:57 AM      Profile for Jorma Julku   Email Jorma Julku   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know I'm in a good Forum. Appreciate all your memories...

--------------------
Jorma Julku

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC