8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Does anyone know this ebay seller

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone know this ebay seller
David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2017 04:02 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mrentertainment232
from burnley

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 18, 2017 04:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One film for sale is "Murder Most Foul" for which bidding is currently at £97.
This is for a film which seller says "some V/S". [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Maurice

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 06:12 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume V/S = Vinegar Syndrome

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 18, 2017 06:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone would actually buy a film with VS? [Confused]

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 07:06 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like it Tom,I certainly wouldn't buy a print with VS,one for the bin!! Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 18, 2017 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they actually say just VS or vinegar syndrome.

A buyer may not know what the abbreviation actually means.

Agree with Mark, one for the bin, and definately not for selling on at all.

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 18, 2017 10:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said above "some V/S"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-FILM-MURDER-MOST-FOUL-MARGARET-RUTHERFORD-FEATURE-for-vintage-cinema-show-/292212770165?hash=item44093d0575:g:96YAAOSwfVpZjvfb

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 10:23 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Expect to find VS,dirt,scratching,sprocket damage etc,I think all bases have been covered on this one,doesn't say 100% it has all these faults so good luck whoever buys it,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 12:10 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
Why do you ask. Have you had a bad experience?

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 12:59 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no never bought of him but did ask some specific questions about the film this was his reply

New message from: mrentertainment232 (727Purple Star)

hi nosey
I have played about with this type of thing for many years. but am no expert.
as to the film. when I opened the can the v/s was quite strong. but then faded. I put each spool on reel arms / editor. and wound it right from one end to the other, checking for damage. I found.the film to be quite clean in general. but found some sprocket hole damage
in a couple of places. repairable by an expert I would think. I have not attempted to project the film at all. or had it in a machine. reel one needs the leader sorting before any attempt to project the film in my opinion.
I have looked at a few frames throughout each reel and found sharp clear images.
the film is very old and needs some expert TLC
after that it should project ok. as with all old films I recommend a projector with a three claw gate.
hope this helps
I am not a con man or liar
regards

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 01:46 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its up to £97 Would like a copy of the Miss Marple films, but at that price and with the vs mention.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 18, 2017 02:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if someone addressed me as nosey just for askin a question or two id have to say my reply would probably get me kicked off ebay [Big Grin] [Wink]
What is wrong with people?

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 02:26 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was making enquiries for a guy overseas has he is after a print i have all four miss marple films , but would never sell em unless i was offered a good swop

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 18, 2017 03:18 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please, please, let who-ever is bidding on this get a grip and get the DVD !!!! ( Or DVD`s )

Oh Gawd !!!

Best Mark.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/291613351416?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=46481853114&rlsatarget=pla-327226401562&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=9745474&poi=&googleloc=9046697&device= c&campaignid=861899468&crdt=0

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 18, 2017 03:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's a film forum Mark, just for people who happen to just love projecting and handling film.

Why would the bidder of £97 need reminding of how easily a DVD can be found of a favourite film they're seeking or even how little it costs?

I'd never buy a film with VS or sprocket damage of any kind, let alone to the extent only 4 claw projectors can do a job on a collection, but seemingly there are plenty who do still want films like these, hence the £97 bid and 3 different bidders to get it there.

I'm sure they know what they're buying.
The ad after all, makes everything perfectly clear.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2017 03:47 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the seller states vs
reading the add I think it means very suspicious

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 01:21 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one David [Big Grin] . I don't know whether his reply of 'hello nosey' was an attempt at humour but I think he is a seller that I will avoid.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 03:03 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sellers can get very weird when asked specific questions I have found.
A few years back I was banned from future bidding by a member of this very forum, simply because I asked questions and then decided not to bid.

Regarding the vs, the print may still have a few years of viewing left, so the price may well be right for the right person.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 03:41 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve often wondered if there are any health implications, handling or breathing VS. When it hits you it certainly gives you a nasty blast/reaction. I wouldn`t keep it in my house.

The person selling this is trading on Nostalgia and happy memories etc and leading people to hope its better than it is.

It reads to me as if they have a machine they could run it on and talking of 3 claws etc in the message they obviously know a reasonable amount about projection etc.

Some of the things replied !!! to David should be in the actual how it is description.

Film is not lord of all and most of us could probably do with a reality check as to why we actually do it, compulsion and selfishness are definately racing around in there with a few other issues.

Ebay pushes up the price of lots of crap etc, but that doesn`t mean its a good thing.

I`ll happily stand by mentioning DVD as a much better way to watch and enjoy this actual work/film rather than this ebay sale item !!!

Best Mark.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 04:15 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, i agree with you very much. I still cant help buying film, many bargains on ebay and ,as you say, many i laugh at, (like the trailer for £799), i also dont know why we do it sometimes but obviously it is a love of real film and the showmanship of projecting it.
For sheer cost you simply cannot talk DVD/Blu Ray down, today's products are of superb quality.

As for this guys "Hi Nosey" reply to David, as already said, i would have replied with an answer that would probably be just as childish, but i wouldn't let any twat talk to me like that for asking a question, joking or not. You joke with people when you get to know them, not on the first off.
So when i go Blackpool in 2018 you have all been warned !!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] , (yes that is a joke [Wink] )

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 04:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Dvd is perhaps better for you then Mark based on what you say, but clearly the £97 bidder thinks differently.

I doubt he or she lives in some kind of parallel universe and knows nothing of the so called benefits of the siver discs. They have probably had the DVD of this film for years just to fill in the gap in the meantime until the real deal comes along for them.

Anyhow Mark, its you yourself that equally cannot keep away from the bug of the sprockets even by your admission.
So it must get into our blood somehow, even for you, a staunch advocate of the new didital technology and all of its advantages.

Similarly, while i find myself quite frequently splashing out on a film or two, never once do i see it in anyway as any kind of a compulsive or selfish act.
I'd need you to explain that one to me Mark sorry.

I simply buy em because i like them, simple as that.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 05:14 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who knows maybe VS stands for Very Satisfying or only for Very Soft in the head collectors to buy. A simple read of the ad indicates it really is for scrap value. If some fool wants to pay £97.00 for a pile of 💩💩💩💩 slap it into them with a wire brush.

As Tom says it will turn up at Blackpool easy to spot there will be a guy eat Cod and chips off the box 😷😷😷😷wearing a mask

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 07:02 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who knows maybe VS stands for Very Satisfying or only for Very Soft in the head collectors to buy. A simple read of the ad indicates it really is for scrap value. If some fool wants to pay £97.00 for a pile of 💩💩💩💩 slap it into them with a wire brush.

As Tom says it will turn up at Blackpool easy to spot there will be a guy eat Cod and chips off the box 😷😷😷😷wearing a mask

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 02:29 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he might be having mushy peas with his cod and chips that might take the smell of vinegar away

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC