8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Eclipse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Eclipse
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 21, 2017 05:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody see the solar eclipse today? Here in Florida we had about an 85% extinction, which noticeably dimmed the light, and it got about 10 degrees cooler for a few minutes. I was able to view the eclipse through the special glasses and it was an awesome sight. Makes you feel small and insignificant. Plus my bowling game was way off today, which I blame on the eclipse! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 05:36 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had exactly 71.8 % coverage, according to stellarium which i had running all eclipse set for hamilton, ontario.

It was neat. My wife took the aft off and the kids are still home with me for the summer and we made the pinhole and such.

Actually, to our surprise, the best multiple eclipses we saw was from the pinholes in our sunshade which caused a ton of eclipse images on the ground. I took a video of it.
The temp dropped a bit...the birds were slightly chirping but no flight whatsoever, which was bizarre.

I wish i was in the totality zone in hindsight [Smile]

Here is a pic we took today of the eclipse through binoculars reversed.
 -

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 21, 2017 05:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a National Physics Lab, they actually moved some meetings around so we could go outside to take a look!

There was this talk that you could get a picture with a cellphone by putting it in selfie mode and aligning the sun on screen.

-Doesn't work!

(-At least my phone still does!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 08:15 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My son and I watched through welding masks...it was really cool. We are in Canton Ohio and it was about 80-90% covered. It got dim outside but still plenty of hard shadows on the ground. I took a few comparison photos. I'll post them after I resize them.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 22, 2017 11:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a rip off (glad I didn't pay for it! [Smile] ), as we were at 95 point something for the Eclipse, so it didn't get pitch dark (nice and chilly for about 15 or so minutes though.

My vote for the most over-hyped event of the year.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2017 09:51 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I was the eclipse only reached about 93% totality. I used a Chinon SLR with a 500mm mirror lens, a 2X multiplier and a solar filter. I shot it on Ferrania P30 Alpha film and developed it in 1:50 Rodinal.

-

-

-

-

This is a GIF I made:
Eclipse GIF

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC