8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ebay Recommendation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay Recommendation
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 24, 2017 02:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure we all know about some eBay sellers of films and equipment who seldom really know what they are selling. For a start, their Buy It Now prices are absurd, but the real problem is that a buyer doesn't know the condition of an item.

Take for instance, projectors. Comments like:- "Can't check as no mains lead", or similar:- "Can't check as no film", and then nearly always:- "Sold as seen. No return". Projectors such as the early 16mm sound models seldom refer to a transformer or loud-speaker.

So, it is my pleasure to recommend a fairly new seller on British eBay, "cinema_paradiso" who joined two years ago in August 2015. He says:- "I have been interested in the world of film making for 45+ years. I am familiar with Std-8, Super-8 and 16mm equipment and service and repair many machines. I am now a dedicated 16mm film collector with a wish to keep the film hobby alive."

I have just bought from him a 16mm Elf RT-0 to which he had carried out the following work before sale:-

Drive belts replaced
Two new lamps fitted
Gears lubricated
Scanning head realigned
Amplifier pots cleaned
Clutch adjusted
Take-up hub replaced
Auto-thread mechanism adjusted

In an email to me he said:- "I have a workshop full of machines that I intend to list over the coming months, and also a huge stock of spare parts, particularly for the Elf machines. Therefore, you may rest assured that should a fault develop, I will have a part for it. It's amazing to think that these machines can still run so well after such a long time".

His prices are not cheap, but I would say that you get what you pay for. My Elf looks and sound like a new projector.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_ssn=cinema_paradiso&_sop=10

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 02:53 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes you are right re ebay. I to sell projectors which are fully serviced with new belts and lamp which will you many years of trouble free running I have over 50 in stock some are still in their original boxes .

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 03:56 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've seen cinema paradiso's posts, interesting items. Incidentally, there's no such thing as 'no return' on eBay, even though it's a seller stated option. The seller has to accept returns if the buyer isn't happy, or buyer is protected by a money back guarantee.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 24, 2017 04:08 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear Maurice and good advice there also from Martin.

The only issue with that policy on ebay, is it also leaves these things open to abuse from none too scrupulous buyers of which there can equally be plenty of out there.

How can any of us, hard on heart, guarantee a buyer's happiness with used goods many of which are 30 years old or even older when just about everything regarding this hobby is completely subjective?

I personally think that this aspect of ebay ruling is nonsensical for anything other than brand new items.
However, I also think for items such as records and films or even the hardware for these items for example, a full detailed and accurate description should be insisted upon for any sales and should be binding for both seller and buyer.
All goods should be also tested in advance to guarantee they are in the exact condition as advertised with no uncertainty either way at the time of dispatch.

Some examples of unscrupulous buyer activities include swapping reels over as well as using this as a film rental service, not to mention damage that wasn't there when shipped but now sadly, very much is!

As a seller, how on earth do you safeguard yourself against any of this?

All in all, if deception is intended either way, it can be a jungle out there and I am only pleased Maurice has found a fairly new seller on ebay UK who is very sincere and completely genuine.

I think a list of all those proven to be of a similar ilk, should be drafted up here so people can reference it in advance.
The odd bad buy makes no one a villain if it all gets sorted out amicably, but repeated and continual deception either way needs highlighting imo.

[ August 24, 2017, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 07:51 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for the review Maurice.

I think it is very helpful to know who others have dealt with and had success with as well.

I also believe it is equally as important to list good 'buyers' as they are almost always overlooked. [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 12:50 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to all those who bought 16mm projecters when deran was trading they were probably mine has I sold Derek over 100 elfs all different models which he sold on to film collecters as I purchased over 300 when elf packed up I still have some brand new ones in original boxes complete with keys etc I also supplied elf and motor belt to him and still supply classic home cinema

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 01:09 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi David. all the ELF projectors i have bought from you over the years have all been superb. never a problem with any.even an older STM model which i purchased from you about 7 years ago still runs perfectly.just had to change of a couple of belts, and lamps of course.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 02:04 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that - Mr Guest is responsible for getting me into 16mm with a Bell and Howell TQ1 and some very reasonably priced films - long may he continue and i'm looking forward to buying some more features at the Blackpool Convention.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 24, 2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done David, clearly you've been instrumental in supplying many dealers and collectors alike with some great machines and 16mm films. [Smile]

Derann were definitely the guys back in the day to get anything and everything to do with Super 8mm from, but ironically I never ever purchased a projector from them.
I sold a few to them when selling up, but never ever bought one from them.
I was always looking on their used lists back then for a GS 1200 which were never any less than £795 on their lists even all those years ago, but as quick as they came in, they were each sold in a heartbeat.
You would telephone them as soon as the list hit the doormat but they were always gone. Pretty much the same story with most of their quality titled used films too.

--------------------

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 03:45 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fao of Maurice how was the stunning colour feature I sold you a couple of weeks ago never heard anything mentioned that you bought a film from uk number seller

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 24, 2017 03:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two things here,
David, if everything goes to plan and we come up to Blackpool in 2018, we will be looking at a good Elf purchase, not going over the top but will be in touch with you before hand.

Funny you should mention the no returns policy, i usually have this selected without even thinking about it, i once sold reel two of Master & Commander to a German bidder who thought he was a smart alec. He won the bid, cant remember how much it was, but he bid the price. When he received it it obviously didn't have the action part of the film he thought it had. ( Thats reel 5 which we have). so he sent me a mail stating the sound was faulty which was bollocks, we had it for a few years and it had perfect stereo sound & he said it wasn't worth what he paid. Well, thats an auction, you bid you pay. When i told him he made a decision to bid up he was dumb enough to put in an email that he would simply tell ebay the film is rubbish and faulty and i will forced to refund all of his money. Well, i simply contacted them with live chat and copied and pasted what he said so they told him where to go in the end. I banned him as a bidder on anything else i sold. Morons [Wink]

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 04:13 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found David's projectors to be the best. Unlike some dealers who say machines have been serviced when this hasn't been the case! David's machines always have been serviced to a high standard.

Tom- I doubt David will have any machines left by 2018, as they will probably all be sold after this post. I'm sure you will miss out by not going to Blackpool as will the guy who couldn't go last year as he was busy having a hair cut!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 24, 2017 04:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Precisely what I was taking about this morning Tom.
Well done for standing your ground and not allowing a rogue buyer to have you over. [Wink]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 24, 2017 04:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
would love to go this year but we had aleady booked a florida holiday so this year is not possible, unless our lotto numbers come up. [Wink]

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 04:34 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one point to raise here about servicing. There are those who think servicing is covering every surface with oil (probably the dreaded spray oil) and making needless adjustments that they know nothing about. They actually make a machine worse. Mr Guest clearly knows his stuff from years of experience, but there are others who "think" they know. One example would be cleaning grease off a conponent, when it is actually needed there! Just ask someone like Bill Parsons and he will tell you horror stories of people making things far worse, thinking they were doing good. I was fortunate enough to have training from a B & H engineer, but even then I do not know how to sort out every problem.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 05:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No one ever does Simon without the help of others at times.
Even your legendary Mr Parsons fully accepts and will admit this.

As a collective, then most aspects of projector repairs can be resolved given the correct and decent necessary spare parts.

As the saying goes in work " A fool with a tool, is still a fool"

Therefore you do of course, have to have some idea of what you're doing to attempt even some of the most simplistic of jobs.

[ August 25, 2017, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 07:36 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a bit previous to recommend a seller after one purchase that went well.
This seller is not 'new' but has been trading under a slightly changed id probably because he had accumulated too many negative feedback under his original name.
If you try to ask a question of any of his listings you get a message from eBay saying that the seller is unable to answer. That does not inspire confidence and you have to wonder why.
Some years ago I asked a question about a listing and got that same answer from eBay. I persued it in a different way and got short shrift from the guy and was consequently barred from bidding on his listings. A genuine and sincere seller would not act in this manner.
Maurice - you may have been lucky on this occasion, but a bit too soon to sing his praises in my book. In any case although he claims to have done all this work how do you know that he has performed it. He may have obtained the projector in perfect working order and just claimed the credit for it. There are projectors out there that have had little or no use and there are sellers that would happily claim that they have made all these adjustments and replacements to justify the price.
It would be naive to think otherwise.

[ August 25, 2017, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Terry Sills ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC