8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cinema Anniversary Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinema Anniversary Video
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 21, 2017 01:58 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put this short video together last week, from earlier video that I had taken in the past. As last week was hitting the six year mark since the place closed, and how quickly soon after closing film projection itself would disappear.

https://vimeo.com/242964641

|  IP: Logged

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2017 04:39 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fascinating item Graham. Did the cinema close because of the
cost of introducing digital projection or falling audiences? A life of twenty years is so short. A way of life truly 'Gone with the Wind'

--------------------
Dave

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 22, 2017 01:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave

I dont think the mall owners, who also at that point owned the cinema were ever really interested in the place and with plans to expand the mall, the cinema was simply in the way.

I dont think the cost of digital conversion had a lot to do with its closing, although those costs had been discussed at the time. As for as being profitable, we were doing very well money wise. The school holidays were always sold out and extra staff employed for those periods. Outside the holidays it was the private screenings etc and weekend kids films that did very well.

For the last five years, as well as the projection. I did the weekly schedule and along with the manager, was involved in booking the up and coming releases months ahead. We got a regular print out from the distributors eg Fox, Disney, Roadshow, Paramount etc so we had direct contact with them all.

The manager and myself would look at the trailers on the net, and discuss what we wanted to get and planned ahead. That was a huge plus in getting what we wanted, compared to the big chains.

I got a very reluctant mall manager to start the Bauer U4 for the last time and we all sat and watched "Titanic" on it.

It was time for all of us to move on, but it saying that I recounted the support of the local people and cant think of any real problems over that 10 year period that I was there, the local community were very good.

I do remember there was a certain reluctance by the owners to close the place at the time, but an agreement to build a large store one of the biggest in this city, meant the cinema building was in the way and had to be pulled down. Many locals were hoping another cinema would be built in the area but I used to tell them that would be very unlikely.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those last shots are just really sad.

Glad you got to keep some of the goodies, though!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 22, 2017 08:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill..

Went across town today to that mall, to catch up with another projectionist that also worked there. I have only been out that way a couple of times over the last 6 years and today looked at the changes to the place. Funny thing I went to the "help desk" and asked the lady, what time does the cinema open [Big Grin] That person remembered me from the past, and told me they still get folk asking about the cinema [Smile]

Went for a coffee and thought the young girl serving looked familiar [Roll Eyes] she looked at me and asked with a smile, how is Muffin Break in town [Smile] ah! she used to work there I remembered when I used to call in after doing the school run a few years back...its certainly a small world. Anyway the chap I met had a 35mm feature for me, and as we walked through the mall with the film I said, its been a long time since film came through this place.

Strange as it seems, the place looked a lot quieter even with all those new stores than when the cinema was part of it.

You wont see this again...our last school holidays and the strips of 24 frames of old film "G" rated trls, the girls cut to give away. Those charming young ladies, each recieved a decent size photo, taken from my old Canon FTB camera.
 -

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 10:16 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, were you tempted to look for another cinema job? Not as projectionist of course, but manager perhaps?

--------------------
Dave

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 23, 2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave

No never tempted, it really was time to move on and do something totally different, thankfully I managed that by driving for a bus company and that took me to age 65 and retirement [Cool] [Smile]

I have always felt its a mistake to stay in any one job for to long, as you can become stale and sometimes become narrow mided, fixed in your ideas..I should add...thats not me [Smile]

However it was good while it lasted [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC