8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Fascinating Eastman House film on early photography

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fascinating Eastman House film on early photography
Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2017 08:01 AM      Profile for Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Email Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My archive just started with collecting small gauge film this year. Here is a fascinating 16mm film on Eastman House I just had digitized. Covers early photography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy5bTWqSd3k&feature=youtu.be

Although I'm an old school film photog, I don't know much about movie film work - am learning on the job. Opened a YouTube account at 10 minutes to midnight last night and put it up. Most of my film archive are probably not allowed on YouTube, so will put them up on the Internet Archive.

Although old small reel silent films are not that expensive to work with (generally speaking) They add up if you have many hundred films to do. This one is one of my more expensive film purchases at about $90 for a 5 inch reel. The 2K digitizing with associated DVD's and files requested was about $175. So total spent on the project was about $265.

Some of my films only cost $2 or $3, so the cost of acquisition is negligible. The main cost is in digitizing, which I hope to do in the future myself if it is a silent film. The old acetate based films from the 20's - 60's are slowly succumbing to vinegar syndrome. Not much time to get them archived before they are destroyed. Polyester replaced the acetate, so modern films are pretty stable.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Dan

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC