8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projector Whirring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector Whirring
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some folks like the smell of thermofilm in the morning.

I simply like to hear
the whirring and clicking of any film projector in action while watching a film.

For me its all a necessary part of the aesthetic experience of watching a film at home or even in a small hall.

For others its their idea of hell. My son hates it.

How about you ?

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 01:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with your son [Smile] ..even my years working in the projection room I was always glad to get away from the noise, that's why I built a projection box at home, so I can enjoy watching and more importantly listen to the soundtrack, without being distracted with projector noise [Smile]

[ December 04, 2017, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 01:39 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 1200HD is a very quite machine, i remember when Bill last had it a few years ago, even he said, its one of the quietest 1200s he had ever heard. But i do sit slightly forward but next to it when i project, i dont have a separate booth nor would i want one, my audience is way forward from it so after a minute or two they tend to block the projector noise out.
A tip that Bill gave me when using a proper two tier projector stand was to place a good firm rectangular piece of sponge under the front foot,
You would not believe how much droning of the shelf and stand this cuts out. Try it if you have never done this before [Wink]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 07:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite agree about the mechanical noise, it's part of the joy of projecting, also, there is that slightly oily smell.

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 08:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look back at some of the Armchair Odeon videos, you dont always have to build a seperate projection room. Some in those videos had very limited space, but with a little bit of imagination still managed to build for themselves, a small custom made box for the projector within there lounge area, to not only house the projector, amp, etc like a GS1200 and still manage to reduce the noise.

Only projector noise I dont mind is from the Panasonic Video Projector... in its eco-mode... [Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 05, 2017 01:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2017 05:24 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham as an ex cinema projectionist I fully agree with what you say regarding the projector and other noises in the projection box ( booth ).

However I twice built a projection box complete in every way with projection and film viewing portholes. A dream come true at home . It was great for a while I have to admit but the projectionist in me just would not allow me to relax for fear of something going wrong and un-noticed. I was constantly getting off my seat to check the projector and film path onto the spool.

I was faced with some choices risk an unmanned projector and the possibility of film or equipment damage or sit in the audience but unable to relax and watch the film in peace of mind.

So I chose to do away with the projection box and sit by my machine and keep an eye on things with greater peace of mind in
the knowledge I was right there on the spot should something go wrong.

That's one reason I hated those bloody twin and triples and multiplex film cinemas I worked in. An unmanned projection area for me and some others in the trade was nothing more the a leap of faith and also a leap in the dark and at time a sheer bloody stupid idea.

I could relate some personal experience horror stories about Multiplex working.

Tom ... Yes I knew that tip about the sponge. Another trick is to line your projector stand or shelf with those car bitumen sound deadening sheets. Really works a treat at cutting down machine resonances. You can even line inside your projector body with these.

Maurice ... Yes those lovely projector smells all add to the joy of film projection in the home besides the projector noise.

[Wink]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 06, 2017 11:47 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice and David

Do you have any photos you would like to share here on the forum of the cimema that you worked at?... your days in the projection box running 35mm projectors ?....it would be interesing [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 06, 2017 01:57 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the projectors I started working with at age 17 in 1952. The BTH Supa (Single Unit Projection Assembly).
This is not where I worked at the Odeon, Bristol, actual pic shown here was taken at the Odeon Worcester.
But the box layout was very similar.
Either side of the two projectors are probably a slide lantern and a follow spot.
I couldn't wait to get to work each day !
http://www.mawgrim.co.uk/cavalcade/worcester14.jpg

--------------------
Maurice

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 03:26 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham I have worked in many cinemas over the time of my career in the industry.

I will gladly post some photos once I can figure out how to do so on this forum. [Smile]

Maurice... I like those photos of the BTH projectors.
I see from your starting date in the business you pre date my starting date by a large margin you truly are a traditional old timer
and it was from projectionists such as yourself and older that
I learned the skills and craft of my trade from.

I can relate to what you say about could not wait to get to work each day. It was more a paid hobby than a job for me and I have worked alongside great teams of projectionists who all loved coming to work. Happy memories but its a shame about the low wages for some of us. We lost a lot of good projectionists because of this.

Were you ever a member of N.A.T.T.K.E. the projectionists union ?

[Smile]

--------------------

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 04:49 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too was a projectionist way back, and a member of NATKE. I didn't particularly enjoy the projector sounds at work, but I have always loved the whirring of the projector in hall or home shows.
However, 'whirring' is one thing, and 'clattering' is another. I have a B&H TQ3, which comes about half way in the sound stakes I suppose. It handles any condition film beautifully, but I would prefer the sound of the Elmo CL16mm series which appear to run very smoothly judging by utube viewings.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 07, 2017 05:07 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan
A TQIII in good condition should only "purr". If yours isn't, its worm is probably beginning to crack.

--------------------
Maurice

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 05:42 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worm was recently checked and passed ok by Kevin Brown during routine maintenance. Just one of those things I suppose, some prints run quieter than others.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 01:38 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham here is a photo of the actual Capitol Cinema projectors I learned my skills on. WESTAR CENTURY with 4 Track Magnetic Stereo Soundheads just under top film feed spoolbox and PEERLESS CARBON ARCS for light. You can see the slide lantern projector in the background.  - [/IMG]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 07, 2017 01:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice and David

Its always interesting to see what others do [Cool] we used to have a retired projectionist call into the cinema every so often armed with biscuits. The girls downstairs would call me, and say "Bob" has arrived. [Big Grin] ...He was a brilliant guy to talk to and full of stories. He had been a projectionist for 50 years in most of the city cinemas and although we went through many managers and owners he was always welcome here, by all the staff including the young ones.

Sadly he died a few years ago, and when I went to his funeral everyone recieved a ticket at the door saying....ADMIT ONE...the place never seemed quite the same after his passing.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 02:12 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are most welcome Graham.
I will see if I can download other photos on a separate thread sometime for you and others.

This one took me ages to download as I had to resize the image as it was to large.

Is there an easier quicker way to do this as I had to type in the whole http:// url to do so.

We used to get many interesting people come in by for a chat at all the cinemas I worked in. Many retired projectionists.

One I knew very well helped install the first talking pictures in Aberdeen Scotland.

Another one was an old man who was a former projectionist who went back to the days of Silent Films.

They are both sadly long gone now but I felt honoured to have known such pioneer projectionists as them. They had many stories to tell and I listened to them like a small child being read a fairytale from an adult. Great men both of them [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 07, 2017 02:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

You dont need to type anything...just left click and hold it there then sweep over the numbers with your mouse after the photo has been accepted. Then right click copy, then return to your posting left click where you want it.. vertical line flashing..then paste...something like that...once you get the hang of its easy..sort of [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 02:29 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham Thanks that is precisely what I forgot to do. hahahaha !

I will do that next time.

I really don't get along to well with computers but give me a film projector and ... well that's another story. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC