8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Stereo Sound on films. You can keep it i dont need it ! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stereo Sound on films. You can keep it i dont need it !
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2017 06:44 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have very naughty trick I play sometimes to get my point across regarding stereo sound.

One of my Quad Hi Fi systems is comprised of a pair of Quad Electrostatic loudspeakers and a Quad 33 Pre-amp / Quad 303 Power amplifier.

I invite friends or guests to listen to some of my stereo recordings on it via Vinyl / CD / Reel to Reel tapes or Music Cassettes.

They always marvel at how great and transparent and natural the sound is when compared to conventional moving coil or horn loudspeakers. They mention how wide and deep the stereo sounded and it was almost as if they were at a live event.

I then with a grin on my face point to my Quad 33 Pre amp control button settings.

You should see their faces when they realize that I have pressed in the two buttons for Mono sound via left and right channels.

What they had been listening all along was a STEREO fold down to a MONO source and they couldn't even hear it... I rest my case ! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2017 07:46 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What case?

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2017 12:57 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob explained it sooooo well and precisely...

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2017 10:59 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, your friends are either very undiscerning or very polite...

'Stereo' means three dimensional or solid. It doesn't mean two-channel. Fox 4 channel magnetic sound in the cinema or quadrophonic stereo illustrate this.

In fact a healthy two-eared person is always listening in stereo even when they are listening to a mono recording. If the doorbell goes or the phone rings you will hear exactly where it is, even behind yourself. So the opposite of what you say is true.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 16, 2017 11:56 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Human beings and animals all have two ears for a reason - so they can determine the direction of sound. Just as two eyes give us visual depth, two ears give acoustic depth.
Every stereo re-record that I have done on super 8 has resulted in a far more impactive film viewing than the original mono film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2017 12:40 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As may have been said equipment and room are important. Remember that Stanley Kubrick had mixed "A Clockwork Orange" in Stereo (I assume 4 track magnetic) but wouldn't have it released as such. This was due to, in pre-Dolby days (when there was nothing like the 27 band equalization on each channel that Dolby brought) he thought it would be ruined by the individual cinema set ups.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2017 10:55 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well guys it seems no matter what I say you will choose to ignore the scientific facts about stereo only existing inside our perceptions and not in nature.

Steve what you are referring to is not stereo but binaural hearing. Not the same thing.

I was going to post some research papers and findings but I will not bother now.

I will say no more on this subject and leave you all to your "stereo illusions".

This matter is now closed to me. [Smile] [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 17, 2017 01:13 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, lets get down to real basics, this is me,
Got my own room,
Picture one, two wharfdale speakers 8ohm 100w,
Pic two, Old pioneer stereo amp,
Elmo ST1200HD, through the aux out into the amp, very decent speaker wire going off to the two speakers which when the room isn't a pig sty, (i am currently pulling it to pieces), give out twin, but perfect mono sound. That'l do for me chiefs. [Wink]
 -
 -

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2017 05:22 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David...movies are an illusion. Stereo sound enhances the experience. Not sure why you are trying to convince everyone it's fake or not to like it. If you don't like it then don't use it.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2017 05:23 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
double post....sorry

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 18, 2017 01:15 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good Tom [Cool]

For Super8 or 16mm I have found that just a couple of single 8ohm speakers is about as good as I can get it, either L/R mono or L/R stereo depending what I screening and as such, selected on a audio four input, one out switch. However as Mark and Paul have re-recorded there films to a much higher standard. I can imagine they would be getting excellent stereo reproduction as a result.

I do like the idea of sound moving with what you are watching on the screen. An example of this, was when I was setting up my amp at home and to hear the results I ran the ""Battle of Britain" DVD. There was a scene, where a Spitfire was going from left to right across the Scope screen, what I did hear at the same time, was sound of the merlin engine going across from my LS..to...L...R...RS speakers. It sounded great.

Sound is a very important part of going to the cinema. One example was when I went to watch "Letters from Iwo Jima" at a cinema in town. It looked good and the sound was OK but it lacked impact. After a few months I managed to get a print and what a difference running it through our sound system, when those battleships opened up.. BOOM.. you could feel it...and so on.

Its not to say that the sound level was to high its not. The amplifiers were of good quality and with heaps in reserve connected to a good speaker system. The amps were simply just ticking over...hence the quality of the sound.

If you are thinking of getting a home theatre amp, buy one thats got heaps of power which of course is more expensive to buy, but you will find it will give you excellent results, without any distortion and simply because you are not pushing it hard.

When the cinema closed I did have the chance to buy the complete Cinema 2 amps in there rack for less than a single cheap home theatre amp....it was a mistake not to to grab them, although it might have been a wee bit over the top having them at home [Roll Eyes] [Smile]
 -

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2017 02:50 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
Yes I get great stereo reproduction on the films I record,you get so much more out of the tracks. If anyone has the Elmo stereo test film then that's a nice example of good stereo sound straight out the box,the Spitfire scene you mention is very similar to the go carts on the test film,with DVD sound rerecorded onto film you do get some fantastic results,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2017 01:51 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill ... I know movies are an illusion. I also know Stereo sound is a bigger illusion than Mono sound.

However given a choice and as I am a greater fan of Silent Movies than Talkies , Stereo sound does absolutely nothing to enhance my viewing experience.

In the same way as in a purely audio sense Stereo sound does nothing to enhance my appreciation of a classical piece of music any more than a well recorded Mono version does.

Its the performance that counts.

So for me the movie is primary the sound secondary. [Wink]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2017 02:09 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy both mono and stereo sound on movies as well as lp's. A good mix in either mono or stereo can sound great. I also enjoy silent movies as well....I like stories told by the camera.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2017 03:30 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, Mono or stereo, if the sound breaks the illusion of the film it is bad for you.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 21, 2017 04:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding sound to "enhance" your viewing experence, well you cant beat this folks [Big Grin]

https://youtu.be/U1fu_sA7XhE

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2017 05:21 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one I've done Graham,stereo trailer and my 2x400,sounds awesome,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2017 06:58 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you want good Stereo or Mono sound if you have the room for it go 35mm and you'll never look back.

I now find myself not running Super 8 or 16mm for that matter anymore. I think it's down to how inferior the quality is on both gauges compared to Blu-Ray or HD for that matter.

As you know some Super 8 prints can be printed soft along with neg marks etc. Unless you're working from the original negative, from memory the only prints stand out are the Disney's of this world. But do remember these are animated features so the quality is limited in what you'd expect from a cartoon in any format for that matter.

With 16mm, you have mono sound, cropped image, pan and scan, TV prints, faded prints and library prints which are a lot to be desired for unless it's the only print you can find of that title.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC