8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dunkirk 1958 dvd

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dunkirk 1958 dvd
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 14, 2017 05:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the new film due out on disc in a few weeks "never watched it as yet" I came across the 1958 remastered dvd version yesterday.

What a great film, a huge production made by Ealing Studios. The quality of the restoration is excellent, as with the many extras, including coloured home movies taken by John Mills.

I have never watched the 1958 Dunkirk before, so last night was the first time. The large scale of things on the beach was really amazing. I would certainly recommend the dvd or better still getting the blu-ray.
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2017 09:39 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did exactly the same, saw the new version and then watched the Ealing one in my home cinema. My copy is on VHS but still looked good through my Epson. It is very cleverly edited using newsreel footage of the actual event in a number of scenes. No CGI in those days either. The new version was very good but there were insufficient men or boats. Also the beach was too clean and smooth with hardly any vehicles or tracks. Very watchable non the less but the earlier version I thought was more authentic. Ken Finch.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2017 10:32 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought much of the new version when I went I saw it in a Digima site this year.

I prefer the original 1958 one. [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2017 10:10 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunkirk (1958 version) is being shown on ITV4 at 3.50p.m. on Christmas Eve, so now we can all see what Graham is praising. And it's repeated on Christmas Day at 6.15p.m.

--------------------
Dave

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 16, 2017 10:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember "The Cruel Sea" 1953...well I am pretty sure, that one of the ships sinking in "Dunkirk", has been taken from the scene where the "Compass Rose" is in her final moments. I was surprised to see this on "Dunkirk"....I could be wrong.. but it does look like it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC