8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A good year for purchases for us in 2018 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A good year for purchases for us in 2018
Neil Massey
Junior

- posted December 31, 2017 07:24 AM      Profile for Neil Massey   Email Neil Massey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Robert, I'm in my second year and am up to 18 features - still a novice. Oliver! is great, although the only problem is that someone has cut the first musical number straight after the titles, so I'm missing about three minutes. Otherwise the film is complete, it looks - and sounds - great. I had forgotten some others added during the year:
The Best things in Life are Free - scope
The Riddle of the Sands - Fuji scope.
These two were bargains from David Guest, the latter is in its Filmbank/Rank hire box.
Paint Your Wagon (IB Tech) scope.
I can see space is going to become an issue in 2018..

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2017 07:48 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have done well to get such high profile titles with good colour in such a short time.

Another couple of titles I bought were:
Kelly and Me, a very nice print from David Guest, starring van Johnson; a very nice film for dog lovers.
Son of Robin Hood in Scope.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 01, 2018 04:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neil, you did do well there, ib tech and scope, some excellent titles there. [Wink]

Neil Massey
Junior

- posted January 02, 2018 01:50 PM      Profile for Neil Massey   Email Neil Massey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom. Must say that your print of Witness looks a stunner. I remember going to see that when it came out. It's one of those films with repeatability.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2018 04:04 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this year I finally found an English soundtrack print of "The Sting" part 2 of the 2x400ft release. I also gained on Super 8
I married a Woman 4x400ft B&W scope
Hounds Of Zarrof 4x400ft
The Island part 2 of 2x400ft
Singin' in the Rain 2x400ft
That'll be the Day part 1 of 4x400ft (to go with my 400ft extract that doesn't include any of this)
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry 400ft
The Great Escape extract 2 scope
Scope travelogues, Honeymoon Paradise & Stairways to the Andes
A reel of 7 James Bond trailers
The musical shorts "Bob Crosby & his Orchestra" 1938 & "Sounda of a City" 1960's pop Look at Life

And on 16mm the feature The Truth About Spring (John & Hayley Mills)

Yes, a very good year for me too.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 02, 2018 04:54 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All great stuff, lets hope we can all continue to add in 2018. [Wink]

[ December 26, 2018, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2018 05:07 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian, I wonder if your Bob Crosby film is different from mine; mine was released by Wing Films and distributed by DCR of the Isle of Wight; the release year was given as 1931. I think it included 'South Rampart Street Parade'.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2018 03:28 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be a different Bob Cosby film. Mine is a Dilm Archive Productions (Vintage Film series no 301 1938) distributed by BMM Film Services, Buckingham.

I bought it from Ian of Perrys Films at the revived Big Screen Scene in October.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 29, 2018 02:29 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2018 has been a reasonable year of additions for us, we sold a few off that we acquired last year along with some others to gain funds for new titles, however, here are our 2018 additions to our collection,

Die Hard feature, (at last)
A Disney xmas to replace our fading copy
Pathe news 1956
George Formby Souvenir
Murderers Row 400ft col
Abba the movie trailer
10 trailer scope
Goldeneye Promo (Tina Turner)
Innerspace trailer
Silence of the Lambs feature. (at last)
Toy Tinkers 200ft colour sound
Speedy Gonzales, Here today gone Tamale,
The Young Ones, 200ft colour sound,
Thats Entertainment reel 8,

On 16mm
Jagged Edge
High Plains Drifter, Scope
Madigan 800ft version
Mash Episode (Aid Station) excellent colour
The Professionals (The Rack, excellent colour)
No Way out LPP
Robin Prince of Thieves
Minder Bury my half in Waltham green
Bilko episode, Grand Hotel,
Combat episode, Reunion,
Mississippi Burning LPP

We did also sell off a fair few small items and one or two old features in 2018 and will continue to do so in 2019 to reduce number.

Another excellent purchase for me in 2018 was my Eiki SLT2 super slot loader and a Kodak 19mm lens from Kevin Clarke.

Now looking out to make a January purchase, 8 or 16mm [Wink]

Happy New year to all.

[ January 03, 2019, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2019 04:27 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here are some of my 16mm feature purchases in 2018.

GREEN FOR DANGER. 1946
LET GEORGE DO IT.1940. (formby)
TURNED OUT NICE AGAIN.1941 (formby)
A TASTE OF HONEY. 1961
GREAT EXPECTATIONS 1946
A KIND OF LOVING. 1962
SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING. 1960
ANGEL WHO PAWNED HER HARP. 1954
BLACK SHEEP OF WHITEHALL. 1941.(will hay)
A HOME OF YOUR OWN.1965.
HINDLE WAKES 1952
TOP HAT. 1935.
LIFE AT THE TOP. 1965.
THE LOVE MATCH. 1955. (arthur askey)
A TOUCH OF THE SUN. 1956. (frankie howard)
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT. 1930
SHOP AT SLY CORNER.1946.

as you can see im a lover of B/W films

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2019 01:07 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On super 8 sound
TRUE LIES all 3 parts
CAPTAIN AMERICA
THE COLDITZ STORY
a better quality print of RAISE THE TITANIC scope digest
CAPRICORN ONE scope digest
QUO VADIS digest

On 16mm
BATMAN THE MOVIE
BACK FROM ETERNITY

On 35mm
INVASION USA
THE DELTA FORCE
SUPERMAN IV THE QUEST FOR PEACE
UNDER SIEGE 2

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 07, 2019 07:28 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Batman the movie, is that the 1966 Adam West film?
Under Siege 2, good action movie. I'd like either of the two under siege films. [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2019 08:45 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With moving house in late 2017 and putting together a new screening room, I only bought one super 8 film in 2018, but what a gem it is.

Ian O'Reilly advertised it here, "Bulldog Jack", a 30's crime caper with Fay Fray. 3 x 400ft and at a very decent price, I took a punt, not knowing anything about it.

After a bit of google, it is a Bulldog Jack off-shoot, edited from the feature, although just where and how you couldn't guess.

It is intentionally hilarious, the sort of film that has been overlooked, but hugely entertaining. I looked to see if a digital version exists, but apparently only a Spanish version with average picture and very poor sound, so another reason to have the very watchable super 8 version.

It was shown several times over Christmas with lots of laughs, and a bargain from the ever reliable Ian.

Just brilliant - long live real film!

[Smile]

PS. It came on one full 1200ft spool with "J. Bird" written in black marker around the edge, so I wonder if this once belonged to the great John Bird of super 8 heritage here in the UK?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 07, 2019 01:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, ive not heard of that one but it sounds like a good one. [Wink]

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2019 02:29 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bought 16mm only:

GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD
MARK OF ZORRO
FUNNY GIRL

TOT WATCHERS(Tom and Jerry cartoon)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC