8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Das Boot Blu-Ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Das Boot Blu-Ray
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2017 02:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I got an Epson VP last year, getting DVDs and Blu-Rays was a lot bigger deal this Christmas. One of those I got this year was Das Boot.

It happened kind of by accident. I became interested because of this video we enjoy here:

Das Booth

-and I've enjoyed a lot of other Submarine movies. This one is often considered the best one ever made.

I've been studying German for a year and a half now in an adult education course (It was either this or Piano, and this takes up less wall space!). I have all sorts of vocabulary I never had before. The grammar is just spectacular, but at the slow pace they are teaching us I've managed to wrap my head around it so far. (As of last week I count at least five different ways of expressing the English word "the"!). I know my limits: at the pace a native speaker speaks my brain can't keep up so far, so I set the language to "English". Maybe next time we will do German with English subtitles!

The story is a full patrol by a single U-boat. The conditions are crowded and filthy, the stress is immense. The whole crew seems to age as the voyage passes and a few go a little crazy. It's what Star Trek would look like if Kirk and Co. never took showers and the Enterprise was the size of a city bus!

This movie is an immense challenge from an audio standpoint! You have all these scenes where a bunch of people are whispering trying to be quiet and then a depth charge goes off! I had to explain to my wife that there really wasn't a lot I could do about it! (The cats eventually came back upstairs from the basement...)

-bearing in mind this is a three hour movie and I finished up after midnight! (Surprised the cops didn't show up!)

It's a great movie and I'm glad to have it, just maybe next time I'll start earlier.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2017 03:21 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve - This film is one of those very rare cases where, when I watch it, I insist on listening to the original German soundtrack and read the English sub(!!!)titles.
Although my German is almost non existent,it keeps the authenticity of the situation very much alive.For those who do not know,the film is set on a German submarine.
The English soundtrack just does not work at all for me.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One step at a time, Melvin!

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2017 03:28 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha Ha!!

I have just checked the running time of my original uncut version (on DVD,not Blu Ray) and it comes in at a whacking 4 hours 42 minutes!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 27, 2017 03:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant movie Steve.

A while ago I watched this very interesting tour of U995 taken by a tourist....here is a link..

https://youtu.be/yXiSWPGy_gg

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2017 04:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was interesting was for a couple of minutes I was running English with English subtitles (didn’t mean to...) and it wasn’t always the same! That’s going to make interpreting the German a little challenging, I bet!

Warum kann ich nicht verstehen?

(Why can’t I understand?)

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2017 06:28 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big "Boot" fan, having the Director's Cut on DVD and Blu-ray and the full-length original series (as shown on German TV) on DVD...I believe the Director's Cut is coming soon on UHD-disc; I may just have to say "yes" again [Roll Eyes]

Claus

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 28, 2017 04:33 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve got the Blu Ray Steelbook, but not opened it yet as have it on DVD.

But this film is crammed full of what I felt the recent Dunkirk really lacked.

Don`t worry I really enjoyed Nolans film, but felt the 1958 one was far better.

What I was expecting was far more intenstity and feeling or over whelming panic, fear etc in the recent film.

Das Boot is absolutely full of it, but only in the german version really.

I noticed that Netflix now seems to have got the idea and have lots of great foriegn films on there with original dialogue now.

Might pop Das Boot on tonight.

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC