8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "Dr No" on blu-ray (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Dr No" on blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 12:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this blu-ray early on this week, I must say for a while now the prices of blu-ray titles have been getting cheaper. "Dr No" new was only $7 about 3 pound and boy does it look good [Cool]

"Dr No" was the first James Bond film, made in 1962, and although by todays standard some of the contents might seem corny its still really good. The image quality of this 56 year old movie is stunning...yes folks.. home entertainment has never looked so good [Smile]

Screen shots from last night [Cool]
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 12:47 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my print on 16mm is a good as that or better
I also have the trailer for dr no on 16mm lasts about 3 mins for sale at £30.00 inc postage

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 01:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Dont use this topic for sales [Roll Eyes] if you are selling the trailer then put it in 16mm films for sales...

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 02:59 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
the early bond films are the ones I like,"from Russia with love" is another great blu ray,well worth getting.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 03:05 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham I have this on Blu-Ray disc too as part of the BOND 50 Blu-Ray box set that was bought as a gift to me.

The only problem is that I have not yet been able to see it yet.

My player keep reading it as "Disc Unknown" along with some others.
My player I think need a software upgrade as other discs play fine.

However those screenshots look stunning and I look forward to seeing it via my Panasonic Video projector soon. [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 03:10 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, every time i see your superb blu ray screenshots it keeps me asking why im not doing the digital format seriously. To get an unblemished James Bond feature with an image like that on 16 or 8mm would leave me no change from a grand, as we see, just a trailer is £30,
Maybe,just maybe, you are the one who is making me think more than anyone. i know the initial outlay for a decent home theatre projector is a lot but they seem to be coming wayyyyy down in price now. [Wink]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 03:26 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great minds think alike,Tom, those screenshots of Grahams really do make me wonder why I don't get into blu ray projection.
A lot of my old b/w features are not great prints,and I suspect even a dvd on a decent projector might better them.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 03:38 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom and David... Don't hold back for too long you wont regret it in the long run.

I state that as a long time film collector and ex- Cinema Projectionist who still has some passion left for film.
Its by any means the cheapest , constant , consistent image quality you well ever get for your hard earned money. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 03:47 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched The Ghost Train DVD on my sons LCD WXGA projector 10 feet wide the other day and the image was absolutely stunning.

It is a top-ish end Office 4/3 machine ( £1400 new but to him £400 when he needed it for college, 6 months old but with 4 1/2 years guarantee and 97% of the lamp life left on it ) ) but the way it handles DVD and Blu Ray is often jaw dropping.

Better than many full HD machines even.

Best Mark.

PS the DR No Blu Ray looks nuts on it.

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 04:23 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Graham, the Bond frame-by-frame restoration masters are stunning, with vibrant colours, filmic grain and rich texture. From Russia with Love, You Only Live Twice, OHMSS, and The Man with the Golden Gun are amazing too.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 04:31 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will say my dr no and goldfinger on 16mm will beat any blu ray

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 05:39 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say big 16mm reels against a wee Blu Ray disc no contender in all out wrestling match.

Print quality Blu Ray has to be the winner unless you have Cubby and Harry's personal 16mm prints but each to their own.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 06:08 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lets see blu ray on a 20ft screen against a 500 watt xenon
it might be better than super 8 but not 16mm

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 06:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have got to love Sheriff J.W Pepper [Big Grin] brilliant car chase with Christopher Lee, Roger Moore and the one and only Clifton James..

https://youtu.be/6P7GT0E-5dU

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 04:47 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About three weeks ago the wife bought one of these new 4K televisions; I was interested in seeing what some of my DVDs would look like, so firstly watched 'Jason and the Argonauts', and later 'Zulu'. It was like watching something that had only been made last week instead of 50 years ago. The picture had an almost 3D look; but to be honest, I didn't enjoy it as much as watching my 16mm prints, and it will be a long time before they get a second airing. I was wondering, how many collectors own the perfect print on DVD or Blu-Ray, and then still buy a print when it becomes available?: I know I'm not the only one.

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 06:41 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't agree more, Robert, if you're comparing 16mm to a 4K backlit LCD or LED flat panel display. I believe they look synthetic and unengaging, where sadly-retired plasma and CRT displays were capable of much more organic, film-like images.

However, if you're watching a fine restoration Blu-ray or UHD disc on a calibrated 1080p or 2160p 'darker' chip projector from the likes of JVC, Epson or Sony, on a masked screen in a dimmed room, you can achieve a gloriously cinematic image. Research has also shown that you need a very large screen to perceive all the detail in a 2160p image.

I adore film, and tinker with it endlessly - and I certainly won't defend video to the hilt - but I find it absolutely extraordinary how far digital home cinema technologies have come just in the past five years.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 07:46 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Martin; I was wondering if there was a difference between the image on the 4K TV and digital projection. I preferred the image on the 2K HD TV which had a more filmic look.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 06, 2018 09:01 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Home digital projection is still relatively young, i certainly agree with everything said on here, it's a bit like the early days of Television, in a decades time i am sure that digital home cinema is going to be so good & priced within everyone's range, my earlier comments were merely me thinking, "look at Grahams Screenshots, why do we still pay hundreds of pounds for films when you can achieve this"? BUT, and i say it loud, it is because we love the way film is projected and the way it looks, and its what we do.
[Wink]

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 12:12 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it's a case of dvd or nothing as, very often, prints of your favourite films rarely come up, and when they do, it's more than you can afford. I'm just glad that I live in a day when I can have the best of both and enjoy both.

--------------------
Dave

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 06, 2018 04:07 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats exactly right David, Back when VCR was the big thing it would cost thousands to get big screen projection and the results were nothing near real film, where as today's electronic projection is now both affordable and in many cases first class,
tonight i borrowed a family members DVD of Dunkirk, unfortunately i watched it on the TV, i will viewing it again on my Epson, nothing like as good as what Graham has here but never the less it will be great, on the big screen, top class 5:1 sound and regretfully never be available on super 8, or 16mm, and if it was it would probably cost hundreds of pounds. so as you say, we are lucky to have the luxury of reel film but also excellent digital formats.
i think those Dr No images are absolutely spankin [Wink]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 06, 2018 04:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMO home digital projection, using blu-ray discs and 1080p projector is every bit as good, or even better, than professional cinema digital projection.
But 70mm is the king for sure.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 06, 2018 05:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading David and Martin comments regarding other James Bond titles that prompted to watch the blu-ray of "The Man With The Golden Gun" 1974, the follow on to "Live and Let Die" from 1973. I remember reading somewhere, that Roger Moore once said that Paul McCartney and Wings score on "Live and Let Die" was his favorite.

Anyway here are a couple of Screen shots from last night "Man With The Golden Gun" with poor ole Sheriff J.W. Pepper just happens to bump into Bond while on holiday in Bangkok.

For anyone owning the Look at Life film ""Shopping for a Queen" the shots of her as a burnt out wreck in Hong Kong harbour is sad end to a once beautiful liner.
 -
Image quality of the blu-ray is certainly excellent [Eek!]
 -
Is that a little Kodak Instamatic?...I had one of those long ago
 -
 -

I have to add, I always enjoyed Roger Moore as Bond at the cinema, even though the critics didn't...they were fun with lots of interesting visuals. [Smile]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 05:52 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw 'Live and Let Die' at the cinema in Llandudno. I believe he was first choice for Bond, but was tied up with 'The Saint'.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 06, 2018 05:55 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, I`d rate your LCD projector as pretty fliipin good, and especially good on B+W for LCD.

I would`nt think you need anything better.

Get the Dunkirk DVD though it, should blow your wall out.

Mind you the DVD quality won`t be so far way from the Blu Ray.

For me 1080p is all you could ever need to watch films.

I thinl LCD looks very filmie myself. Or better.

Best Mark.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2018 12:27 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham ... I finally got round to watching my Blu-Ray disc of
DR NO and I too agree it is a stunning transfer indeed.

Vastly superior to the previous transfers on DVD and Laserdisc and VHS tapes.

These are very soft and lacking detail and resolution and overall sharpness when compared with this Blu-Ray transfer.

Now I do wonder if ANY surviving 16mm or even 35mm copy would look as good as this disc does.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC